Avios Albatross US Coast Guard Flying Boat - Video

Avios has now introduced the Albatross HU-16 V2, this comes in a striking US Coast Guard color scheme with factory-applied decals.

Splash

Avios (PNF) Albatross HU-16 V2 US Coast Guard Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") - Flight Review

The Avios Albatross is back! Improvements in V2 include improved scale appearance, simplified wiring, and reduced weight for improved performance. Learn more about the updated Avios (PNF) Albatross HU-16 V2 US Coast Guard Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7")! Now available, including spare parts.

Avios (PNF) Albatross HU-16 V2 US Coast Guard Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") - Flight Review (20 min 52 sec)

When Avios released the Albatross HU-16 back in early 2019 it was extremely well received around the globe. This was due to being something just that little bit different in a PNF format, had excellent flying qualities, looked great, and was fun to fly off of land, and particularly water where it was in its element.

The best though can always be made even better, so Avios has now introduced the Albatross HU-16 V2, this comes in a striking US Coast Guard color scheme with factory-applied decals. Other improvements include clear cockpit windows for an improved scale appearance, better slow flight performance due to less paint which saves weight (the white in the color scheme is the natural color of the EPO foam), and perfectly color-matched plastic parts for a better appearance and finish. Also, the lengths of the servo leads and electronic wiring have been reduced to further save weight, improve access, and make for a neater installation. Last but not least is a clear plastic water rudder, this is more discreet but is still fully functional.

The Avios Albatross HU-16 is a beautiful twin-engine flying boat with a large monohull, and wing floats, the entire underneath of the front portion of the hull is reinforced with plastic. This allows it to happily take the knocks and bangs of using a grass airfield to fly from, but as mentioned before, it really does come into its own when operating from your favorite lake or waterway. Taxi-ing, and lining up for take-off are made all that much easier with the water rudder and the supplied Aerostar forward/reverse water-resistant ESC's. Built-in flaps provide plenty of lift and make the landings and take-offs that much easier and extremely scale-like.

The Plug-N-Fly Albatross is powered by twin pre-installed Aerostar 3536-850KV brushless outrunner motors driving scale 3-blade 10x6 propellers. The 2 Aerostar 30A reversing ESC's are also pre-installed along with the 7 splash-proof 9g servos. The Albatross was designed around a 3000~4000mAh 4S battery, but for scale flying it is equally at home on a 4000~5000mAh 3S battery. With the 3S 5000mAh set-up, flights of around 15 mins are possible with mixed throttle use. EPO foam is still used for all the major components, this gives strength, durability, and the surface finish is excellent. Also included are navigation lights, molded cowlings, and a comprehensive hardware pack which includes pushrods, and screws, etc.

The Albatross in its US Coast Guard color scheme provides a great presence in the air, looks outstanding, and scale low passes over water are an absolute dream, even more so now thanks to the weight saving. If you have never flown a model off of water before, and have never experienced the pure joy and fun of doing so, then the Albatross is the perfect model to get your water wings with! So, get out on the water and go soaring across the sky with the Avios Albatross HU-16 V2.

Features:

• Versatile flying boat design, great from grass, amazing from water.
  • Striking US Coast Guard color scheme with factory-applied decals.
  • Pre-installed twin AeroStar brushless motors and water-resistant reversing ESCs (suitable for differential thrust set-up if desired)
  • Clear cockpit windows for improved scale appearance
  • * Reduced all up weight improving stability and slow flight performance.
  • Clear plastic, discreet water rudder
  • Navigation lights

Featured in this video:

Turnigy Heavy Duty 3300mAh 4S 60C Lipo Pack w/XT-90: https://bit.ly/3wmaFKg

Nov 09, 2021, 11:16 AM
JohnVHRC
My Unboxing and Build of the NEW V2 Albatross!
Hobbyking Avios Grumman HU-16 ALBATROSS V2 1620mm UNBOXING ASSEMBLY!! (10 min 0 sec)
Latest blog entry: Grumman Albatross Aerobatics!?!
Nov 09, 2021, 11:16 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Thanks John!
Nov 09, 2021, 11:53 AM
JohnVHRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T.
Thanks John!
Yeah buddy!
Nov 09, 2021, 12:42 PM
DFS#000178
I need it. I haven't even flown mine in over a year because of the drought here in SoCal but I need this.
Nov 09, 2021, 05:01 PM
JohnVHRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I need it. I haven't even flown mine in over a year because of the drought here in SoCal but I need this.
Yeah you do!

https://bit.ly/3D4AtwX

Such an awesome flyer!
Nov 09, 2021, 05:31 PM
Fly Eat Sleep Repeat
Avios Albatross HU-16 V2 US Coast Guard Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") PNF Unboxing (25 min 24 sec)
Nov 09, 2021, 05:52 PM
Good Looking little foamy. Nice looking USCG Paint scheme as well. Good Job. Now make a nice Glass and Balsa ARF in a little larger size.
Nov 09, 2021, 11:33 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Great flight review!

Q: how well do the decals and paint hold up to the water? Is there, or should there be, any clear coat overall ?

RF
Nov 10, 2021, 12:45 AM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
Red I didn't have any decal issues in the water either with the V1 or V2 and they are applied using the same process.

S.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Nov 10, 2021, 03:18 PM
Enjoy flying gliders at Torrey

MinWax

Just ordered two of them. One for me and one for a good friend.

Would painting the plane with MinWax (clear) hurt anything? We also purchased and extra set of props and the nav light set up.

Looking forward to some lake flying.

Thank you
Nov 10, 2021, 03:32 PM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
I can't answer that as I have no idea what that substance is but hopefully a fellow Yank here on the forum will have experience with it.

S.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Nov 10, 2021, 03:40 PM
JohnVHRC
Its just a clear coat, people shoot their foam planes with that all the time.
Nov 10, 2021, 04:19 PM
Enjoy flying gliders at Torrey

MinWax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH
Its just a clear coat, people shoot their foam planes with that all the time.
Right..it’s just a clear coat of liquid wax that some people (me) will put on the foam to “shine” it up and make it look “glossy”. It would also probably help protect the foam as it is and can be waterproof.

Love the paint scheme BTW…. Can’t wait to see and fly it.
Nov 10, 2021, 05:14 PM
killickb
Wish this thing thread had started in Waterplanes but anyhow. My V1 Albatross was coated with, what I prefer, Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. Is water based, same as the plain Minwax but seems to give me a better, deeper one coat result.
Sold my V1 but am very tempted to get the V2 ! Trouble with selling and buying the same model again is that you usually are selling low and buying high !

Quick Reply