GreatPlanes RV4 Build Question - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Aug 06, 2005, 11:33 PM
Registered User

GreatPlanes RV4 Build Question

Hi Folks, I have a question on this model. I followed the plan lay out. I'm at the point of attaching the firewall to the fuselage. As you will see in the attached photos, the side of my firewall have gaps on each side appx. 1/8" maybe a hair more between the fuselage sides. It looks like there should not be any gaps. I was thinking about cutting the left and right glue joints away from the top then rounding the top deck so the firewall fits properly. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem with this model or did I totally miss something.


Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2005, 08:09 AM
Naturally altered
That's odd. Shaving the sides of the top deck does seem as the proper thing to do as first glance, but before you do that, check the cowling width. If it fits better with this larger width fuselage front, i suggest fitting the firewall as is, and use a few balsa triangles or square sticks at the back to make sure it is fixed strong enough.
Aug 07, 2005, 08:22 AM
Registered User
jimsp's Avatar
Are you sure that the top curved cowling pieces arenít supposed to be sitting on top of the fuselage sides? That would be typical of this type construction.
Aug 07, 2005, 02:16 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the info Cubber and Jimsp. I'll check the cowling out later today and let you know how that looks.
Aug 08, 2005, 10:04 AM
Registered User
DPHOYE's Avatar
I just finished up my RV4 about a month ago I had this problem too, but I dont remember my solution. Let me go back and look and see if can recall.

BTW...what power system were you planning on using. I used and AXI 2212/24 with a 9:7.5 prop and it runs really great with a 2 cell 2000 mah battery. The plane is just a joy to fly.
Aug 10, 2005, 11:23 PM
Registered User
I placed the cowling over the nose, and the fuselage is definetly to wide. DPHOYE, I would really like to know your fix. I hope that the rest of the top pieces will fit. I havn't put a whole lot of thought in the gear/ prop set up. I have a spare Park EFLITE 400 motor that I was going to use.
Aug 11, 2005, 10:26 AM
Registered User
DPHOYE's Avatar
If I recall correctly...I think I test fit the F1 former before I glued the side on and I realized that it was a bit too narrow when compared to the top deck so I carefully sanded the top deck on each side to make it fit properly before I glued any of the pieces together. You are not going to be removing much material from the top deck to make a correct and fit and the plastic cowling and fairings that get glued together are not that precise of a fit so I dont think that really comes into play here. To be quite honest the plastic cowling pieces gave me a really hard time and I am still not all that pleased with the result. Hope this helps.

There is a picture of my RV4 at this link:
Aug 11, 2005, 06:15 PM
Registered User
Nice looking plane there DPHOYE. Is that the stock landing gear?
Aug 12, 2005, 09:41 AM
Registered User
DPHOYE's Avatar
Yes...that is the stock gear that came with the kit. All I did was paint the gear with white Krylon paint and I dont like to use rubber bands to hold he wing or gear to the plane. Just doesnt seem strong enough to me to so I attached the gear using nylon landing gear staprs with plywood backing blocks. There are 4 straps ( 2 on bottom and 1 on each side ) to keep the gear from rotating backing on touch down. The wing is help on with 2 nylon screws along the trailing edge and 2 dowels that fit into former F3. F3 had to be reinforced to accept this load along the bottom.

I made a few other minor changes to the kit.
-The top of the fuselage forward of the canopy was sheeted to improve the look and make it easier to cover.
- The leading edge of the wing was also sheeted to remove the scalloped look when covered.
- The rudder and elevator servo were mounted in the in the canopy area as opposed to upside down in the fuse. The required rerouting the pushrods through the trurtledeck.
- I decided to go with a brushless setup and Lipo rather than the recommended motor after reading several posts that claimed the recommended motor just didnt have enough power. Also with some of my additions I was increasing the AUW of the plane. My final weight with radio, battery, and servos was 20.5 oz.
- The plastic wheel pants are very flimsy and I new that would not survive past the first landing.

Additionally, the plastic cowling is a pretty rough fit IMO. I used some screws to attach but getting the alignment correct around the motor and the spacing correct for the spinner back plate was a real pain.

My battery had to be located quite a bit further back than what the plan shows. I have my battery between F3 and F4. I wish there was a way to swap batteries w/o removing the wing , but with in being under the canopy I didnt feel comfortable making that much of a modifcation to the plane. The plane is very easy to fly and floats in for landings.

Feel free to ask any questions...I will share all I know.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Planes RV4 wing build question MAKODS Parkflyers 11 Apr 19, 2005 10:48 AM
T-IFO Build question Mighty Dingus Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 5 Jul 07, 2002 10:28 PM
Zagi 400X Build Question HavingFun2002 Foamies (Kits) 4 Apr 25, 2002 08:58 AM
Mini Tornado build question Crashmaster Foamies (Kits) 1 Mar 26, 2002 08:38 PM
Scratch build question Steph280 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 7 Nov 02, 2001 05:30 PM