Nov 21, 2021, 12:56 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Question

Is this a laser cutter?

Take at look at 3:39 in the video pleae...is this a laser cutter being used?

ALIGN's helicopter factory (4 min 8 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2021, 03:19 PM
I would say yes. Although not the safest way to use it.
Nov 21, 2021, 06:14 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Thank you, I thought perhaps so but I have not seen a laser cutter in use. I too was a bit surprised that what ever was doing the cutting there was no protection for the operator. All out in the open....looks like a bad plan.
Nov 21, 2021, 08:04 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Definitely a laser cutter. And just before they showed the cutter, they showed a laser marking system (which is basically a lower power cutter with a more limited working area). In both cases the "cutting deck" was completely out in the open, unshrouded. An extremely poor practice that would be a non-starter in the US and Europe but which is, sadly, I am sure, very common in China.

It looked like maybe the laser marking operators were wearing goggles, but the guy who kicked off the laser cutter definitely wasn't. And there's a door for the cutter that's clearly open, which probably means they disabled the interlock that keeps the cutter from running when the door is open.

The laser marking station was marking anodized Aluminum, which doesn't really generate any nasty vapors. But the laser cutter was lasing plastic and that does generate lots of dangerous fumes, which is another reason you want to close the laser cutter door when doing a cut.
Nov 25, 2021, 11:44 AM
Neophyte hacker
Laser and other industrial safety is not well enforced in many countries. But you can find factories in the US where some of the safety features are 'tied off'. I saw that on a large laser cutter facility. The >10kW lasers were cutting sheet metal and had surrounding shields and interlocked door. The door interlocks were tied off and operators entered the work area while the laser was running. They were wearing laser goggles.

It was surprising to me after working in laser R&D for many years. We tested interlocks before any operations to make sure they were all in place. Even then we had some incidents that would cause us to redo our safety procedures, mostly on the outdoor ranges and target pads.

charlie
Nov 29, 2021, 08:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Scary for sure!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....

Quick Reply