Nov 22, 2021, 07:38 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Discussion

Karen Encounter Diffused

Had my first Karen encounter on my way home from work.

A couple of years ago, the city relaxed some bylaws to allow for <250 grams in city parks. I fly in them often and always have gotten positive feedback.

I was flying such an aircraft, when I hear in the distance, "Is that yours?"

To which I respond "Yup"

And I hear, "You Can't Fly That Here!"

"Yes, I can!" and I left it at that and continued flying.

A few minutes later, I land and walk towards the voice I heard. There is a lady about my age on a bike on the phone, she says it again, "You Can't Fly That Here!"

As I approached her, a family intercepts me, interested in the plane. I am now about ten feet from the woman. I show them the plane and how it works, and while talking to them, the woman says, "It is annoying to other people, buzzing them.

I said "I don't buzz anybody, and you are the only person that has ever shown anything but a positive reaction," and I gestured to the family I was talking to. They quickly bowed out and went on their way so I could talk with the lady.

I repeated that I don't fly over anybody, little own "buzz them", and she backpedalled saying she meant the plane buzzing is annoying, but it didn't matter anyway, it was against the law.

I tell her, It isn't, the city allows for under 250 gram aircraft like this, I can show you the webpage on my phone"

She says "No, I don't need to see it, I am on the phone with them now." Assumed she was on the phone with the police, I offered her my card to identify me, as I am sure the cops got better things to do. She declined.

Turns out, she was on the hold with 311, the city information line, gave us some time to chat.

I could have started recording her to share the fun, maybe antagonize her a bit. But, though my adrenaline was rising, I managed to keep calm.

I told her how pleased I was that the city allows it, that after work I can stop here fly my plane and the stress melts away, kinda like riding my bike, seeking some common interest, took a close look at hers, it was high tech and she was proud of it. We talked for a while, we both grew up in the area, so there was that too. We disagreed on a few things, she didn't like the idea of kids seeing me and a bunch of them flying in the park, I said "That would be wonderful," and added "Its a beautiful park, ya gotta share"

When I got away with that comment, I knew things were going in a positive direction. I went on about the passion I have for the hobby, how great it is for kids and families, I hit every positive point I could think of. She eventually gave up on the phone call, and I urged her to just check their website when she got home.

Maybe she did, maybe she didn't.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2021, 12:06 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Good job! It can be hard to keep your cool when confronted by a Karen, especially when you are in the right
Nov 23, 2021, 12:08 AM
B for Bruce
Nicely handled for sure. It would have been super easy to let tempers run amok.
Nov 23, 2021, 08:48 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Thanks,

Though I feel I did the right thing, the encounter still makes me angry and there is a part of me that wishes I handled it more aggressively. What is wrong with some people, she acted like it was her park, and the other users were ruining it for her, despite the fact that my activities had zero impact on hers. How would a kid react to such a chastising, even though he is doing everything right, and that is what makes me most angry.
Nov 23, 2021, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape
When I got away with that comment, I knew things were going in a positive direction.
So the question is: Did you get her phone number ?
Nov 23, 2021, 10:25 AM
This bird you cant change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupez
Hell yeah!!!
Nov 23, 2021, 10:26 AM
This bird you cant change.
I met a Karen when I was younger, She was hot!!!!! I miss Karen!!!Did I mention she was a doll. Married by now, I reckon..
Nov 23, 2021, 10:27 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupez
Though not bad looking for a woman in my age group, I think there may be a reason she was riding alone at the time. I think I could have gone there had I had the inclination, but let some other man try to reign her in.
Nov 23, 2021, 10:36 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
The Taliban would put her in her place
Nov 23, 2021, 03:34 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
The Taliban would put her in her place
Don't have many of them around here.
Nov 23, 2021, 05:28 PM
This reminds me of a scary Karen incident that happened locally. A guy was flying a big electric helicopter at a park that had very clear signs listing the hours that flying is allowed. While he had the helicopter in the air, Karen came running and screaming at him about he shouldn't be flying there. He managed to kick out with one leg, knocking her down, and giving him time to land the copter. He then called the cops, who upon arrival, hauled her off. Apparently this wasn't the first incident she was involved in.
Nov 23, 2021, 06:20 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Yes, I too kick people to the ground if and when they interfere with my flying but when the cops come, they haul ME away instead
Nov 23, 2021, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMS DUDE
I met a Karen when I was younger, She was hot!!!!! I miss Karen!!!Did I mention she was a doll. Married by now, I reckon..
Written for posterity on the stall wall:

"No matter how cute she is, someone is tired of her sh**".
Nov 24, 2021, 10:12 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Yes, I too kick people to the ground if and when they interfere with my flying but when the cops come, they haul ME away instead
I have heard that those Zambian cops won an award for being the most corrupt. Perhaps, you are being less than generous in augmenting their income.

Or it could be not so much the kick, but the razor blade leading edges on your Zagi.
Nov 24, 2021, 10:18 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Who would do such a thing! Putting razor blades on the LE of a flying wing and intentionally trying to hit someone and slice them up?. Maybe some LA street gang would try it I don't know. Imagine walking down an alley then hearing that horrible pusher prop noise, turn around just in time to see the razor blade leading edge zagi slice you across the chest. As you lay on the ground bleeding profusely some gang members come and take you wallet. You hear them mumbling about their lipo being puffed and arguing over who's going to buy a new lipo as they pick up the zagi 10 yards further down the alley

Quick Reply