This thread is privately moderated by BAF23, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 29, 2021, 10:22 AM
The sky is the limit
Thread OP
Build Log

T Rex700L DFC with Funkey Hugues500E body

Pic heli 700 0120crc

Rationale

Shortly after obtaining my basic R/C helicopter license end of summer 2021 and building up confidence flying scale maneuvers with my T-Rex500 based Hugues500, I started thinking about larger scale-helicopters. The models on my dream list were either too expensive or just unavailable. Vario helicopters seemed the best but way above my paycheck because a new camper had soon to be paid for. Roban helicopters seemed nice but many people were complaining about the lack of support/spares from the German dealer. Next option was to browse through fora for second-hand reasonably priced relatively large helicopters. I wanted overall length to be under 2meter so it would fit in the camper’s garage. Two 6S5000 batteries in series would be nice to standardise with other planes in my EDF fleet. I preferred a voluminous body for better visibility but mechanical spares availability was paramount.

The acquisition

A few weeks later I made a deal with a Walloon modeller who sold a Funkey bodied Hugues500E around T-Rex700L DFC Dominator mechanics. A first look at the model confirmed it was in excellent accident-free original condition and equipped with quality electronics. To me it looked big and attractive and was sold because the owner only flew it sporadically for years and lately preferred his larger more recent Vario helicopters. He demonstrated the model in rather windy conditions while I took a video of that. Halfway the demo I already was convinced that model would fit my needs well and after getting more info and an extra box of spares, I returned home with it.
Fun-Key Hugues 500E on T-Rex700L dominator mechanics (3 min 54 sec)

Improving the model

The following days I made a new transport cradle, dismantled the model and labeled the wiring before removing the previous owners’ Jeti receiver and sent it back. I choose to mount my X8R FRSky receiver next to the Beast X to shorten the wires and even more so all of the electronic devices could now be accessed without having to remove the frame from the body. Working in parallel to the old 500 Hugues 500 and the new 700 pretty well illustrated the serious differnce in size between both models.

Pic 0124cr

A Dutch experienced heli guy helped me program the Beast X on my FrSky receiver and also updated the software with a bailout feature activated by a spring-loaded switch on my transmitter. It took a few hours using his laptop and precision gages to produce a perfectly flying model for my capabilities and desires. Only short hops were made to test everything in flight because at that time I only had the 6S3000 batteries of my 500 helis to fly it. My heli-instructor had four 6S4500 Turnigy 30-40c batteries he wanted to dispose off because he flies 3D and needs batteries in perfect shape. As I only fly scale his’ were still good for me and I was glad to get them free and soldered blitz-free XT90 plugs onto them. As legal disposal of such batteries is cumbersome, we found a win-win situation extending the life of the batteries for some time. The weather getting colder prevented further flying so wait till summer 2022 for further illustrated reports.

Technical recap

Dimensions:fuselage length: 132cm, rotor diameter: 158cm, height: 58cm, Weights: Fuselage: gr Total empty: gr. Takeoff weight: gr
Rotor: DFC, blades AlignAF1501272 (sym), Tail: Spinblades asym 105mm
Batteries: 2x 6S4500 in series,
My final throws: Ail: + mm - mm, Ele: + mm- mm , Rud: mm L&R
Motor: Align Dominator RCM-BL850MX 490kv
ESC: Castle Phoenix edge HV 160 armed by Stbd bat.
BEC: Yuki UBEC 12A (max18) 7-60V fed by Port battery
Servos: Savox: Ailerons+Elevator: SC1258TG Rudder: Align BL855H
Expos: aileron: 30%. Elevator : 30%. Rudder: 30%
throttle curves 30/70/100% Rudder gain 46%

Settings on ESC:
1652/1705/1800 slow spoolup time 5, medium headspeed change, 1.461:1 ?? ratio Gearing: 13T-110T?? 10 poles, 490kv, 44,4V
Cutoff auto/soft/3,2V. Motor: medium 59, autorot enabled, timing 5, Dir fwd, pwm rate 8khz, power on beep enabled, all others disabled
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply