Armsoar Built-Up Balsa F5K Model Coming Soon

This is going to be pretty sweet! Armsoar has been busy working on a new entry level F5K model and it doesn't have a carbon wing.

Splash

Affordable F5K Fun

This is going to be pretty sweet! Armsoar has been busy working on a new entry level F5K model and it doesn't have a carbon wing. It's a balsa built-up model with a carbon boom that's designed as a 6-servo plane. It will be a V-tail setup and the wing will have flaps and ailerons.

They already have some prototype kits out to team pilots for testing and they hope to have production kits available this winter. The best part is the kit price should come in below $200. That puts it in a realm that nearly anyone can afford. I hope to see some of these out there flying in some mixed launch F3K events next season. Stay tuned for more info!

Dec 02, 2021, 11:13 AM
Overkill is underrated
I can’t wait to order one! I hope Thomas will have some in the Vancouver warehouse for US orders ASAP..
Dec 02, 2021, 01:38 PM
Finally! That's a large need that they can fill. Should be good for business
Dec 02, 2021, 05:11 PM
Thank you Jason, we're really excited about the model.
The first prototypes for some of our overseas pilots are just arriving now so we'll start posting some flying info in a few weeks time. There are still a bunch of small details in the kit to work out and finalize, but we're hoping it won't be too long until we get everything sorted and have it ready for sale. So far the feedback from our F3K / F5K team pilots in China who's been flying it for the past several weeks are very positive and seems to fly as we designed/expected.

We'll get more info out soon
Dec 03, 2021, 07:34 AM
Hi
Is it a kit to build or rtf model?
Eric
Dec 03, 2021, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38
Hi
Is it a kit to build or rtf model?
Eric
Kit for now, we will have a receiver ready version later if there is enough demand.
Dec 03, 2021, 11:00 AM

ARF version

An ARF version would be welcome.

Perhaps even a two channel version that would be simple and extra light. Our club had a lot of fun with simple Litnin Bug models, holding a special Bugapalooza event last year that was well attended.
Dec 04, 2021, 08:00 AM
I wonder if the potential ARF would be easier to manufacture if it were to use older technology to produce a wing with a solid foam core(assuming this would be less work than a hollow molded wing). I used to manufacture an HLG back in the 90's and we used solid foam cores with super light layups to end up with a very slick and accurate cross section at very respectable weights. After having just converted one of my old models to electric, it weighs in at 10oz/285g RTF, and it covers the sky almost as well as a modern DLG, even without camber control as I locked the ailerons in place and cut the wings for a R/E setup. Granted, we had PJ's resin to work with back then, which allowed for minimum weights with maximum crispness, but there should be some comparable resins on the market today. I could easily knock out a couple of wings a day in a one person shop.
Dec 04, 2021, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Colorado
An ARF version would be welcome.

Perhaps even a two channel version that would be simple and extra light. Our club had a lot of fun with simple Litnin Bug models, holding a special Bugapalooza event last year that was well attended.
One of our partners is working on a 1.5m RES ARF model that we are helping export. We're expecting the first batch in March, price point will be $250. The plane will be completely built and covered, you'll need to add your own servos, receiver and battery.

--edited for clarify - this RES ARF is a separate model completely, not the 6-servo F5K kit in topic.
Last edited by ThomasLee; Dec 05, 2021 at 01:08 PM.
Dec 04, 2021, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac
I wonder if the potential ARF would be easier to manufacture if it were to use older technology to produce a wing with a solid foam core(assuming this would be less work than a hollow molded wing). I used to manufacture an HLG back in the 90's and we used solid foam cores with super light layups to end up with a very slick and accurate cross section at very respectable weights. After having just converted one of my old models to electric, it weighs in at 10oz/285g RTF, and it covers the sky almost as well as a modern DLG, even without camber control as I locked the ailerons in place and cut the wings for a R/E setup. Granted, we had PJ's resin to work with back then, which allowed for minimum weights with maximum crispness, but there should be some comparable resins on the market today. I could easily knock out a couple of wings a day in a one person shop.
Our current lineup of models all use solid foam cores made from CNC'd Cascell (similar to Rohacell IGF but slightly better density consistency). Performance is great, but not a good method of keeping costs down.

The ARF version of this model will also be built-up balsa and fully covered.
Dec 04, 2021, 03:42 PM
Whatís the estimated price of the kit?
Dec 04, 2021, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
What’s the estimated price of the kit?
Our F5K kits will be $200.
Dec 04, 2021, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Our current lineup of models all use solid foam cores made from CNC'd Cascell (similar to Rohacell IGF but slightly better density consistency). Performance is great, but not a good method of keeping costs down.

The ARF version of this model will also be built-up balsa and fully covered.
Oh I see. We were using industrial insulation and hand cutting the cores. Cost for core production was negligible. Layup was light glass and carbon veil for the skins, as well as a few strips of Aramid veil along the leading edges and across the center wing joint/hard points. So my costs for raw materials as a contract builder were a small fraction of my income.

Can't wait to see the new product.

Cheers!
Dec 05, 2021, 06:11 AM
BGO
BGO
Great that Armsoar is expanding the F5K product portfolio with an accessible wooden version. I am convinced it will be a success. Hopefully this will bring in even more people. It is also possible to score a podium with a well-designed wooden F5K version. In any case, it guarantees a wonderful day flying together��
Dec 05, 2021, 07:13 AM
The kit is only $50 cheaper than the ARF? Seems strange. Iím still interested, just saying

Quick Reply