What the Heck Wednesday - F18 Meets a Tree

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video of an Art-Tech F18 EDF jet being flown in a small area with lots of trees around.

Splash

Flying in Tight Spaces = Risky Maneuvers

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video of an Art-Tech F18 EDF jet being flown in a small area with lots of trees around. The pilot is a youngster and has some great skills showing inverted flight and other aerobatics. There were some close calls early on, but then he collides with a tree around the 1:52 mark.

He was making a low slow pass over a driveway and then gunned the throttle. The plane was sent into a flat left yaw turn (stall perhaps?) and that put the plane right into the path of a tree. He nearly saved it, but caught the edge of the tree branches and that put the plane on the ground. The damage doesn't look too bad so a little glue and some TLC and that plane will be back in the air soon.

Was this just a weird stall, pilot error, or something else? What do you think happened?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Dec 08, 2021, 12:19 PM
No doubt that the kid can fly. Low airspeed, high angle of attack, no prop wash over the controls, only one way to go from there...down.
Dec 08, 2021, 12:31 PM
Not bad! I'll buy him some glue.
Dec 08, 2021, 03:58 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Pure fun!
Dec 09, 2021, 12:00 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
Good flying, but seems to be much more open space just a short walk in either direction.

Elmo Te
Dec 09, 2021, 12:04 PM
I think he was flying his F18 more like an A10.
Dec 10, 2021, 07:47 PM
LOL this was me. As I was doing the high angle of attack, I thought I was going to be able to recover it, (this jet can fly SUPER slow) it did start to stall out and turn to the left. This was just going to be a quick video and a "mess around" flight. I gunned the throttle and put in full right aileron and in about half a second, I realized it wasn't going to work so I attempted to recover it going to the left. My neighbors are completely fine with me flying around their houses. I respect that and want to keep it that way. I don't fly anything very big and fast around houses. I go to a municipal airport for that. That tree has also caught an E Flite Maule M7 1.5m. At the top. I have a video on that. It was a very interesting day... I was looking for the new XFLY jet and went to images, and saw my art tech F18. I was like "what the heck" hahaha.
Dec 10, 2021, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB RC
LOL this was me. As I was doing the high angle of attack, I thought I was going to be able to recover it, (this jet can fly SUPER slow) it did start to stall out and turn to the left. This was just going to be a quick video and a "mess around" flight. I gunned the throttle and put in full right aileron and in about half a second, I realized it wasn't going to work so I attempted to recover it going to the left. My neighbors are completely fine with me flying around their houses. I respect that and want to keep it that way. I don't fly anything very big and fast around houses. I go to a municipal airport for that. That tree has also caught an E Flite Maule M7 1.5m. At the top. I have a video on that. It was a very interesting day... I was looking for the new XFLY jet and went to images, and saw my art tech F18. I was like "what the heck" hahaha.
I'm just glad that there are still young people like you enjoying this hobby. Not many of us older guys are comfortable flying in such confined spaces. Thanks for recording this video.
Dec 14, 2021, 09:02 PM
Great! It reminds me of how/where I flew 45 years ago!
Dec 14, 2021, 09:35 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
But with screaming Cox 049’s !

RF
Dec 20, 2021, 11:59 PM
1. not a driveway, but a public road. Hes standing in his driveway, there's a house down the street..Granted, its a foamy edf and not super fast.
2. He has skills, but no brains..
Why, one car at the wrong time and thats a lawsuit his parents won't be happy about.

I don't condone flying any rc outside the confines of a safe area..its one thing if its a micro..they can do back yards easily, even indoors if theres enough room, but something that size..a public space like that..nuh uh.

Its best to teach that habit early..go where its safe to fly..this hobby has claimed enough lives, has caused enough injuries...no sense risking more.

I know I'll get flamed some for this post and my response is whatever..hope you have good attorneys..because if that were you and something bad happened, the first thing their attorney would ask "Were you flying in an AMA or FAA approved zone for hobby rc aircraft?" You would have to answer no..case lost, plaintiff rests.
If you killed somebody..the wrongful death suit alone would bankrupt your great great grandkids. Then theres the jail time for at minimum criminal negligence, if not manslaughter. Most of us have some skill..but its not if you can fly..its if that aircraft has a malfunction...at the wrong time, or something happens you don't expect or don't see happening in time to keep the aircraft clear..in this case, it could have been simply, a kid on a bycycle. A low pass, kid hit, kid in hospital or worse..When I'm flying, my focus is on the plane. I have often flown when no one else was there, nobody around..but at an rc club flying field. I locked the gate behind me so nobody could wander in..did my flying, went home. I would drive 30 miles one way to do it..simply because I didn't have to worry about anything...but the plane. It didn't matter if it was a parkzone foamy or a 1/5th warbird..whatever I wanted to fly, happened there.

Its just not worth the risk to fly outside of AMA protection, even for someone that age.
Last edited by TXmustangflyer; Dec 21, 2021 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply