Nov 23, 2021, 07:15 AM
Myfx
Thread OP
Build Log

My Fx design&build log

Hello hello,

Long time ago since i posted something here , even longer time ago since i started a build thread .
Some people may remember me , i've manufactured the Helios 1&2 , xxlite , revolution and the latest was the FX .
Due to medical reasons i stopped building models completely , i was totally fed up and had to take a distance from it for some time .
Meanwhile i kept doing contests , the ones not cancelled by ...you know what...

I'm planning on building some models for next season , they will be purely for own use , i don't intend to sell any.

I wil use FX parts for this build , it will be a modified FX .
reason to choose the FX
-i have many parts
-it flies awesomely , reminds me of the xxlite (what a lovely plane to fly) but way more hangt time in light air

Don't expect it to go fast i will need/take my time for it but i do want to show the design already witouth going into details , they still need to be worked out .

-6 servo model with all servos in the fuselage
-T-tail, normal pull/spring setup
- super skinny fuselage , all servos will go between the wings , the nose will only hold gumstick style lipo (planning on using a 1400-2000mah 1s lipo)
-2 piece wing with clever attach system (no bolts )
Last edited by krikkens; Nov 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2021, 01:44 PM
Kristof, it's so good to see you back with us buddy. Looking forward to seeing your project unfold, your models are always fun and exciting!
Nov 23, 2021, 02:36 PM
hot air rises...
Yes! Glad to see you back building Kristof.
Nov 23, 2021, 03:48 PM
Myfx
Thread OP
thanks guys , hope i find the energy to get it build , still need to work out some details (gear placement but the rough design on that is finished .

this model will have small ailerons as you can see on the polyhedral sections , a pushrod will transfer the movement from the servo in the fuselage to the wingtip .

idea is i can keep the mid section cambered while thermaling and only steer with the tips where the ailerons are most effective .

servos don't fit far outboard and i prefer not to have to much extra weight near the tip nor a servopocket there , it influences the stiffness of the wing .

i will build the pushrod setup into the panels before joining the tip so it's completely integrated .
Nov 23, 2021, 06:22 PM
I like the T tail and did experiment with it on 3 different Ghost prototypes. Looks very cool, no doubt about it. However it has an odd behavior on launch with a lower angle and a pitch up about 2/3 of the way up. Acts as if its nose heavy. Other than that they fly fine.

Dave

Photo from my blog
Nov 23, 2021, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave
I like the T tail and did experiment with it on 3 different Ghost prototypes. Looks very cool, no doubt about it. However it has an odd behavior on launch with a lower angle and a pitch up about 2/3 of the way up. Acts as if its nose heavy. Other than that they fly fine.

Dave

Photo from my blog
Sounds like spring blowback?
Nov 23, 2021, 06:57 PM
Logical call Thomas but I use strong springs on all my gliders. I had a club member flying one for many years and he feels that the T tail is blocking the flow up and off the fin as in a standard tail. Then releases as it slows causing the pitch up.
Its odd but if you get used to it, its fine. Over 3 different models changing stab and fin area it varies in pitch up. I was more concern with the correct fin area and boom length more than the pitch up.

Started with small tails on a long boom and shortened it and increased area as I went. Handling was best with the stab on top of the fin in normal length fin boom configuration.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Dave
Nov 24, 2021, 06:34 AM
Myfx
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave

Dave

Photo from my blog

Hi Dave ,

apparently i experienced the same , yesterday we where discussing it with some belgian pilots and i made a T-tail FX about 2 years ago as a test , it held up just fine , i remember i feared breaking the boom but it didn't happen.

another belgian pilot told me i had some wierd behaviour aswell on launch (seems like i didn't remembered it myself )

I sold an xxlite to an austrian guy many years ago and he made some tails for it himself , he made an inverted T-tail .
i remember him telling about a pushrod system because a spring would not do the job (something about airflow on the vertical tail pulling the moving part of the horizontal).

i think he send me some pictures of the result back then and he had a tefon tubing going in arc shape over te vertical towards the horizontal tail.
but from what i think it should had some small play since the tubing needs to be larger then the pushrod not to have to much friction and in an arc shape this always induces an amount of play
Nov 24, 2021, 06:52 AM
Myfx
Thread OP
somthing like this should solve this issue
Nov 25, 2021, 01:22 PM
Awesome, Kristoff! Glad you are tinkering again. Good things tend to come of that. And I can confirm, the FX is a great flying DLG.
Nov 25, 2021, 01:25 PM
Very cool, welcome back Kristof.
Nov 25, 2021, 02:03 PM
I know the Inside out.....
Kristof,

This is a very nice looking design.

Apparantly there is a few potential downsides to manage from the T design. Assuming you solve the issue for the extra play, what would be the benefit of having a T shape?

Or is it for its attractive looks only?

Thanks
Nov 25, 2021, 02:45 PM
Myfx
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbrik
Kristof,

This is a very nice looking design.

Apparantly there is a few potential downsides to manage from the T design. Assuming you solve the issue for the extra play, what would be the benefit of having a T shape?

Or is it for its attractive looks only?

Thanks
main goal : something that looks different but i add the requirement of not losing performance while trying something different

horizontal would definalty be out of the wing wake.

it looks cool (to me , tastes and flavors differentiate offcourse)

that's about it .

i would not know how the launch could be any diffrent from a conventional setup if the connection is rock solid it should pitch up right away i assume??
Nov 25, 2021, 02:47 PM
Myfx
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG
Awesome, Kristoff! Glad you are tinkering again. Good things tend to come of that. And I can confirm, the FX is a great flying DLG.
yes love it , the xxlite was even nicer to fly in my opnion but it lacked performance in some aspects , the FX just got it all , what i nice flying and excelent
performing ship

Quick Reply