Nov 28, 2021, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sig Kadet Senior

I'm going to refurbish a Kadet Senior my father built about 35 years ago (probably whenever the kit first came out). I'd like to cut the one piece wing in half, reduce dihedral and add a tube joiner to make it two piece. any recommendations for tube size and length? Where would i source one that won't cost a fortune?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2021, 04:56 PM
Thread OP

Sig Kadet Senior

I'm going to refurbish a Kadet Senior my father built about 35 years ago (probably whenever the kit first came out). I'd like to cut the one piece wing in half, reduce dihedral and add a tube joiner to make it two piece. any recommendations for tube size and length? Where would i source one that won't cost a fortune?
Nov 28, 2021, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB HHDS
3/4" tube, 20" long should work.
Nov 28, 2021, 07:24 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
I would ask that question here...

Scale Kit Scratch Build

or here....

Balsa Builders

You could make a title similar to "Two Piece Wing for Sig Kadet". Many talented builders in either of those boards that can help you.
Nov 29, 2021, 03:45 PM
If that Senior is 3 channel, I wouldn't change the dihedral at all.
If you're determined to make it a 2 piece wing, then add ailerons & take out the dihedral,

Kit built mine in 1990 & sold it in July of last year.
Converted it to electric in 2013.
Nov 29, 2021, 10:14 PM
I posted to your other thread about this.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-Kadet-Senior

Also see you started another thread about this.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post48250349
Nov 30, 2021, 06:52 AM
You're only as old as you feel
Choose a line using a straight edge, then saw slowly and gently until the existing ribs snap completely out of place!
Digging in after a wing is already framed up and sheeted may be more destructive being 35 years old.
You'd save time and frustration building a new wing than hack up the one you have in my opinion. Wings frame up fast.
You can get plans off Ebay for $12 shipped, send the PDF to your local Staple's or to Horseheads Printing? If they don't support printing plans that size, go to this print shop I use;
https://www.aceblueprinters.com/sendafile.php They print very well, and at affordable rates shipped to your door if you don't have a local source.

I've seen two dowels used as a joiner rods, they fit in a tube or you can double up your ribs, or choose a stronger material from a rib template to secure the dowels as you make your wing halves. 78" wingspan, I would make the dowel length penetrate 16" each side, 32" long. I had a Telemaster ARF that came with a two piece wing that had a pair of joiners roughly that length.
Nov 30, 2021, 09:19 AM
Just a thought here.. if you're that ambitious to go that far, it would seem more productive to just build a new wing and add the features you want in the build.

Serves 2 purposes, first is it totally preserves your father's work by not tearing into the original wing, and second is you can add several features, like ailerons(whatever type you want), and make the wing a two-piece w/tube... even throw in flaps while you're at it.
Nov 30, 2021, 12:15 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
I would ask that question here...
Scale Kit Scratch Build
or here....
Balsa Builders ... ...
@Topic Starter
To have the moderators move your thread/discussion to the dedicated subforum, click the report button above your opening post and click:
move this thread
select subforum

Nov 30, 2021, 12:28 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Never mind, you already started another thread.

You could close your other, less active threads, to prevent people giving answers/suggestions you already have. Via Thread Tools → Close Thread in first horizontal ribbon.
Before closing them, you could post a link to you remaining open thread, to get all participants in that one thread.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
E-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
Nov 30, 2021, 12:29 PM
A man with too many toys
So you are going to move this to the Balsa Builders Forum ?????????????

Quick Reply