Apr 26, 2001, 10:54 AM
Professional Goofball
Thread OP

New Indoor RC Club in Orange County, CA

Come join other ezoners in Orange County. I am working with NIRAC (National Indoor Radio-Controlled Aircraft Council) and Carl Maas to get a local chapter together and fly indoors in Orange County. The Blimp hangers in Tustin are a consideration as well as several other locations. We would like to extend an invitation to you to join us in creating a new club and a new chapter of NIRAC. We are in the infancy stages and need others to come forth so that we may present ourselves as a group to AMA as well as local communities and potential flying sites. If you are interested please email me at compboywonder@hotmail.com. You can visit the NIRAC web site at http://www.nirac.org. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Jeffrey Park
compboywonder@hotmail.com
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2001, 04:24 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
Hey we could race 400 pylon in those blimp hangers, largest free standing structures in the world.
Apr 27, 2001, 10:02 AM
Professional Goofball
Thread OP
I can't believe it... Al least ten people have emailed me about joining the club. WooHoo. As it stands right now we are going to have our first semi-official meeting this coming Thursday at 7:30 in Fullerton. We are trying to get a location that will be big enough and will not mind if we are a little noisy. I'm looking at a couple pizza places but will have the final location worked out before the weekend. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Jeffrey Park
Ocmodels
NIRAC
Apr 27, 2001, 10:21 AM
Should it be doing that?
Yeah! I work near them (right next to the Taco Bell building). That would be cool to fly there at lunch! (If they will open it up to us)
Apr 27, 2001, 04:21 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Count me in too! I work and live down the street from those hangers. I always wonder if they would let us fly in there. I believe the whole Tustin base is leased to some school board for educational uses.

Indoor pylon race would be cool! How about some lite stick pyllon races? :-)

By the way, these hangers are largest WOODEN free standing structure in the world. ;-)
Apr 28, 2001, 06:46 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
The largest free standing wooden structure is in Lakehurst NJ. This is where the Hindenberg was stored.

BTW: The Hindenberg was the largest "blimp"

Now, what is the second largest free standing wooden structure?

The hangar where the Graff Zeppelin was housed. The Graf was the sisiter ship to the Hindenberg and it burned in the hangar. You can still see the chared marks on it.
Apr 29, 2001, 03:10 PM
Go get them Meg!
Actually The Hindenberg was a dirigible, not a blimp. The largest blimp was the US navy's ZPG-3W at 403' long.
The Hindenberg's sister ship the Graf Zeppelin LZ-130 was dismantled by the Nazis, at the same time as the first Graf Zeppelin LZ-127 in May 1940.
So were their hangers in Frankfurt.
May 07, 2001, 01:46 PM
Professional Goofball
Thread OP
A meeting time, date and location have been set. The first meeting of the Orange County Radio-contral Aircraft Association has been set for Thursday the 10th at 7:30pm. The meeting will be heald at the Fullerton Senior Multi Purpose Center at 340 W. Commonwealth Ave. Fullerton CA. 92832. The meeting will go on to 9:30pm. Bring your friends as well as your current or past project for show and tell. I'll see you all there.

Jeffrey Park
May 08, 2001, 11:46 AM
Professional Goofball
Thread OP
Anyone who is interested in coming to the meeting, please send me an email to let me know. Thank you,

Jeffrey Park
May 11, 2001, 07:49 PM
Professional Goofball
Thread OP
The first meeting for the Indoor flyers in Orange County was a success. A flying site has been secured and we will be having our first flying event this Tuesday May 15th at the Whittier Church of Christ located at 8155 South Painter Ave. just north of Whittier Blvd. The Gym and parking are located in the back of the church. The meeting and flying will begin at 7:00pm till 9:30pm. If you are able to make it to the meeting please call or email me to let me know.

Hope to see you there,
Jeffrey Park
714-396-0521
May 12, 2001, 07:53 PM
I ran right out and bought a Litestick from Hobby Peeps for Tuesday's shindig. I read at least 25 pages of mods people are making to Litesticks on various websites. I always wonder why the kit makers don't better optimize prop diameters, pitches, dihedral, surface hinging, etc.,etc. before putting kits on the market.
Jan 09, 2024, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I ran right out and bought a Litestick from Hobby Peeps for Tuesday's shindig. I read at least 25 pages of mods people are making to Litesticks on various websites. I always wonder why the kit makers don't better optimize prop diameters, pitches, dihedral, surface hinging, etc.,etc. before putting kits on the market.
Anything ever come of this indoor flying?
Jan 10, 2024, 01:38 PM
We flew a few times in local school and church gyms but janitors wouldn't show up to unlock entrances, permits were rescinded, etc. Tried to get permission for flying in Tustin LTA hangars, never happened. I don't know why getting and keeping indoor flying space is so difficult here in SoCal. Maybe a few are doing it and keeping it a secret nowadays. Maybe the AMA could assist using youth STEM approaches.
Jan 12, 2024, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
We flew a few times in local school and church gyms but janitors wouldn't show up to unlock entrances, permits were rescinded, etc. Tried to get permission for flying in Tustin LTA hangars, never happened. I don't know why getting and keeping indoor flying space is so difficult here in SoCal. Maybe a few are doing it and keeping it a secret nowadays. Maybe the AMA could assist using youth STEM approaches.
I suppose it’s a matter of “what’s in it for us?” Maybe you’d have to find someone, who is in charge of the location, who is also active in the hobby?
Jan 15, 2024, 03:34 PM
If the AMA has interest in promoting indoor flying, they might be able to help contacting public and parochial school systems, etc. Personally, I have little continued interest in indoor flying and only became involved with my grandson years ago. Also, I remember having to pay $5 per session, even back then, which youngsters may find excessive. There seems to have been questions of liability insurance and unfounded concerns over property damage.

Quick Reply