This thread is privately moderated by R_G, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 05, 2021, 10:47 AM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
New Product

Balsa Triangle Stock Stripper

After trying various ways to cut balsa into triangle stock and not being very happy with the results I decided to design my own tri-stock stripper and came up with this handy little tool. With it I've been able to get consistent results stripping balsa sticks as long as 36". It's designed to work with soft to medium weight balsa and can produce 1/8”, 5/32”, 3/16”, 1/4”, 5/16” & 3/8” tri-stock. With the optional 1/2” adapter, 1/2” triangle stock can be made. Hard balsa will not work very well and will most likely jam and possibly damage the tool.

This tool is produced on a Formlabs Form3 SLA 3D resin printer utilizing their Tough 2000 resin. It is very durable.

For anyone that might be interested the stripper is available for purchase through my website here.

Ralph
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2021, 09:31 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Thought I'd post a few photos of one of the early prototypes during testing. This prototype is essentially the same as the final product with a few dimensional differences and the resin used was not the Tough 2000 that the final version is made from.

The first couple photos are before & after of a test with a short piece of 1/2" square stock. This particular piece of balsa was quite a bit harder than what I would recommend people use. It strained the stripper a bit but I was able force it through. Definitely not good practice though!

The next two photos show a 36" piece of 5/16" square stock. This piece of balsa was more in line as far as weight & hardness goes with what should be used. It was of medium weight and fairly straight grain and I was able to push it through the stripper with relative ease. The result was two nice pieces of 5/16" triangle stock.

The trick with this tool, aside from using the proper weight wood, is to size the square stick so that it slides easily through the adapters without excessive play. The stick should slightly drag through, but not bind up in the adapters.

Until I have a video ready I hope this little explanation will help answer some questions.

Ralph
Jan 01, 2022, 04:30 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
I finally have the video ready!

Ralph

Balsa Triangle Stock Stripper, Cutter (7 min 12 sec)

Quick Reply