PowerBox Atom 18-Channel Radio

Here's some info on the PowerBox Atom radio coming early next year.

Splash

The Atom is Coming in February

Here's some info on the PowerBox Atom radio coming early next year.

"With our ATOM remote control system, a new standard is introduced in the upper middle class segment. With a lot of know-how from CORE, a new development of the electronics, adapted software, a smaller Linux computer and a restructuring of the housing production, a system could be created that is unparalleled in terms of price-performance. Above all, the ingeniously simple operating concept has been adopted 1: 1 from the CORE, even model files can be exchanged between ATOM and CORE. When it comes to redundancy, there are typically no compromises in PowerBox: the radio system and the power supply are redundant."

The Atom looks great and has a ton of features. Selling price is around $1790. Is this radio on your list of upgrades for next year? What do you like about it or what do you not like about it? Tell me below down in the comments.

See the PowerBox Atom Radio Here

Dec 07, 2021, 09:51 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Full channel assignability and fully proportional channels at full resolution from channel 1 through channel 18

Functions and flight modes allow you to do just about anything

A screen you can read in broad daylight

Rock solid RF connection, full range telemetry, hall effect gimbals that are smooth as butter.
Dec 07, 2021, 12:30 PM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
I would like to see a comparison chart doc. so we can see the real differences between the Core 26 and Atom 18
Dec 07, 2021, 01:14 PM
FJH
FJH
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreless
I would like to see a comparison chart doc. so we can see the real differences between the Core 26 and Atom 18
Core.................. Atom
..26.........................18...........number of channels
4096................. 2048............servo/channel signal resolution
..12..........................6.............flight modes
€ 2490,-...........€ 1590,-.........listed price
Last edited by FJH; Dec 07, 2021 at 01:26 PM.
Dec 07, 2021, 01:25 PM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
Thanks FJH.
so the channel price point is a little bit lower now.
if they ever release a 12ch Tx it will beat the Jeti DS12 pricing for sure

2490 / 26 = 95,77
1590 / 18 = 88,33
Dec 07, 2021, 01:30 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
Core.................. Atom
..26.........................18...........number of channels
4096................. 2048............servo/channel signal resolution
..12..........................6.............flight modes
€ 2490,-...........€ 1590,-.........listed price
The Atom can only bind 2 rx's per model, the Core will do 4 is the other difference.
Dec 07, 2021, 01:55 PM
Julian T
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
The Atom can only bind 2 rx's per model, the Core will do 4 is the other difference.
If that is it the Core becomes superfluous for 99.9% of flyers, apart from flight modes perhaps - bragging rights excepted of course It will be interesting to see if this allows PB to make more significant inroads with mainstream buyers. I have always liked and used PB equipment (gyros, switches, etc.) but never enough to justify the cost of change. They are still very thin on the ground in the UK, even more than Jeti, but it's good to have another manufacturer not driven totally by production cost criteria.
Dec 07, 2021, 01:59 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I have the Core, but I think the sales will lend themselves to the Atom among most scale and warbird guys, the jet guys will probably stick with the Core.

I love the the Core, in feel and function it's an amazing radio that does away with many limitations found on other systems.

You turn on the wifi and hit update to update the firmware, you can push firmware updates from the transmitter to receivers just by a tap of a button.

I could go on and on
Dec 07, 2021, 02:33 PM
In which way is it better than tx16s to justify $1790?
Jan 01, 2022, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
I have the Core, but I think the sales will lend themselves to the Atom among most scale and warbird guys, the jet guys will probably stick with the Core.

I love the the Core, in feel and function it's an amazing radio that does away with many limitations found on other systems.

You turn on the wifi and hit update to update the firmware, you can push firmware updates from the transmitter to receivers just by a tap of a button.
;
I could go on and on
PB Core
Is there some detailed help for programming mixes and virtual switch uses. Just like a simple full span aileron ; flap ; crow mix. Or like the spectrum flap system mix without manually programming everything ?

Most of the YouTube videos are basic and don't really get into more advanced stuff

Rich
Jan 02, 2022, 08:50 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Once you wrap your head around functions it will all fall into place. It's really not that difficult.
Jan 02, 2022, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ53
PB Core
Is there some detailed help for programming mixes and virtual switch uses. Just like a simple full span aileron ; flap ; crow mix. Or like the spectrum flap system mix without manually programming everything ?

Most of the YouTube videos are basic and don't really get into more advanced stuff

Rich
There are some of videos on YT, this one (
Powerbox Core Programmierung 6 Klappenflügel Teil 1 (23 min 9 sec)
) explains the programing of a 6 flaps wing - its german but you can use google translations).

But for a general understanding: you do not program mixers in the usual way. You program functions and the radio does the mixing.
Letīs say we have a v-tail. A v-tail replaces ruder and elevator and uses the same servos. On Core you have to program a function called "Rudder" where you define the stick, things like DR and Expo, Trimming, and you assign two servos, say 2 and 3 and you have to program the servos (you define the direction of movement and the throw) in a way that the they move left when the Rudder stick is in left position and the same for the right stick position. For the elevator you program a second function called "Elevator,, you select the stick, define expo and DR or a dedicated curve, select the trimming switch, and select servos 2 and 3 (same as on rudder, but they run in different directions and might have different throws when moving the elevator stick. From the programing perspective you treat the functions as they were independent from each other, you program only the servos and their behaviour from the stick perspective. In case your functions share the same servos (as in the v-tail sample), the radio does the mixing for you: when you move the elevator stick up and down the v-tail will move up and down and when you move the rudder they will move to let and right, or you will get a mixed movement when you move both sticks. In the overview you will get all functions and all servos, so you īll get a good overview which stick influences which servos. I do not know any radio that can handle complexity so good ( I have 12 servos in my Arcus wing)
Jan 02, 2022, 01:29 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Exactly!
This is a pseudo F-18, the real 18 uses toe in rudders during takeoff and high alpha. To duplicate this (just because I could) I created a function called it Toe In, assigned it to one of the side sliders, assigned the 2 rudder servos, in the Toe In function I reversed one rudder servo and set the end points so they don't go toe out. All this without affecting the rudder setup. Now I have toe in available on the right slider that serves no function that i can tell on a model but it looks cool and scale.

One thing that surprised me, there's no heli programming so I set about setting up a CCPM heli, I created functions for elevator and assigned the 3 swash servos, aileron the 2 opposing swash servos and collective using all 3. Again, setting each function is possible just by moving the stick and setting up the proper servo response in that function, when I was done you could stir the cyclic stick and watch the swash, other radios using their canned CCPM setup the swash would bobble up and down slightly as the mixing was processed, called interaction. There was NONE with the CORE, you could stir the stick as fast as you wanted and it didn't move up and down at all.
Jan 02, 2022, 09:34 PM
$1750 for a radio? Nope I will pass
Jan 03, 2022, 04:55 AM
Why don’t you work out what a top end ProLine would cost you in today’s money? Please get back to us, thanks.

Quick Reply