This thread is privately moderated by BDOG1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 26, 2021, 08:56 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Discussion

11/23/21-11/26/21 On The Hill

Thanksgiving week here in the north east and for the second week in a row I was able to "double dip " and get in 2 flying sessions in one week

Tuesday started with a couple of inches of fresh snow and a forecast of 15 mph winds and 36 degrees - Perfect to get a old flying buddy who had moved down south and was back in town for the holidays out for some fresh air....and get some stick time on a good combat wing {His current slope plane is a Goldberg Electra }.
I downloaded the Knife Edge model from my radio to his and out we went,I knew it would be a good day,my buddy the red tail hawk circled us as we walked up the hill .
The wind at the top was less than predicted and vectoring ,not the greatest conditions especially for a newbie ...
I launched and trimmed the wing , flew around scouting the lift and showing him how to search and cruise.
These Knife Edge wings are very efficient , if allowed to run they will slice thru sink and climb in even the lightest choppy lift that we often have on our hill as the wind vectors around.
I handed him the transmitter and coached him for a bit,after a couple of minutes he was doing well by himself so I asked if he was good with me putting my plane in the air,he said yes so I jogged back to our gear and grabbed my plane hoping he would still be in the air when I launched .
No problem - he was doing fine and enjoyed the game of hide and seek as the lift ebbed and flowed around and out in front of the hill .
After about 20 minutes his hands were getting cold {thin southern blood ?} so a landing was in order ,once down we got out of the wind to warm up and gab a bit ,he didn't realize how much fun you could have not having one of those "spiny things "on the front
It was a great outing and time to catch back up on things.

Fast forward to today {friday } a forecast for1 to 4 inches of snow and 17mph winds....
I was not sure I was up for this one ,That second helping of turkey,stuffing, gravy,pie and fresh whipped cream might have something to do with it
Oh well -in for a penny,in for a pound .
I hate to pass up some flying when it has been such a slope less summer.
Didn't want to carry too much up the hill so I pulled out a Bantam X-4 jet that Don King had whipped up using a Knife Edge wing platform.
It was kind of dark and crappy with wet snow when I launched in lighter than predicted winds,no problem for the X-4 after a couple of clicks of up she was spooling along nicely.
A big surprise ,after my second pass on the hill my flying buddy the 6 foot red tail lifted off from down the hill {also possible he was sitting in a tree at the bottom }
He quickly got above me and then our dance began : doing gentle S turns back and forth across the face of the slope , at times riding the lift way above the hill,sometimes circling back behind me and the hill out of my site only to come sliding back in at a lower altitude after a minute or so ,this went on for 10 minutes or so this time , I was very Blessed

I respect his right to the sky and do not fly at him or make aggressive moves toward him,meanwhile on the ground I stand as still as possible,I don't know if he connects me with the "other bird in the air " or not.
All in all I got in 2 flights totaling over a hour and worked off some of yesterdays dinner in the fresh air
Lot's to be Thankful for !
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply