Dec 01, 2021, 02:59 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

New NX6

I received the NX6 today.

First impressions, same physical size as DX6, but about 4 oz lighter which is good.

Just one major bummer, the position and lower height of the trim switches is terrible compared to the DX6.

On my DX6 the pitch trim switch is located slightly below the centerline of the gimbal so I can easily reach it without changing my grip with my right hand. Plus with the DX6 trim switches being higher, I can adjust the roll trim with the base of my thumb while keeping my thumb tip on the pitch trim switch.

Flying slope you are constantly tweaking trims especially pitch due to the varying wind and airspeed changes.

If I would have played with the NX6 transmitter at the hobby shop before purchasing I may not have bought it. But I really wanted a backup to my DX6 so Iíll get used to it I guess.

Not sure what the current SW is, mine is 3.01. I suspect its an older transmitter because the QA sticker on the back is dated 9/20í.

Havenít played with the power on yet, I need to charge it, which that seems to be working so far.

Bottom line, if it had the same trim switches as the DX6, Iíd be stoked. They really dropped the ball on the trim switches, they feel cheap like lower end transmitters. The gimbals fell fine though.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2021, 03:13 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
When I first flew my NX10 I noticed that too. I was coming from the DX9. After a couple of flights I never noticed again, slight change to our muscle memory.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Dec 01, 2021, 03:26 PM
The current version is 3.06. After you update (just jump straight to 3.06), you'll want to go into the USB mode and replace the current BNF folder with the one from here: www.HorizonHobby.cc/NXreload

Since you're coming from 3.01, you might want to do the web-based update (like your DX radio) using the radio in USB mode for the download, then reboot.

Andy
Dec 01, 2021, 03:30 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Thanks Andy, I give it a try later.

I never registered or updated my DX6 so this will be my first time. I did find a YouTube tutorial on the process. I will report back later.
Dec 01, 2021, 04:11 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
When I first flew my NX10 I noticed that too. I was coming from the DX9. After a couple of flights I never noticed again, slight change to our muscle memory.
Thanks, sorry for my rant about the trim switches, but I am concerned about them. I do a lot of winter flying in high winds and with the wind chill, I have to wear gloves.

I wear a thinner leather glove on my right hand and a thick insulated glove on my left. I noticed that the face of the NX6 is slightly flatter around the gimbals than the DX6 which is a good thing, but I really wish the trims were slightly taller so I can quickly and easily find them, with a gloved hand.

Most of my flying is low and fast so I canít be hunting for the trim. Weíll see.
Dec 01, 2021, 05:06 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
This video should be quite helpful.

NX Instructional Series - How to Register and Update your NX via a USB Cable (9 min 55 sec)
Dec 01, 2021, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
Same radios and same experience here too. I'm really liking the NX10, so far I've got nothing but good things to say and high praise for it.
Dec 01, 2021, 10:20 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving J.
Same radios and same experience here too. I'm really liking the NX10, so far I've got nothing but good things to say and high praise for it.
Good to hear that Iím not alone in my assessment.

Iím gonna try to register and do the update. Fingers crossed.
Dec 01, 2021, 11:39 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
I’m currently doing the update. There was a note on 3.06 saying that you must load version 3.05 first! Before 3.06.

So I just did 3.05.

I will do 3.06 now.

My question is. Will 3.05 & 3.06 capture the previous versions or should I have done those first?
Dec 02, 2021, 12:11 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
The video tutorial I posted was extremely helpful.

My transmitter is now at 3.06.

I still would like to know if the versions prior to 3.05 were captured. The list seemed to address some important improvements, mainly the battery charging issue.
Dec 02, 2021, 12:24 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
I couldn’t figure out the Horizon Hobby BNF update thing, but it really doesn’t matter since I don’t fly BNF models.
Dec 02, 2021, 02:42 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
I have to admit, after watching several of the Horizon Hobby NX6 tutorial videos, I’m impressed with the newer functions.

Being able to change the display colors may be a big improvement from my DX6. I always struggled to quickly look down at the display and read it while flying. I’m anxious to fly with it. If I can make piece with the smaller trim switches then I should be good to go.
Dec 02, 2021, 05:30 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Hi Slopemaster,
Yes, if you go to the most recent update on DX or NX radios, all previous fixes or improvements are included.
On the trim issue, suggest having a play with Flight Modes as an alternative to routinely fiddling the trims airborne.
Most sailplanes just need three basic settings (plus perhaps a Landing mode for flaps or crow), say Float, Cruise and Speed.
You can set these on Flight Modes and just cue the required performance/trim with a single switch.
Another alternative is to mix the throttle stick on a pure soarer to elevator with a small percentage and use that as continuous speed trim - push for GO, pull for Slow.
Cheers,
PeteM
Dec 02, 2021, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Iím impressed with the newer functions.

Being able to change the display colors may be a big improvement from my DX6.
impressed..... big improvement.....

Horizon Hobby must be proud of its customers if they settle for too little.
Dec 02, 2021, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
I still would like to know if the versions prior to 3.05 were captured. The list seemed to address some important improvements, mainly the battery charging issue.
EVERYTHING is in 3.06. By going from 3.01 directly to 3.06 you captured everything in between as well. It's not like a PC.

Andy

Quick Reply