What's One Thing You Wish You Knew When You Started Flying

What are some things you would tell yourself about the RC hobby that you now know, but didn't when you started?

Splash

One Thing You Wish You Knew

I recently got into a different hobby and it's been interesting coming into something brand new with no knowledge or experience. I've been flying RC for so long, I've forgotten what that feels like to be a beginner. I've already discovered some gotcha's in my new hobby and thought, boy that would have been nice to know before I started. I'm not talking about bad things that would make you not want to get into the hobby, but rather simple things like tips and tricks or ways to save you money or make better choices about what you do.

One thing I wish I could go back and tell myself is to go ahead and buy a really nice computer radio instead of the single model one I started with. I upgraded radios probably 4 or 5 times and spent more money and time than if I would have just bought the really nice one to begin with.

With that in mind, go ahead and tell me and the rest of the community what you wish you knew before getting started in the RC hobby. Perhaps it will help some newcomers and maybe even some experienced pilots alike.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Nov 11, 2021 at 07:16 PM..
Nov 12, 2021, 09:35 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
I wish I had known to:
1) Find a local RC club and join - all they want to do is help you learn to fly without having to spend lots of money on wrecked aircraft.
2) Buy a tried and true simple trainer with rudder, elev, ailerons and throttle. Do NOT by the cool low wing WW2 fighter until your 3rd plane.
3) Before flying the first time spend quite a bit of time on the FLIGHT SIM crashing models for free. Once you stop crashing on the SIM, then it is time to risk an actual physical RC model. I did not follow this advice and churned through a bunch of models when I was young.
4) I wish I knew enough to seek out a competent club flyer to teach me how to fly, again avoid multiple disheartening crashes and damage.

Is there a theme here? Yes.

Not getting help from others who can fly, costs a lot of money - but I did become very proficient at repairing crashed RC aircraft!

Jon (Spit100)
Nov 12, 2021, 11:04 AM
AeroDan
To add a little up-elevator when turning.
Nov 12, 2021, 11:19 AM
Create an effective and efficient way of hiding RC related expenses from the spouse.

Only kidding. My wife is very understanding about my hobbies.

I’m actually more embarrassed by the expenses than she is upset by them.

Every time I think I have spent sufficient money and have enough I find something else I need/want.
Nov 12, 2021, 11:53 AM
It doesn't matter WHAT you fly, as long as you are enjoying it and not being a jerk to others or endangering people.

It's fun to fly fast planes, it's fun to fly 3D, it's fun to fly gliders, it's fun to break out that P-51 and have mock dogfights with the guy who's got an ME-109. It's even fun to take that helicopter or quadcopter out and make it scream.
Nov 13, 2021, 05:19 PM
When my father and I built our first 2ch glider, I wish we had known that the correct way for the elevator stick on the Tx is supposed to be set up, is pulling the stick for "UP"...

We set it up as pushing the stick upwards made the elevator move up...
That resulted in a couple of chrashes!

Tommy
Nov 13, 2021, 06:11 PM
fix-n-fly
I wish I had known two things: 1) experience with a control line plane is not equal to experience with a RC plane, and 2) ask others what works as far as a starter plane and motor before you spend your money.
Nov 13, 2021, 06:21 PM
Returning Flyer
1) When running nitro tune and take off slightly rich. It WILL lean out in the air.

2) Throttle for altitude, Elevator for speed, NOT the other way around.

3) Keep your nose down on your landing approach.
Nov 13, 2021, 07:06 PM
Intermediate Multi
Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli.
Nov 14, 2021, 03:10 PM
Returning Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
ALWAYS take the Cannoli!
Nov 14, 2021, 03:16 PM
Rc airplanes are more addictive than any drug out there and the friends you make at the field will only encourage you to get more.
Nov 14, 2021, 04:03 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Oh Fun...

All above...

Serious - Learn safety early and practice always. Heck even my Champ(s) have throttle cut...

Have Fun, and let others Have Fun too...

No matter how good a stick banger you are, you will be "judged" by your landings... Not my rule... Just the truth...

Sooooo many more... Many of them funny as heck but that would be like "spoiling" a movie...

Mark R.

Edit: The pic's the OP shared are just my point... How could I dare deprive him of the "joy" he received from those most valuable lessons...

old_coastie
Nov 14, 2021, 04:06 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsthetech
ALWAYS take the Cannoli!
capeesh...
Nov 14, 2021, 04:08 PM
"Some do, some don't"
And hopefully somebody will tell you about RCG...
Nov 14, 2021, 04:18 PM
killickb
A). That you will spend many times the allocated budget on this hobby. B) That two days after you buy “ that” model there will be another “must have” released.

Quick Reply