Nov 17, 2021, 09:35 AM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
Discussion

Yoda EL

Seen on rc-network.de, an electric Yoda F5K model.

Four servo, two piece wing, with some nice engineering on the flap servo install. The flap servo pocket is similar to the solution in the Flitz 3 F3K model (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...17&postcount=3 ), or some of the Jaro Mueller models (Egida, Espadita, etc).

Also a wing-fuselage joint like on the bigger F3B/F5J models.

I am myself not interested in F5K, but I appreciate the evolution of models in that class, and the engineering details.

Best,
Reto

Image source: https://www.rc-network.de/threads/yo...#post-12144036
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2021, 01:05 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Thanks for sharing Reto.

Who's going to be the first to fly it in an F5J comp. and embarrass the 4m ships?
Nov 18, 2021, 07:36 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
Thanks for sharing Reto.

Who's going to be the first to fly it in an F5J comp. and embarrass the 4m ships?
Not saying it can’t be done but F5J ships have about nearly 50% better performance than F3K models in L/D and sink rate.
On span alone they can go 250% further downwind (visibility)
The only advantage an F3K model has is its ability to turn same radius with less speed difference between the wing tips…

I have had this discussion a few times in the past and unless it’s a very low wind day with lots of thermals, making 10 minute flights from 30 meters with a 1.5 meter model on each one of your official flights is harder than you think…
Nov 18, 2021, 09:15 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
Reto, thanks for showing this to us. I too am not interested in that new class, but like seeing the new technology.

roydor, I have a Horejsi Geronimo that I bought to fun fly. I was asked why I have not flown in our local F5J annual event. What you describe is exactly the reason I won't. Asked the inquirer why should I handicap myself before I start with equipment that can't compete in our normal conditions? Besides, I told him, "I'm handicapped enough". BTW, the Geronimo is a fun little airplane to fly and performs very well for it's size.
Nov 18, 2021, 03:15 PM
Not landing late ever again
How does it do on a 5s and a half kg of ballast?
Nov 19, 2021, 12:05 PM
It is of course a fascinating idea to "show them" with such a nice, probably less expensive little glider. We have had these in our F5J-competitions, flown by rather good pilots. In the end, they land out or to trees, or never get up again after the first bubble is lost. My conclusion is that F5K-gliders do not generate thermals more than F5J gliders do

Aaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
Thanks for sharing Reto.

Nov 19, 2021, 01:38 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
In preparation for the 2011 F3K worlds, I did AULD with my buddy Neal Huffman launching his light Supra on a bungee while I threw my SalPeter or Steigeisen.

The results were very clear: to range out to a distant thermal, the legs of the Supra were shockingly better than those of an F3K plane. In a small, weak thermal, the F3K plane could sometimes hang on to something the J plane couldn't.

Years later repeated some flights with Daryl Perkins flying his J planes. There was still a small edge of the SALpeter for tiny, weak thermals, but on anything else, the J plane was much more performant.

F5J planes might now be even better in weak thermals than the J planes back then, and the large advantage in legs should still be there.

But back to the plane in this thread!

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Nov 19, 2021 at 02:58 PM.
Nov 20, 2021, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X
F5J planes might now be even better in weak thermals than the J planes back then, and the large advantage in legs should still be there.
In a weak thermal it is a night and day difference between 2011 F3J plane and 2021 F5J plane.
Nov 22, 2021, 10:21 AM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
Back to topic:

there are some pictures on Darius Mahmoudi's website.

https://mahmoudi-modellsport.eu/yodael

In particular, this insert holds the servos and ballast, and has the wing connectors integrated.

I like that idea and might do something similar for a much larger F3G plane.

Best,
Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Nov 23, 2021, 12:21 AM
Shouldn't this plane be called a Yodel?

Quick Reply