Nov 25, 2021, 10:03 AM
Trader Rating: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagomon
The paypal fee should be figured into the selling price ahead of time.There are sites that can calculate the final price for you. I don't pay more that the sticker price at the store as there cost are already figured in sellers here should learn to do the same.
^^^It is absolutely impossible to make it any simpler than this^^^
The only question here is how does this continue to be an issue?
Last edited by RMurf101; Nov 27, 2021 at 09:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2021, 01:27 PM
Trader Rating: 87
It just feels greedy adding fees above the asking price. I think that's why I avoid those sellers. It's just my perception but I don't want to deal with sellers that appear greedy.
Nov 25, 2021, 02:16 PM
Trader Rating: 107
You're only as old as you feel
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Jan 05, 2022 at 01:37 AM.
Nov 25, 2021, 03:04 PM
Trader Rating: 13
Seem pretty simple to just add fees into the price, but I think there's more to this, as it comes up from time to time. There's probably at least a few people who see their potential customers here in less than the ideal light, due to past experiences of unrealistic haggling, flaking, etc. Personally I like to have items being shipped to me by happy sellers.
Nov 25, 2021, 08:45 PM
Trader Rating: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Perhaps the seller would prefer a money order but is willing to take PayPal if the buyer is willing to pay for the convenience/protection themselves.
Skirting around PayPal's silly policy... offer a 3% 'cash discount' to buyers who pay by any acceptable means that doesn't cost the seller any third-party fees.
Nov 25, 2021, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignernt_dweeb
Skirting around PayPal's silly policy... offer a 3% 'cash discount' to buyers who pay by any acceptable means that doesn't cost the seller any third-party fees.
That sounds better, it isn't really about paying an extra 3%, it's more the attitude it conveys to the buyer from the seller. I think it would be better that sellers shouldn't accept paypal if they aren't willing to build the cost into their sale. I have some regulars that do local pickups and I give them a bigger discount than 3%. I don't have to pack or ship, don't have to worry about 'not as described' etc plus I appreciate they come back for more
Nov 25, 2021, 09:21 PM
Quote:
It just feels greedy adding fees above the asking price. I think that's why I avoid those sellers. It's just my perception but I don't want to deal with sellers that appear greedy.
I once offered to sell a little firearm ammunition to people in my area who needed some but couldn't find any due to panic-buying and the profiteers buying it all to resell at double the retail value. I preemptively and expressly wrote I was offering only very low quantities and was 'not' selling to those looking to resell for profit. A few purchased the one or two boxes offered at current 'reputable fair retailer' prices. Then there were those who ignored my 'no profiteering' statement. Those people asked how much I had and wanted to buy it all. Against my better judgment, I told one guy I'd sell him 4 boxes of .30-06 and quoted him the lowest price I could find from reputable retailers (not profiteers' insane prices), plus my cost of sales tax and shipping (if bought by the case so shipping was minimal). This was the very cheapest cost to replace it... if it could be found at all.

THE POINT: (((I know this isn't your situation))). That guy went ballistic and yelled that I shouldn't be charging shipping and tax. I explained that I paid those costs and just wanted to break even. Everything was upfront. That didn't help the situation. He just wanted to take advantage. It's not greedy to want a fair price for something, including associated expenses. In this situation, the buyer was the greedy one. I told him to pound sand and don't ask again. (((I know this isn't your situation))).

I stopped offering to sell ammo to anyone. I don't bother selling anything on forums either and just pay eBay's insanely high fees. No arguments, no heartburn.

There is a cold disconnect on buy/sell venues such as eBay. Online forums like this one are supposed to be a virtual meeting place for people with common interests and/or like-mindedness. IMO, using forums primarily or solely for 'profit' degrades the intended purpose of the website. Again, just my opinion.
Last edited by ignernt_dweeb; Nov 25, 2021 at 09:38 PM.
Nov 25, 2021, 09:28 PM
Quote:
That sounds better, it isn't really about paying an extra 3%, it's more the attitude it conveys to the buyer from the seller. I think it would be better that sellers shouldn't accept paypal if they aren't willing to build the cost into their sale. I have some regulars that do local pickups and I give them a bigger discount than 3%. I don't have to pack or ship, don't have to worry about 'not as described' etc plus I appreciate they come back for more
That's very true and a wise way to do business. People very much appreciate being treated with fairness and respect.

