Hobbyking - Updated Rhino and ZIPPY Lipo Batteries

Check out the Rhino and Zippo lipo updates...

Splash

Hobbyking Lipo Update

Hobbyking reached out and want me to share this info...

Rhino Lipos

Known for their high and consistent discharge rates, the Rhino line of RC batteries is your low-cost alternative for high-performance LiPo batteries. Utilizing our patented technology, energy loss due to excess heat is greatly reduced which in turn, greatly increases the efficiency and run-time of your LiPos.

Rhino batteries also leverage high-conductivity electrolytes, which when combined with its inherently low internal resistance, allows for incredibly high outputs that truly pack a punch. Available in a wide range of capacities and dimensions, Rhino batteries can be used for most applications including RC cars, planes, boats, helicopters, and drones.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE UPDATED RHINO LIPOS

Zippy Compact Lipos

The ZIPPY line of RC batteries is known to be one of the most affordable, yet high-performance brands on the market today. The signature series "COMPACT" offers LiPo and LiFePo4 batteries at smaller sizes while still retaining high capacities and discharge rates.

The smaller dimensions make ZIPPY perfect for models with limited battery space or ones that require a specific configuration. Available in both hard and soft packs, ZIPPY batteries can be used for RC cars, planes, boats, helicopters, and drones of all shapes and sizes.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE UPDATED ZIPPY LIPOS

Last edited by Jim T.; Dec 07, 2021 at 01:57 PM..
Dec 07, 2021, 02:31 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Specs and color are real close to RCBattery Liperior. Same batteries, different labels?
Dec 07, 2021, 02:51 PM
Do not insult Richard like that please
Dec 08, 2021, 01:12 AM
Too heavy...
6s Zippy compact 3300 60C is 560gr :-(
Vs. 6s Hrb 4000 60C, 596gr ....
Vs. 6s SMC 3600 470gr... ;-)
Dec 08, 2021, 11:04 AM
Some of the masses are very high. So much so that one might suspect some of the higher discharge rate packs, simply have their capacity understated to allow a higher C rate be advertised. There's absolutely no benefit to anyone buying such a pack but anyone just looking at capacity and voltage but not paying attention to mass could be fooled.

On the other hand, have a look at these two packs side by side:

ZIPPY Compact 1500mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
Spec
Capacity: 1500mAh
Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1V
Discharge: 25C Constant / 35C Burst
Weight: 143g (including wire & plug)
Dimensions: 106x34x21mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT60
Price: 12.06

ZIPPY Compact 1500mAh 3s 40c Lipo Pack
Spec
Capacity: 1500mAh
Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1V
Discharge: 40C Constant / 50C Burst
Weight: 139g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 107x34x20mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT60
Price: 12.16

These two packs have the same voltage and capacity spec, and use the same connectors. Dimensionally they are almost, but not quite, identical. The 25C pack weighs 4g more and only costs 0.10 less. The 40C pack has the same capacity but will presumably hold voltage better and last better for any given load since it's operating further within it's discharge limits. It also weights less and the only penalty based on the information available is a paltry 1% additional cost.
Why on earth would anyone who understands the specs buy the 25C/35C version???????

In general these packs seem to have disconcerting variances in energy density, discharge rate and mass.
Dec 08, 2021, 12:06 PM
Yes, for me consistency is a huge and very important indicator of quality.

These brands are really just relabeling outlets from whatever hodgepodge of actual makers' bulk clearance sales.

Sometimes you get lucky...
Dec 20, 2021, 05:29 PM
JohnVHRC
Great batteries, I have both!
Latest blog entry: Bennu! GoGo Bird Review
Dec 21, 2021, 02:25 AM
I am a bit skeptical of Rhinos, and even moreso of Zippy Compact.

Re Rhinos, I have :

1.) two 4S 2200s - experience after many cycles - actually very good. No complaints. They were super cheap too, so value for money, given what is available to me here in Germany, is flat out unbeatable IMVHO, period. They were like €16...

2.) two 4S 3300s - experience after many flights is that these are basically Graphene level quality. They are heavy, and frankly absolutely top quality lipos. As good as they come.

And 3.) three 6S 4000s. One showed up defective, and HK - to their credit - sent me a new one. I revived the bad one, kind of, but it is dodgy and out of balance, AS IS the replacement. So of the three I don't totally trust two of them. The replacement was giving me dodgy cell readings in flight - so it was having unusually high voltage sag for a nearly new lipo. Just a Taft Yak 11 - so no high-power EDF or anything..

So anyway, I would buy more 4S, but I am wary of the 6S. I did buy four more 4S 2200s, as well as two 3S 2200s. Have not used them yet though.

Re Zippy Compact:

I have two of the 4S 2200 60Cs, and they do not stay in balance as well as the Turnigy HDs. Same with a couple of 4S 2700s. I would try to not buy them again unless on sale... Keeping in mind Liperior and co are not available over here. Lipos from German shops cost 2-3 times as much as the better lipos from HK...(HDs, for ex..)

So anyway, I don't know if these two brands really have been improved, but in my experience and view, there is room for improvement... To me the Turnigy HD 60Cs are THE standard(again, what is available to me..), and in my experience but also based on what I have read of other peoples's experiences, they are not quite up to that level. To be fair though, the Rhinos anyway were incredibly cheap... OK for the 3S and 4S, but even getting a 6S 4000 for €32, well if it's dodgy, that's a bad deal if it's just a paperweight...
Dec 21, 2021, 06:10 AM
I had 2 zippies go bad just sitting on the shelf. Puffed up so bad I was afraid of them. I will never buy another one.
Dec 21, 2021, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill
I had 2 zippies go bad just sitting on the shelf. Puffed up so bad I was afraid of them. I will never buy another one.
Storage voltage or high SoC?
Dec 21, 2021, 10:51 AM