What the Heck Wednesday - Cartoon Scale Messerschmitt

This guy created a cute looking Cartoon Scale Messerschmitt Bf 109 and all its missing is some eyes and a mouth for it to be featured on a Disney cartoon movie.

Splash

One Tough Little Foamy

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video of a cartoon scale warbird. Note that I am not poking fun at this plane or the pilot. I think it is actually pretty cool and fun as long as you are not a diehard scale fan. This guy created a cute looking Cartoon Scale Messerschmitt Bf 109 and all its missing is some eyes and a mouth for it to be featured on a Disney cartoon movie. It looks like a scratch build from depron foam and the creator says plans will be available for it. It's a tough little guy too. As you can see in the video, it handles several crashes including a tree landing and comes out with flying colors.

What do you guys think about this one?

Details:

• Materials: XPS foam (or Depron)
  • Wingspan: 600mm
  • Flying Weight: 162g
  • Onboard action camera: Mobius mini v2 (lens B) 25g

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Nov 17, 2021, 09:57 AM
Hey Jason,
This is way better. It's from the same guy.

Stanley Box RC Plane DIY (5 min 11 sec)
Nov 17, 2021, 10:18 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Very cool!
Nov 17, 2021, 12:21 PM
Looks like someone was exposed to the classic (and still produced) Hasegawa "Egg Plane" series of plastic models.

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/gsite/item_g/th_g/
Nov 17, 2021, 12:27 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ok........NOW I've seen everything!

Very cool and very nice video.

Michael
Nov 17, 2021, 04:34 PM
Parkflyer plastics has sold kits for cartoon warbirds for years.

https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...ex&cPath=24_62
Nov 18, 2021, 01:18 AM
I was thinking Parkflyer Plastics too.
Cartoon scale is fun.
Nov 18, 2021, 10:24 AM
There are lots of these models being built. Check this out for example.

The Legendary FAT FIGHTERS: Reunion 2020 (7 min 2 sec)
Nov 18, 2021, 05:13 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes
Looks like someone was exposed to the classic (and still produced) Hasegawa "Egg Plane" series of plastic models.

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/gsite/item_g/th_g/
In Model Rocketry there's an event called Plastic Model Conversion (PMC), where you convert a non-flying plastic model of a rocket, spaceship or jet powered airplane for rocket flight. Years ago I was looking ar a Hasegawa Mig 15 "Egg Plane" kit on the remnants table at the Dayton Air Force Museum's gift shop. A rocket buddy said, "Neat if you could convert it, but it's too small."

A challenge like that can't be ignored. At the next club launch, it flew just fine on a 13mm. A10-3T motor. Deflected ailerons and a couple ounces of clay surrounding the stuffer tube at the nose ensured a stable, straight up flight. The only hard part was tightly packing a 10" recovery chute in the little space between the front of the motor and the nose so it would eject and deploy.

A couple years later my son built another "Egg" Mig 15 and placed second at NARAM, model rocketry's nationals.

- Roger
Nov 19, 2021, 12:08 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Very cute!! Now I'm going to have to build one!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....

Quick Reply