WOW! Scratch-Built RC VTOL F-35B Lightning II

This is a super cool project from Youtuber Eric Maglio. He's been working on a VTOL F-35 for some time and has moved on from his original test bed to this new semi-scale version as an interim step before a final scaled out model.

Splash

Wow Wow Wow

This is a super cool project from Youtuber Eric Maglio. He's been working on a VTOL F-35 for some time and has moved on from his original test bed to this new semi-scale version as an interim step before a final scaled out model. It's one of the coolest planes I've seen in a long time. It really goes to show you what can be accomplished in a scratch build if you are determined. The rotating nozzle mechanism is a work of art and he says in the video that he'll be making plans for this model available so you'll be able to build your own soon if you like.

Check out the video for more info and flight footage and then let us know what you think about this plane in a reply below. Would you want one in your hangar?

Last edited by Jason Cole; Nov 30, 2021 at 10:39 AM..
Nov 30, 2021, 10:30 AM
Please be sure to give photo credit to The RC Geek as that cover image came from his video. You can see his full video at the link below.
Scratch-Built RC VTOL F-35B Lightning II Flight at Palomar RC Flyers (3 min 44 sec)
Nov 30, 2021, 10:35 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks for that! Cool shot of the mechanism working in that video too. Great work by RC Geek
Nov 30, 2021, 12:07 PM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
This is a super cool project from Youtuber Eric Maglio
Hey, that's me!

Still more work to be done but feels nice to have gotten to this point. Thanks for highlighting my project, Jason!
Nov 30, 2021, 12:24 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Hey Eric! Didn't know you were on here. Great work man!! Love seeing your progress and updates. Let us know when the next video drops.
Nov 30, 2021, 01:04 PM
Did I hear the announcer correctly saying this is ran on 4S? It seems like running it on 6S would be lower the amp draw for the same amount of power making the motors more efficient. The reason I can think of that you are running on 4S is because the smaller motors can't take a higher voltage. Really Great project!
Nov 30, 2021, 02:00 PM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1
Did I hear the announcer correctly saying this is ran on 4S? It seems like running it on 6S would be lower the amp draw for the same amount of power making the motors more efficient. The reason I can think of that you are running on 4S is because the smaller motors can't take a higher voltage. Really Great project!
I think it was a miscommunication at the event - main fans run on two 4S 5300mAh packs in series for 8S. The smaller motors do have their own 4S pack just because I couldn't find any 8S capable setups that small.
Nov 30, 2021, 05:28 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
The designer has some serious talent.
Nov 30, 2021, 11:07 PM
What is the amp draw on 8S? Once you feel like you are done, is there any version of a short kit you would consider?
Dec 01, 2021, 01:44 AM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1
What is the amp draw on 8S? Once you feel like you are done, is there any version of a short kit you would consider?
About 120A is required to hover. I've been using SMC packs, which handle the sustained load really well.

I'm not sure I have the time to do short kits, though I'd consider doing kits of the plastic parts for those without printers. Otherwise I'm doing my best to make the design as easy for others to build as possible. The "3BSM" thrust vectoring nozzle has been available as a download for a bit now along with some video assembly guides. That seems to be going well for the builders I've heard from so far.

One of the challenges for the rest of the airframe is the availability of the thick foam. Flite Test seems to be out of stock at the moment and it's unclear when it'll be returning. But if it does, and I could convince them to do some laser-cut runs...
Dec 01, 2021, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
About 120A is required to hover. I've been using SMC packs, which handle the sustained load really well.

I'm not sure I have the time to do short kits, though I'd consider doing kits of the plastic parts for those without printers. Otherwise I'm doing my best to make the design as easy for others to build as possible. The "3BSM" thrust vectoring nozzle has been available as a download for a bit now along with some video assembly guides. That seems to be going well for the builders I've heard from so far.

One of the challenges for the rest of the airframe is the availability of the thick foam. Flite Test seems to be out of stock at the moment and it's unclear when it'll be returning. But if it does, and I could convince them to do some laser-cut runs...

Congrats, that is an extremely impressive piece of engineering. Really great job. Was it the engineering challenge that drew you into attempting this?
Dec 01, 2021, 11:40 AM
MK
MK
Wow! Amazing work!!!!!!

The answer to flying fields with long grass! LOL!
Dec 01, 2021, 05:44 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
Wow! Amazing work!!!!!!

The answer to flying fields with long grass! LOL!
Yes. Agree 100%
Dec 02, 2021, 08:18 AM
Friend of Foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
Hey, that's me!

Still more work to be done but feels nice to have gotten to this point. Thanks for highlighting my project, Jason!
What a cool airplane! I remember you flying some of your one of a kind creations at our electric fun fly events at Wintonbury in CT. Loved watching that drone/stealth drone that you created come to life!
Latest blog entry: Gallery
Dec 02, 2021, 04:12 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
This is awesome.

Quick Reply