Nov 10, 2021, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

End of brand new Eflite A10 on maiden flight

Took a brand new A10 out for it's maiden flight this morning. It had a tendency to turn right and dive moderately and got the right turn tendency trimmed out. In the process of trimming the tendency to dive I most have accidentally hit left aileron while reaching for the trim switch and that put it into a roll so fast, I couldn't respond. The plane was about 75 feet high and about 150 yards out. Don't know why the trim was so far off. I have another A10 that flies well so I did a model copy to setup the new one. The CG was nearly exactly the same as the old one and everything looked good after setup. Well, I guess sheet happens and rack it up to a dumb thumbs mistake. Usually when trimming a plane that has a tendency to dive, I put it in a climbing attitude then crank in up trim.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2021, 02:21 PM
The trim of an airplane is at best a guess until you get it in the air. If the balance is right, about the only thing you can do is get way back from the plane and look at the wings, rudder and stab to be sure there isn't a warp and then check your throws and make sure you have enough but not too much.
Nov 10, 2021, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
Just ordred another one. Horizon Hobby loves me.
Nov 11, 2021, 03:31 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Go cheaper and build your own ?

Probably not as pretty as one from HH, but still great fun and now 12 years old.

Nov 11, 2021, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
59.5" wingspan is a pretty good size! With all the EDF units out there, have you though of converting it? maybe twin 70's?
Nov 12, 2021, 04:16 PM

First 2 or 3 take offs I go over 100 feet high to check out

I have time to go to idle & a glide. If I really get into a odd ball. I build great. But am no pilot.

Backed my car over a scratch built Blue Foam 81" A-10. 4 pounds without anything installed. I was very lucky.
Nov 14, 2021, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
The sudden roll has me baffled. I've been flying nearly every day for the last 8 1/2years. I've instructed many students but I can't explain the sudden roll. I guess I'll just have to say it was a dumb thumbs mistake. Looked at the wreck last night and hooked the RX up and applied power. The RX doesn't respond, doesn't light up.
Nov 14, 2021, 05:32 PM

Carefully

With a higher power magnifying glass. Remove the cover of the RX & check for green & black corrosion on plug tracks. My damp basement ruined REC> & battery plug pins.

Also check your battery for a bad ...odd reading cell voltage during recharge.
Nov 21, 2021, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Got brand new A10 going and did the maiden flight this morning. Same battery, CG location, as the one that crashed. Flew beautifully. No elevator trim required. Just a small amount of left aileron. Nice nos e high flare on landing, set down gently on mains. An uneventful flight.
Nov 26, 2021, 10:19 AM

Enjoy the A-10

It has allowed a LOT of active duty servicemen to have a Thanksgiving Dinner this year. It will continue that tradition for years to come.

Thank you all A-10 pilots.

Rich

Quick Reply