Nov 25, 2021, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

how to travel with a drone on a plane?

hi all, I plan to do a trip outside the US with my DJI mini 2 and I was wondering if anyone can recommend me the best way to travel with a drone, specially passing security.
Is the best to take the drone in bag or with my in the cabin?
I guess batteries needs to go without charge to be safe?

Also, probably in some locations I won't have an internet connection, is possible to download the maps to fly or something similar?

Thanks for the any recommendation you can provide me.

Happy Thanksgiving.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2021, 05:09 PM
Tweaker
Yes, carry drone as carry on baggage, never checked! On something as small as a mini 2, just normal storage charge is best. I brought a Mavic Pro to Europe, zero issues. The closest inspection was in Germany, breeze thru UK, Ireland, Italy.
Nov 25, 2021, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
thank you very much
Nov 25, 2021, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE
Yes, carry drone as carry on baggage, never checked! On something as small as a mini 2, just normal storage charge is best. I brought a Mavic Pro to Europe, zero issues. The closest inspection was in Germany, breeze thru UK, Ireland, Italy.
do you if it's possible to fly without an internet connection and just download the maps? I will be probably out of range for an LTE or 3G network
Thanks
Nov 25, 2021, 05:26 PM
Any lithium batteries need to be in your carry-on bag, but the drone can be in your checked baggage if you want.

It's always worth checking the regulations for the country you are going to. I failed to do that on a recent trip to the UAE, and my drone was confiscated on entry. If I had been flying back within fifteen days, I could have just picked it up on the way out, but I ended up staying for three and a half months. Since there was a DH100 per day "storage" charge after fifteen days, it wasn't worth getting it back. At least I earned more than a few drones worth during my trip, and my speeding tickets outweighed the cost of the drone too. Lesson learned.
Nov 30, 2021, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
Any lithium batteries need to be in your carry-on bag, but the drone can be in your checked baggage if you want.

It's always worth checking the regulations for the country you are going to. I failed to do that on a recent trip to the UAE, and my drone was confiscated on entry. If I had been flying back within fifteen days, I could have just picked it up on the way out, but I ended up staying for three and a half months. Since there was a DH100 per day "storage" charge after fifteen days, it wasn't worth getting it back. At least I earned more than a few drones worth during my trip, and my speeding tickets outweighed the cost of the drone too. Lesson learned.
thank you very much for your answer.

Luis

Quick Reply