Examples of 'gentler' and more 'positive' language are; 'previously owned' vs 'used', 'temporarily misfiled' vs 'lost', 'please lower your tone, sir, we're doing our best' vs 'shut up and go to the back of the line', etc. And never, never, NEVER forget the.
Last edited by ignernt_dweeb; Nov 26, 2021 at 10:36 AM.
Dec 06, 2021, 09:42 AM
Trader Rating: 104
Retired US Navy
Really good post. I especially like the last part about being a virtual meeting spot and not a place to run a business. A pet peeve is a few that post their wares constantly in discussion threads.

The classifieds price to me is a starting point whether or not I have to pay shipping or fees on top of the price. If I think the posted total is fair to me I pay it, if not I make an offer, that simple. Nothing to get worked up about. More annoying is when I PM the person and post in the thread that I'm PM'ing them and the item is sold without response to me, not polite, a simple "sorry it sold" would be nice.

As far as PP's fees being a surcharge, not sure that would hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignernt_dweeb
I once offered to sell a little firearm ammunition to people in my area who needed some but couldn't find any due to panic-buying and the profiteers buying it all to resell at double the retail value. I preemptively and expressly wrote I was offering only very low quantities and was 'not' selling to those looking to resell for profit. A few purchased the one or two boxes offered at current 'reputable fair retailer' prices. Then there were those who ignored my 'no profiteering' statement. Those people asked how much I had and wanted to buy it all. Against my better judgment, I told one guy I'd sell him 4 boxes of .30-06 and quoted him the lowest price I could find from reputable retailers (not profiteers' insane prices), plus my cost of sales tax and shipping (if bought by the case so shipping was minimal). This was the very cheapest cost to replace it... if it could be found at all.

THE POINT: (((I know this isn't your situation))). That guy went ballistic and yelled that I shouldn't be charging shipping and tax. I explained that I paid those costs and just wanted to break even. Everything was upfront. That didn't help the situation. He just wanted to take advantage. It's not greedy to want a fair price for something, including associated expenses. In this situation, the buyer was the greedy one. I told him to pound sand and don't ask again. (((I know this isn't your situation))).

I stopped offering to sell ammo to anyone. I don't bother selling anything on forums either and just pay eBay's insanely high fees. No arguments, no heartburn.

There is a cold disconnect on buy/sell venues such as eBay. Online forums like this one are supposed to be a virtual meeting place for people with common interests and/or like-mindedness. IMO, using forums primarily or solely for 'profit' degrades the intended purpose of the website. Again, just my opinion.
Dec 06, 2021, 02:39 PM
Trader Rating: 42
The Mad Titan
I find it amusing when people complain about eBay and Paypal fees, as if For Profit companies are not entitled to make a profit by allowing people to use their service.

If you think 10%-15% is too much to pay for a plug and play retail business with worldwide access and business tools up the yinyang, the answer to your complaints are very simple; go design your own website and payment processing system. I mean, how much could it cost? Surely not more than 15% of whatever sales you make I'm sure
Dec 07, 2021, 01:22 PM
Trader Rating: 147
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
Yep, they should quietly add them into the price before hand.
Same rationale, isn't it stingy and cheap to ask for a discount on items already below market value or ask for people to split shipping costs? Who wants to deal with stingy/cheap buyers?

Fees are $3 per $100 roughly and the average sale hovers around the $100 figure. We're going to have a 3 page debate about a $3 fee? If a seller has a discounted item that's easily $50 cheaper than anywhere else, you're going to walk away over a $3 discrepancy? Good! I'll take it!
But that's a "Really big hit" for the seller, who should just add that amount to the price...
Dec 07, 2021, 03:04 PM
Trader Rating: 355
I pay the sellers asking price figuring that the fees have already been account for.When I go to a retail store I pay their asking price.Who in their right mind ever offer to may more than the asking price at a retail store.If that's being stingy so be it.
Dec 11, 2021, 03:37 PM
Trader Rating: 21
Since when is it the responsibility of the buyer to pay the sellers fee. This discussion has been going on since PayPal started charging all the fees. If someone is so worried about a 5 or 10 dollar fee, then before even listing, add the couple dollars into the asking price and be done with it. It's so simple. I just don't understand all the back and forth. Silliness in my opinion!!
Dec 11, 2021, 04:36 PM
Trader Rating: 104
Retired US Navy
It's a "discussion" forum...

Who says it's a sellers fee?
Dec 11, 2021, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D

Who says it's a sellers fee?
PayPal says it, in as much as it's against thier terms of service to add a surcharge to accept PayPal. Of course the buyer is paying it or the seller is getting less.

Just add in your sellers costs to not look like a cheapskate.

Quick Reply