This thread is privately moderated by rickp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 28, 2021, 05:24 PM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP
Discussion

CrashTestHobby Albatross

Was gifted a partially built CHT Albatross by a generous friend of mine, so thought I'd document the build and maiden.
The fuselage was mostly complete, with the exception of final placement of electronics, servos and pushrods.
The aileron wing was assembled, but lacking servos and pushrods. The polyhedral wing was unassembled.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2021, 05:37 PM
Thread OP

Maiden Fail :-(

Hand launched it with just a bit of throttle, which resulted in a nose plant but no damage.
Next tried a simple glide test, with the same result.

Thought that the CG was close enough, but I was obviously wrong - too far forward, so back to the drawing board.
First thought was to enlarge the battery trench so I could move the battery aft, but that seemed "ugly".
The alternative was adding weight in the rear. More elegant, perhaps, but it would add weight.

As shown in the picture below, I added several "CG adjustment tools" to the stab.
They were eventually held on with velcro so I could add and remove them as necessary.
Nov 28, 2021, 05:49 PM
Thread OP

Maiden2 Success! :-)

Waited and waited for the perfect day to re-maiden the Albatross, and today was it.
Wanted to launch standing at the top of a slope with a head wind to give myself a bit of margin.
Nice slope five minute walk from our house, but the prevailing winds are usually down slope.
But not today! Woke up to a nice up slope wind, so had to give it a try.

First launch was a gentle glide to landing. Dang - not enough airspeed.
Second launch was with just a bit of throttle and a good, strong overhand throw.
Added throttle and up elevator and it was flying!

Elevator trim was good, but needed a bit of aileron trim.
Holy cow - what's going on with the rudder??
Oh - rookie mistake - it's reversed.
Yes, I did do a control check before launching and the ailerons and elevator were correct.
Guess I didn't pay enough attention to the rudder, but all's well that end's well.

Got three nice five minute flights from my 2700mah battery before calling it quits.
Could have flown longer, but it was time to report for leaf raking duty!

ps: in the end, only two "CG adjustment tools" per side were needed
Last edited by rickp; Nov 28, 2021 at 06:01 PM.
Nov 28, 2021, 05:53 PM
Thread OP

What a Big Plane you are!

The Albatross is quite a bit bigger than anything else in my hangar.
I usually fly UMX sized models, though I do have a FliteTest mini-Mustang as well.

As shown in the picture below, the Albatross is huge by comparison.
But it's an interesting change from my normal fliers, so I'll be buying a few extra large batteries.

Cheers! rick
Last edited by rickp; Dec 12, 2021 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply