Nov 27, 2021, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Any Jeti users? Feedback sought!

I'm thinking about purchasing a Jeti DS16 gen 2 for my scale gliders moving forward, primarily because Jeti has what I judge by far is the industry's best telemetry system and assortment of high quality related and integrated hardware that feeds into it (especially the Central Box and the Mezon line of ESCs). I'm still doing my homework (one of the items on my to do list is to look at their sensors and see what's available).

Any Jeti users here for large or large-ish sailplanes? How do you like it? Any downsides I should know about? What kind of telemetry and sensors are YOU using? Anybody have the DS16 gen 2 yet? Is the builtin accelerometer thing even useful?

PS I am not looking for input on any other brands plus or minus, I am only interested in feedback on the Jeti systems from actual users - thank you.

Cheers,
Rick
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2021, 10:17 PM
Hello Rick,
I have a Jeti DS 24 radio. It is by far the best radio money can buy period. I wouldnít trust any other brand of transmitters with my high end gliders, jets, helicopter, or sailboat for that matter. I am not sure if the DS 16 gen 2 is 2.4 and 900mhz or just on 2.4 . In any case , telemetry, functionality, relatability and just capabilities are the best. One thing for sure, you buy one , and it will be the very last radio you will ever buy. Telemetry is beyond best, and no donít need to buy additional sensors to enjoy full telemetry, itís plug in and go, simple and functional. I highly recommend it. Hope this helps! Ask any other Jeti owner and they will tell you about the same as I just did.
Mike
Last edited by fireblade47; Nov 27, 2021 at 10:24 PM.
Nov 28, 2021, 12:22 AM
Rick,
I recently moved from JR to the Jeti DS-16G2. Love it. Primary reason for the switch was programming flexibility for large sailplanes. Don’t use any specialized sensors (yet) so cannot comment on the accelerometer.

Tom
Nov 28, 2021, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
Wow, these are glowing reviews!! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Tom, programming flexibility and ease of use for large sailplanes is an absolute must-have for me and the fact that you're happy with it on your large sailplanes is a huge plus. And Mike, yes the G2 has both 2.4 and 900MHz so you can set up a system with dual redundant 2.4 receivers and a third redundant 900MHz receiver too. Another plus on the DS16G2 is that it comes configured out of the box with virtually everything, and there are almost no add-on modules (unlike some of their other systems). In fact, it's got 24 channels in G2 and appears to have inherited all the good features from the DS-24 now. It really looks amazing.

I've been studying the Jeti website and am excited by the HUGE amount of hardware accessories available from a pages full of different receiver options to the full line of ESCs and various sensors to at least four families of power distribution systems, and it ALL works with telemetry (often in excruciating detail too which I love).

I even already have a Jeti MasterMezon 135 Opto ESC in my large Arcus which is giving me the hint that it really wants to tell me what it's doing via a Jeti radio system! In fact, now that I think about it, my SM Modellbau GPS unit and Emcotec power distribution system in the same aircraft - being European - naturally speak Jeti telemetry too. It's apparently been staring me in the face the whole time!! And I've got another powered glider project coming up, and believe it or not it was the choice of ESCs I was facing on that project (with another Mezon the primary choice) that really brought me around to realizing I need to make the switch!
Last edited by rjtw; Nov 28, 2021 at 12:58 AM.
Nov 28, 2021, 05:40 AM
I've been using a DS-16 for 4 years now in 1/3 scale gliders. Usually have just the MVario2 but on some gliders use the airspeed sensor. I use the CB200, REX12 rx for primary with a R3 as a satellite rx, and am just starting to use a R3 SW for a wireless switch. Hope to upgrade to the G2 soon. Customer support is awesome! Avionics grade equipment.
Nov 28, 2021, 06:53 AM
Fly Eat Sleep Repeat
I used a DS-12 for my F3F and slope gliders, so glad I made the switch to Jeti last year, programming is a breeze.
Nov 28, 2021, 07:51 AM
My installation
https://blog.espritmodel.com/let-mod...nching-system/

DG-600 17m (1/3 Scale)
Wingspan: 5.67m (223”)
Length: 2.28m (89.5”)
Weight: 15.45kg (34 lbs.)

Power w/Telemetry:
Sailplane Power Pod Launching System
AXi 4130/20 Brushless Motor
Jeti Spin Pro 99 Opto Brushless ESC
RFM 16x10 CF White Folding Propeller
Jeti Pro Power 4000mAh 8S Battery Packs (2x 4S)

RC & Telemetry System:
Jeti DS-24 2.4GHz/900MHz Transmitter
Jeti Central Box 220 Power Distribution Unit
Jeti R3/RSW 2.4GHz Receiver (Primary Rx)
Jeti R3 REX 900MHz Receiver (Backup Rx)
Jeti R3/RSW 2.4GHz Receiver (Wireless Switch)
Jeti SBEC 30 Voltage Regulator w/Telemetry
Jeti 2100mAh 6.6V LiFe Battery (Backup Power)
Jeti MUI 150 Voltage/Current/Capacity Sensor
Jeti MVario2 Variometer

Last edited by Esprit Model; Nov 28, 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Nov 28, 2021, 09:02 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Early adopter since 2014. Love the dual radio link, central boxes, mvario, rc switch, programming functions, etc, etc. it took help from online users here on RCG to get some programming functions working like I wanted but thatís probably just my lack of knowledge on such things. if there is any downside it might be the weight of the original machined tx cases. Sure does have a feel of quality though. Would buy again.
Nov 28, 2021, 09:39 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
I have been using a DS-14 that I purchased from a jet flier in Houston about 3 years ago. It was well taken care of, I only needed to add a couple of modules and I have been pleased. The radio has a very solid feel. The only additional telemetry I have been using, other than the receiver data from the REX's, is the MVario2 in my aero towed scale ships and in a Horejsi Geronimo. Like Asher I too needed some help getting the more complex functions working on my multi-servo winged models (came from Airtronics where it was easy, thanks Jack). But, the videos and the user group here on RCGroups were very helpful. In general the programming seems more intuitive to me than the Asian menu structure. If my health gets better I may look into getting a DS-16 G2. I haven't been able to fly since the Sledworks Aero Tow in July.
Nov 28, 2021, 01:35 PM
Let me fly in Green Air
Having a Jeti DS system means to start thinking outside the normal box. The built in accelerometer has been used to activate system sound without using a switch or taking your fingers off the control sticks. It can also be used to activate other features of the DS system not unlike like a switch. The latest has been to use the telemetry control to operate instrument servos in real time giving the cockpit that added feature.
Just start thinking outside the normal!
Nov 28, 2021, 05:36 PM
I bought my first DS-16 about four years ago, primarily for large scale sailplanes. I added a DS-16 Gen II when they became available to take advantage of its increased capabilities. My plan was to sell the original DS-16, however I found it migrating into simpler winch launched and electric F3J/ALES type gliders. So, I guess I'll keep them both!
I have four large scale sailplanes completed, three aerotow and one electric. With the exception of one aerotow model, all are equipped with the same Jeti hardware, a Central Box 200 with two R3 Receivers running in dual path. The aerotow models all have MVARIO sensors. The electric model has a MUI150 voltage/current/capacity sensor in the drive battery circuit and an Esprit Tech vario.
In my opinion Jeti is the finest radio equipment you can invest in for your models. The quality is evident both in the hardware and software. Over the years I have used the Jeti Studio site to update the software in every item I own. I have never had a glitch or lost data. Their updates simply work, time after time.
For such a complex system the TX programming is not difficult. If you use the manual you'll use it a lot on your first model! The second will be much easier and you'll find it very quickly becomes intuitive for repetitive tasks. I only refer to the manual now when I want to do something new to me.
I would highly recommend a series of You Tube instructional videos by a modeler in Great Britain named Harry Curzon. Harry's site features dozens of short (about 15 min each) how-to videos explaining Jeti TX programming, receivers, Central Boxes and sensors. Just search on "Harry Curzon" on You Tube.
Hope this has been of some help to you.
lc
Nov 29, 2021, 01:44 AM
Thread OP
Awesome information. Thank you all for the amazingly positive feedback!! I plan to pick up the DS16g2 in time for my next project.
Nov 29, 2021, 03:05 AM
Tadders

Jeti for sailplanes

+1 for Jeti in sailplanes.

DC24; Central Box 200; REX Assist 7; RSAT; RSAT 900 and Mezon ESCís used in all my FES gliders (Baudis Antares, Paritech SZD-59, Paritech ASW 20)

I use telemetry sensors for the motor temperature, airspeed, vario, GPS, FES battery capacity and ESC temperature and current.

I have used the accelerometer with my old DS16 in a DLG where I used the spin during launch to set a temporary launch flight mode.

Jeti is by far the best and most reliable system I have used (Spektrum, Futaba)
Nov 29, 2021, 10:53 AM
When you do get your DS 16, make sure to check out my friend Harry Curzon's channel for all the videos you need on programming it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cotswoldpilot/videos
Nov 29, 2021, 11:48 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Rick,

Not a current user, but planning to move a new system next year after decades of Airtronics/Sanwa use. Jeti is top of my list.

Quick Reply