Nov 22, 2021, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dumb question from a noob

I have a DX6. I am not going to be doing any aerobatics , just around the patch straight and level. Do I need to set high/low rates or can I just set the servo travel at a low rate and not mess with the high/low thing?

Also, what is a good low rate for a trainer type plane, 50%?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2021, 08:47 PM
it's not a matter of aerobatics. if you just want to reduce rates, and/or add expo, you can do that alone.
one reason for dual rates is so you can learn to fly on low rates, then practice with high rates when you're comfortable. high rates train you to be gentle with the sticks.
beginners tend to over react, which can wreak havoc at high rates.

two nice trainers are the sport cub s2, and the umx turbo timber, or if you have a large enough field, the apprentice or one of the larger timbers.

all great planes with as3x and safe.
Nov 22, 2021, 10:39 PM
Thread OP

Thanks for the reply

OK, good information to know. So about 50% for both the low rate and expo?
Nov 23, 2021, 12:02 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
It depends on the model.... But a good guess is 50% of available travel for everything and 50% expo is a decent guess too.... Have someone with experience go over the model, he'll probably use the TLAR method to set the travel of ailerons/rudder/elevator for you
Nov 23, 2021, 12:06 AM
B for Bruce
Matador the first choice should be to mechanically limit the controls by using the optional holes at the servo's output arm and holes at the control horns. Start by using the most outward hole at the control horn. And if needed pick the second in hole at the servo's arm.

This reduces the throw available and "softens" the response just like you're looking to do. But it preserves the power and full control of the servo at the same time by keeping the servo moving through it's entire range of travel.

Only if the horns at the control surfaces do not have optional holes should you consider setting the control channel volumes or limits depending on what this feature is called in your Tx.

You might want to add some expo. But a little goes a long way. Add too much and the controls sort of react like they are super soft for small inputs but then make the model jump far too strongly when you hit the "knee" of the expo curve.

It is also best to read the owner's manual for your model. If it's intended as a trainer like you say then there should be control travel figures to use for training and some for later on for sport flying. Do what you can mechanically with the pushrods first and then use the programming to achieve those suggested values.
Nov 23, 2021, 12:42 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
BMatthews advice is much better than mine. My advice was geared more toward down and dirty , get it flying .... Using all available travel is indeed better and mechanically adjusting travel is always better than doing it with your radio.
Nov 23, 2021, 10:55 AM
This bird you cant change.
I have all of my birds at 50%, because I still over control everything. I keep 75% at the next clicker when I feel confortable with the aircraft. Now if the winds would die down, I could actually start flying again, I feel like im on the planet Jupiter with its massive winds. Heh..
Nov 23, 2021, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks to all!

It's a Banana Hobby Sky Surfer, my first aileron plane. My previous was a scratch built high-wing trainer. I got pretty good with it after many crashes and repairs. Kinda gave up on the hobby for a good while. Just now getting back into it with the new radio and Sky Surfer.

The guy that got me into the hobby several years ago, retired and moved away. I went to a couple of meetings of the local club but didn't know anyone and was not welcomed, so gave that up. I have no one experienced that I can ask these questions. You guys are AWESOME, thanks so much.

The control rods are in the outermost holes but I will have check the servo end, not sure.

After all this good information, I think I will set up 50% low and 70% high with 30% expo and give it a try. I have to wait to get a bigger battery in order to get the CG right. I only have a 3 cell 1300, not heavy enough. I'll try a 2200.

Thanks again.
Nov 23, 2021, 01:02 PM
yeah, at least 50%. i often start with 30% because some planes can be really twitch. same with expo.
i like to set up a switch,incase i have strted too low, i can flip it in time to get a decent turn and not have the plane fly away on me.

all the best with the sky surfer, looks like a nice model!
Nov 23, 2021, 03:46 PM
BMathews advice is great. Do the mechanical adjustments if you are trying to just soften it up a bit, but also remember that you can adjust it out as you find that you need more throws, and adjust in multiple rates within your radio as well. Having different options within the radio is great for some planes, and i actually recommend setting up multiple rates in what I call the Goldilocks configuration:

Low Rates - 50% Dual rates, 30% expo on Aileron, Elevator, Rudder for most planes (especially if it's a trainer)

Mid Rates - 70% Dual Rates, 30% expo on Aileron, Elevator, Rudder (again, for most planes)

High Rates - 100% Dual Rates, 30% expo on Aileron, Elevator, Rudder

The Low Rates tends to be too soft for me on reaction, the 100% can be too much, and the Mid Rates tends to be about right - FOR ME.

I give these suggestions AS A STARTING POINT. Let me say that again, THIS IS A STARTING POINT. Rates and expo are what I would consider personal preference, as well as dependent on the plane itself; however, this will give you an idea of what more or less Dual Rates do as you flip the 3 Way Switch, to see how tame it is or how squirrelly/responsive the plane gets in the air.

You may find that 50% is still a tad more responsive than you want for just basic flying, in which case you can land and dial it down a bit. Or you may like the mid rates, and set that for your low, while dialing u to 85% for the Mid and 100% for the high. Again, all preference.

I recently bought a Crack Yak from Twisted Hobbys and had one of the 3D pilots at the field set it up and help me dial in the rates. He was dialing in 70-80% expo and 125% throws on some of the settings, and when I was trying to fly it, the plane felt absolutely unresponsive until I was banging the sticks to full stop - at which point, it was overly responsive and I didn't feel like there was fine control. I kept overcorrecting when trying to do rolls or lops, and I finally had to dial the expo back down. He tried to fly it and said, "Oh lordy - this thing is SUPER twitchy!!! How can you fly like that?"

I put the plane up in the air, snap rolled it, and said, "Apparently, I have more control like this! Who knew this was what I needed?"

So, to sum up, start with something low, have some different rates you can navigate through to see how it feels, and then try to dial in something that you feel comfortable with. THAT is where the dual rates and expo on a switch is helpful. The object is not to complicate things, but to make it easier to fly your plane and make you successful.
Nov 24, 2021, 01:44 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
... This reduces the throw available and "softens" the response just like you're looking to do. But it preserves the power and full control of the servo at the same time by keeping the servo moving through it's entire range of travel. ...
It also keeps servo resolution intact and reduces play caused by hornholes/linkage/steerringrod.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow
E-flight calculators watt-meters diy motor tips&tricks Cumulus MFC
Nov 24, 2021, 07:09 AM
find someone where you fly, that you like the style of flying they do. Ask them to look over your rates and throws before you do anything.

I like precision flying, if I buy a used plane with 2" servo arms or the manufacturer says 2" arms on a new plane, chances are I will I normally reduce that to 1" or 1.25" (depending on the plane etc). Find that one person that you want to fly like, and ask them to help you, it will make your progress faster.

Quick Reply