Stream Team Launches F5J Plane - Phoenix DF!

Ooooh boy this is some exciting news! Concept, the makers of the amazing CX5 F3K glider, have been hard at work for years to bring us a larger F5J model.

Splash

Rising from the Ashes....Literally

Ooooh boy this is some exciting news! Stream Team, the makers of the amazing CX5 F3K glider, have been hard at work for years to bring us a larger F5J model that aims to be just as fun and competitive as its smaller siblings. With the aero work being done by Philip Kolb and a new cool looking double flap system, I am super excited to get my hands on one when available.

After all the hard work and expense of making the molds, this plane almost didn't happen. A fire in the workshop resulted in loss of materials and the possibility that the molds for this plane were destroyed, all put the project in peril. Thankfully, after some time checking the molds, Laurynas has determined that the molds are good to go! The original name for the plane was going to be Cobalt, but given the circumstances, there is no better fitting name than the Phoenix. I am super pumped to be able to share this news with you, the Phoenix DF is coming! Congrats to Laurynas, Rollo, Philip and everyone else involved in this project. We can't wait to see them flying soon!

There are lots more details to come so stay tuned as more info and the webpage is released.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Nov 06, 2021 at 10:07 AM..
Nov 05, 2021, 10:50 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Just WOW!!!
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Nov 05, 2021, 10:50 AM
excelling at mediocrity
HooBoy!
Nov 05, 2021, 11:09 AM
Team Futaba
Looks interesting. Target weight and cost next 2 items to know!
Nov 05, 2021, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Looks interesting. Target weight and cost next 2 items to know!
Weight of the first RTF plane was 1.300gr with Aspro 62gr layup. We will run tests with CW layups once the workshop is renovated again.
But we’re expecting weights down to the FAI limit by the time…
Prices start from 1.980€ in Europe.
Servorahmen.de will do the distribution in Europe, Soaring USA in the US and Aero+ in China.

Cheers,

Rollo
Nov 05, 2021, 03:58 PM
F3B and F3K
Congrats to Laryunas and Rollo!

Very excited to see the double flap concept revived!

It has been tried before in F3B (mainly to gain better launch height), but especially the linkage was a royal PITA. The new linkage kinematic you guys have invented looks very interesting.

Very interested what it will enable in the F5J context, and how the aero layout of the new plane will work out.

Good luck!

Best,
Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Nov 05, 2021, 06:16 PM
The way of the future 😎

SoaringUSA is very excited for this one!
Nov 06, 2021, 12:01 AM
Tragic case
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X
Congrats to Laryunas and Rollo!

Very excited to see the double flap concept revived!

It has been tried before in F3B (mainly to gain better launch height), but especially the linkage was a royal PITA. The new linkage kinematic you guys have invented looks very interesting.

Very interested what it will enable in the F5J context, and how the aero layout of the new plane will work out.

Good luck!

Best,
Reto
Always interesting to see innovation. What is the potential advantage of double (curved) flaps please? Edit: I just glanced at "fowler" flaps . At first glance they seem to extend wing length and the slots contribute to lift.

I suppose a double flap would first increase lift more than drag and then increase drag more than lift as the aft section comes into play?
Last edited by davidleitch; Nov 06, 2021 at 12:07 AM.
Nov 06, 2021, 01:30 AM
Looks like a Fowler-ish or Zap flap. ?
Nov 06, 2021, 08:53 AM
Not Insane
Glad the donations helped get things back up and running. Great looking flap system. Has a lot of potential for slow speed flight, seems to me. Dan
Nov 06, 2021, 09:38 AM
It doesn’t look like a typical “Fowler” which extends to offer more flap cord, it’s just a double hinged large flap (at least that’s what I see in the photos). Alex is right, it’s the way of the future.
Last edited by s2000; Nov 06, 2021 at 10:46 AM.
Nov 06, 2021, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
It doesn’t look like a typical “Fowler” which extends to offer more flap cord, it’s just a double hinged large flap (at least that’s what I see in the photos). Alex is right, it’s the way of the future.
You are right. Just looked at the video.

Don't agree that it is the wave of the future, though it is a pretty neat articulated flap system.
Nov 06, 2021, 01:44 PM
RV7guy

Looks nice

I had a couple of Stream DLG's. The quality is incredible. Looks like this will follow in line.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Nov 07, 2021, 12:40 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
I’m failing to see the aerodynamic benefits of this flap. I don’t see any slots between the two flaps, which is what provides the aerodynamic benefits on full scale. If it just looks cool I don’t think it’s worth the complexity.
Latest blog entry: Colour Schemes
Nov 07, 2021, 08:31 AM
Beautiful art work and layup.

Quick Reply