Dec 03, 2021, 08:58 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Discussion

Sand a sphere?

Right, sand a sphere- how would you finish sand a sphere without causing flat spots? I am sure that there are many methods out there-
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2021, 10:39 AM
Where's the pond?
Lathe. Blanchard grinder.
Dec 03, 2021, 10:55 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Sorry Pat-not enough info given- the "sphere is a half sphere, is made of polyester fiberglass, is 4" in diameter and is bonded to the front and rear(the pressure domes) of my Atlantis sub model. needs to be primed, spot puttied and finish sanded.

Sanding sponge? steel wool?
Dec 03, 2021, 10:58 AM
size? a few ways to use a lathe come to mind,, could you drill it and glue in a stub shaft and chuck it up in a drill?
Dec 03, 2021, 11:00 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Lathe. Blanchard grinder.
A lathe might help, but a Blanchard grinder is used to make flat surfaces

Perhaps make a sanding block that has a concave shape, and line it with some foam under the sand paper?
Dec 03, 2021, 11:02 AM
with the new info you could cut some sanding blocks to match the curves,, would give a little better control..
Dec 03, 2021, 11:10 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
TGH, good thought-I guess cut sections (like an orange) of sandpaper and contact glue them in place?
Dec 03, 2021, 12:06 PM
KC8WPF
What is the diameter of the sphere? Cut a PVC pipe coupler in half to make two tunnels or chutes. Glue sandpaper to the inside.
Dec 03, 2021, 12:16 PM
Where's the pond?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
A lathe might help, but a Blanchard grinder is used to make flat surfaces
Right! I was misthinking the process of ball bearing grinding. Here's how it's really done, no application here:
https://science.howstuffworks.com/tr...uestion513.htm
Dec 03, 2021, 12:49 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob
What is the diameter of the sphere? Cut a PVC pipe coupler in half to make two tunnels or chutes. Glue sandpaper to the inside.
That could work on this...hmm
Dec 03, 2021, 03:49 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Might find something useful here: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nding+a+sphere
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Dec 03, 2021, 05:38 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Should have done it like this

Explosively hydroforming a steel sphere (0 min 19 sec)
Dec 03, 2021, 05:54 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
If it's alraedy close, Use the guide coat / wet sanding method to evenly block it out.
The real one isn't perfect either. Welded steel or fiberglass on the original?

DH
Dec 03, 2021, 10:17 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Yeah it's welded steel with big gaudy weld seams -hammered, sandblasted and paint... But in 1:24th that all kind of disappears and so it's got to be smooth.
Dec 04, 2021, 02:08 PM
Lost in the Sky
Make a "C" shaped sanding block from soft balsa and spray glue or double sided tape sandpaper to it. You can get a spherical curvature inside of it by putting a strip of sandpaper on your sphere and sanding the shape into the block.

Quick Reply