This thread is privately moderated by Calypso6858, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 06, 2021, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Obscure Airplane Highlight of the Day : Savoia-Marchetti S.56

Savoia-Marchetti S.56: The S.56 was a classy little Italian amphibian from the 1920s. It was developed in the early 20s as a seaplane trainer and touring airplane. Itís unusual cockpit configuration had seats for two up front with side by side controls and a third seat in a separate cockpit behind with no controls.

Initially it was pulled along by a 70hp Anzani but it was soon replaced by a 80hp version and had its wings lengthened. Throughout its production it received larger and larger radials up to 135hp. The engine was mounted on a nacelle which hung below the bottom of the top wing almost directly above the occupants.

Interestingly the S.56 was fairly popular in the US market. In 1929 AAC (American Aeronautical Corporation) began producing the airplane under license. The US version was powered with a 90hp Kinner and spawned another stranger variant. The Budd Company (an industrial company) decided to build one entirely out of stainless steel. The Budd Pioneer as it was named, proved to be a successful airplane. Successful in that it did fly and float. Not so much in production as it was the only one built.

In total there were around 70 of them built with the majority of them being American built. Today I believe there are two surviving examples with one being in a museum in Italy and one at Fantasy of Flight in Florida.
Last edited by Calypso6858; Dec 07, 2021 at 02:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2021, 10:07 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Definitely an interesting plane!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 07, 2021, 12:37 AM
Sorry, but I must correct you: the plane company was SAVOIA-MARCHETTI (not SOVIA) later on SIAI-MARCHETTI.
Dec 07, 2021, 02:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle60
Sorry, but I must correct you: the plane company was SAVOIA-MARCHETTI (not SOVIA) later on SIAI-MARCHETTI.
Corrected. Not sure how I misspelled it in the title but I had it correct in the article.
Dec 07, 2021, 10:47 AM
Probably just a typing mistake : forgettable ( I make so many!!)
Dec 10, 2021, 07:57 PM
Nice! Thanks for showing it.

Quick Reply