Dec 06, 2021, 10:06 PM
Thread OP
Careful!

HeliDirect Price Match Not-Guaranteed?

Okay, after several back and forth emails with HeliDirect, I have decided to share my experience dealing with this vendor and hopefully it could be helpful to folks here. So I have been thinking of getting a RadioMaster TX16s radio for a while and thought that I should pull the trigger during the Black Friday this year. Since I had several orders from HeliDirect in the past and they all went very well so I decided to purchase from them.

On November 26, I ordered a RadioMaster TX16s Hall version Gold Edition from HeliDirect along with a few other items: https://www.helidirect.com/products/...r-gold-edition
Name: HeliDirect.png
Views: 20
Size: 358.5 KB
Description:

The price that I paid for this radio was $197.99 which was their Black Friday promotion. I then quickly noticed that PyroDrone had it for sale at $159.00 - See screenshot below:
Name: PyroDrone TX16S Gold.png
Views: 13
Size: 1.41 MB
Description: PyroDrone has the same radio for sale at 9.00.

Since I saw that on the page of every single product on HeliDirect, there's a button called "Price Match Guarantee" - it's not quite common that RC hobby stores do this and I was really impressed so I immediately asked them if they could match the price. I quickly received an email from David Le saying that the item sold on PyroDrone was not the same as theirs and they were sure that the radio does not come with hall sensor gimbals. I tried to share the screenshot which clearly states that the radio does have hall sensors but David insisted that the radio is different. I then confirmed with PyroDone staff regarding the hall sensors and the answer was definitely positive (can share email if anybody is interested). Okay fine, so they did not match the price because they believed that the radio is different from what I ordered on HeliDirect.

A while later, I noticed that Heli Nation had the same radio for sale at $140 and I shared the info with David because his rationale to decline my price match guarantee was different radios. I double checked that this one on HeliNation is 100% same and has Hall sensor gimbals:
Name: Heli-Nation TX16S Gold.png
Views: 10
Size: 524.9 KB
Description:

His reply to me was "I'm so sorry that we can't match price.† You can order it from Pyrodrone directly." Okay, okay, the answer is simple "we can't match". I was just curious as to why you provide "Price Match Guarantee" while you can't fulfill it? They are legit and reliable vendors not some no name persons on eBay or Amazon. I have done a few price match guarantees in the past from different vendors and they all honored. I mean, HeliDirect doesn't have to offer this feature, but if you do, and then decline the request, for what?

At that point, I was already very tired and disappointed so I was going to take David's suggestion and buy from PyroDrone. I asked him about returning the product. I also asked him if they could provide a return shipping label. Here's his answer:
"I can send you the RMA number but not the Return label.† You will responsible to send the item back to us for the refund.† Also, if you return for the refund, you will be charge for the shipping cost because the other items were not meet Free shipping without the transmitter.† I just let you know up front so you don't be surprised.† Please let me know if you still want to return so I can set up the RMA for you."

I mean, really? They have to deduct the shipping cost that I was not originally charged? I really have never experienced any vendors doing this before. Admittedly, the items not including the radio were worth less than $100 hence did not qualify for free shipping, but this is still the very first time that such thing happened to me. Maybe other vendors were just too nice or maybe HeliDirect believe it was beyond their business policy?

Anyway, I'm frustrated for the time being, primarily because:
1. If HeliDirect does not want to match prices, then they should not deliver a wrong message to the customers so that have unrealistic expectation. After all, as a RC hobby store, they do not have to provide this option to their customers as most don't do.
2. If you believe the price is below your expectation, you should bring it up front right off the bat and not use the excuse such as the items are different - if that's the reason, then why can't you match the $140 one?
3. I am willing to pay return shipping but then the original shipping cost has to be deducted from the refund for a free shipping order? Is this really how you would like to treat your customers, as a reputable vendor?
Last edited by neosunrise; Dec 06, 2021 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2021, 06:13 AM
I hear ya, I believe its got something to do the way Radiomaster has their resellers setup? Who knows...
I bought a Radiomaster tx12 from Grayson Hobby back on May 3rd. for $69. Once it arrived, the screen wasn't working properly. I contacted them & they wanted me to pay $15 to ship it back for another one. Well, 4 days after I purchased it, they raised the price to $89 (apparently due to chip shortage) So I called there and talked to Will. He gave me a runaround that made no sense. So he finally said he'd take it back, but Id have to now pay the 30% higher price of $89 - Yea? So after arguing with him, I contacted Radiomaster. They said they'll just send a replacement screen for me to replace myself. When Radiomaster got back with me, they said the replacement screen would have to be sent from China due to authorized warranty part not being available in the states. Well Grayson Hobby showed they had it in stock. And they are the U.S. Authorized Parts warranty dealer. I have no proof, but I'm convinced Will didn't want to cooperate with Radiomaster just to punish me for arguing with him. It took 2-1/2 months to arrive and it wasn't the problem. Now they said they would send a main board. Same thing happened. Grayson hobby had the board in stock, but they told me it would have to be sent from China. Mind you, Grayson Hobby is the area warranty dealer. Well the board just arrived 2 weeks ago, & it solved the problem, 7 months after purchase. I will no longer buy from Grayson Hobby ever again, along with every other hobbyist in my rather large American Automotive Company Union Local I wont mention. Moral of the story, be careful who you buy from, And stand up for your customers if your a seller.....
Dec 07, 2021, 09:54 AM
- Passing Through -
I don’t think many retailers offer price match during a holiday. Best Buy for instance, offers no price matching the day before Thanksgiving through the following Monday. This is because some retailers will sell at a loss to get you buying. Not that this is the case here, but they would probably be more inclined if it wasn’t holiday/sale pricing.
Dec 07, 2021, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrreddog
I hear ya, I believe its got something to do the way Radiomaster has their resellers setup? Who knows...
I bought a Radiomaster tx12 from Grayson Hobby back on May 3rd. for $69. Once it arrived, the screen wasn't working properly. I contacted them & they wanted me to pay $15 to ship it back for another one. Well, 4 days after I purchased it, they raised the price to $89 (apparently due to chip shortage) So I called there and talked to Will. He gave me a runaround that made no sense. So he finally said he'd take it back, but Id have to now pay the 30% higher price of $89 - Yea? So after arguing with him, I contacted Radiomaster. They said they'll just send a replacement screen for me to replace myself. When Radiomaster got back with me, they said the replacement screen would have to be sent from China due to authorized warranty part not being available in the states. Well Grayson Hobby showed they had it in stock. And they are the U.S. Authorized Parts warranty dealer. I have no proof, but I'm convinced Will didn't want to cooperate with Radiomaster just to punish me for arguing with him. It took 2-1/2 months to arrive and it wasn't the problem. Now they said they would send a main board. Same thing happened. Grayson hobby had the board in stock, but they told me it would have to be sent from China. Mind you, Grayson Hobby is the area warranty dealer. Well the board just arrived 2 weeks ago, & it solved the problem, 7 months after purchase. I will no longer buy from Grayson Hobby ever again, along with every other hobbyist in my rather large American Automotive Company Union Local I wont mention. Moral of the story, be careful who you buy from, And stand up for your customers if your a seller.....
That's a terrible experience! I'm feel sorry for you. They should've just replaced the radio in the first place...
Dec 07, 2021, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Machine
I donít think many retailers offer price match during a holiday. Best Buy for instance, offers no price matching the day before Thanksgiving through the following Monday. This is because some retailers will sell at a loss to get you buying. Not that this is the case here, but they would probably be more inclined if it wasnít holiday/sale pricing.
I agree, and maybe they should've taken down the "Price Match Guarantee" icon during the holiday season and then bring it back afterward?
Dec 08, 2021, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosunrise
I agree, and maybe they should've taken down the "Price Match Guarantee" icon during the holiday season and then bring it back afterward?
Agreed.... They give the buyer a false sense of security. If they were a stand up, customer focused shop, they would stick to their advertising claims & take care of the problem after the fact. I know Pyrodrone will be there for you when something like this happens, They have really good customer service. I hope things work out for you. Happy Holidays..
Dec 12, 2021, 06:10 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Neo...in a case like this, take your money elsewhere in the future.

Sucks they have this attitude about a common product - even though they hide behind the "it's not the same radio" excuse. How WEAK.

Customer is king.... they find this out the hard way sometimes.
Last edited by kydawg1; Dec 12, 2021 at 06:18 AM.
Dec 12, 2021, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrreddog View Post
Agreed.... They give the buyer a false sense of security. If they were a stand up, customer focused shop, they would stick to their advertising claims & take care of the problem after the fact. I know Pyrodrone will be there for you when something like this happens, They have really good customer service. I hope things work out for you. Happy Holidays..
Thanks Mrreddog! I'm glad to hear that you have great after-sale experience with PyroDrone. I (maybe not just me) can be only on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Neo...in a case like this, take your money elsewhere in the future.

Sucks they have this attitude about a common product - even though they hide behind the "it's not the same radio" excuse. How WEAK.

Customer is king.... they find this out the hard way sometimes.
Definitely, and sadly they didn't think this way, and I'm certainly not someone they feel worth to retain, but that's fine - there are many other vendors who care their customers.

Quick Reply