DJI Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine is Here

The long awaited update to the DJI Mavic line is finally here with the announcement of the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine.

Splash

Imaging Above Everything

The long awaited update to the DJI Mavic line is finally here with the announcement of the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine. These feature a similar design to previous models with some updates including dual Hasselblad cameras that records up to 5.1K resolution and with Apple ProRes on the Cine version and a massive 28x zoom. You get better omnidirectional obstacle avoidance, OC3+ transmission which allows for 15km of range, a whopping 46 minutes of flight time and so much more.

What's your favorite new feature on the Mavic 3?

The Mavic 3 starts at $2199 and goes up to $4999 for the Cine Premium Combo.

Check out the new Mavic 3 Here

Follow the Mavic 3 Main Discussion Thread Here

Nov 07, 2021, 09:14 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Pricing starts at $2k+

....plus it looks boring to fly compared to our self-made hobbiest drones.
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Nov 09, 2021, 07:34 AM
2k+ is expensive yes... But it's purpose is not to fly like a self made hobbiest drone and that is a good thing.

This is suppose to be the best in its category with the best safety features, great range and cutting edge camera kit, not a backyard slap it together do it yourselfer

Is it worth 2k plus ? I don't know. And i don't have that money.
Nov 09, 2021, 09:47 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Right. It’s really designed to be a business expense and pay for itself. The first Mavic was more consumer oriented, but this one is now leaning more towards low budget commercial use.
Nov 09, 2021, 12:52 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Right. Itís really designed to be a business expense and pay for itself. The first Mavic was more consumer oriented, but this one is now leaning more towards low budget commercial use.
True!
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Nov 09, 2021, 03:58 PM
Got here just now. Think I'm going to order that Tripltek 8 Pro. I want to see how well it works with the iPhone 13 Pro Max first.
Nov 09, 2021, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capgun_Slim
Got here just now. Think I'm going to order that Tripltek 8 Pro. I want to see how well it works with the iPhone 13 Pro Max first.
Mine just came in today too. Here is a couple of photos of it with my Tripltek 8" tablet. This is using the $18 Tripltek 3d printed mount. It's a good snug fit.
Nov 10, 2021, 07:08 AM
Though this is too expensive for me, i would sure be interested to read the differences between the M3 and the M2
Is there such a side by side comparison somewhere ?

For starters i expect the RC and video range to be extended as well as the quality of transmission to be more robust and constant.

Then definitely as always top on the list is failsafe features. did RTH improve ? What does transmission loss failsafe features look like ? Intereference shields and intelligent decision making ? is it robust does it work well ?
What has been done to eliminate fly aways and does it work reliably ? Any redundency built i into transmission of rc and video link.

Camera kit seems decent, sensor kit ?

It seems the range/battery have improved ?
Nov 10, 2021, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axefly
Though this is too expensive for me, i would sure be interested to read the differences between the M3 and the M2
Is there such a side by side comparison somewhere ?

For starters i expect the RC and video range to be extended as well as the quality of transmission to be more robust and constant.

Then definitely as always top on the list is failsafe features. did RTH improve ? What does transmission loss failsafe features look like ? Intereference shields and intelligent decision making ? is it robust does it work well ?
What has been done to eliminate fly aways and does it work reliably ? Any redundency built i into transmission of rc and video link.

Camera kit seems decent, sensor kit ?

It seems the range/battery have improved ?
I don't plan to push the range, I'll leave that for others. Link has been great for me out to 2200'. RTH is completely different. If there is good light & sat signals, the aircraft will come in at an angle to save power. It no longer needs to fly directly over head and then drop down to the ground.

It is much more powerful and agile. This thing moves like it owns the sky. No one will get the 46 minutes because they are going to be streaking across the sky with a huge grin on their faces. I got about 30 minutes of actual flying and shooting, but I covered a lot of distance in that 30 minutes and I landed with 30% remaining. The 3 will stay in the air longer but it will also allow me to get each job done in a few minutes less time. It just get up and down and out to the location so much faster than the M2.

There are many features missing but those are supposed to come out in January.

I do like the new main camera but the upper corners are soft compared to the Mavic 2. The two photos below are upper corner crops from the Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 stills shot at f4. The rest of the frame looks good. The tele camera is not something I will use much for commercial work. I might use it occasionally to check something out before going over to a location to shoot it.

The only time I have had a fly away with a DJI aircraft was the Phantom 4 when the GPS failed and it went into ATTI mode. It was easy to fly it back and land without GPS. I have never had a DJI aircraft just fly off on me and I fly about 10 just a week on average. I have hundreds of flight hours.

The first photo is the M2, the second photo is the M3
Nov 10, 2021, 06:04 PM
RC Mafia: The Hit is on
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
Terrible. The soft corners on the M3 will make stitching panos in Lightroom a real pain in order to avoid weird soft areas in the final image. So we got one optically average and one below average camera in a single housing instead of a single, good one.
Last edited by Burger Thing; Nov 10, 2021 at 07:44 PM.
Nov 10, 2021, 07:40 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
I don't plan to push the range, I'll leave that for others. Link has been great for me out to 2200'. RTH is completely different. If there is good light & sat signals, the aircraft will come in at an angle to save power. It no longer needs to fly directly over head and then drop down to the ground.

It is much more powerful and agile. This thing moves like it owns the sky. No one will get the 46 minutes because they are going to be streaking across the sky with a huge grin on their faces. I got about 30 minutes of actual flying and shooting, but I covered a lot of distance in that 30 minutes and I landed with 30% remaining. The 3 will stay in the air longer but it will also allow me to get each job done in a few minutes less time. It just get up and down and out to the location so much faster than the M2.

There are many features missing but those are supposed to come out in January.

I do like the new main camera but the upper corners are soft compared to the Mavic 2. The two photos below are upper corner crops from the Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 stills shot at f4. The rest of the frame looks good. The tele camera is not something I will use much for commercial work. I might use it occasionally to check something out before going over to a location to shoot it.

The only time I have had a fly away with a DJI aircraft was the Phantom 4 when the GPS failed and it went into ATTI mode. It was easy to fly it back and land without GPS. I have never had a DJI aircraft just fly off on me and I fly about 10 just a week on average. I have hundreds of flight hours.

Thanks for posting the pictures
Nov 11, 2021, 11:41 PM
That sure looks like the setup to have! I still haven't taken mine out yet, but, I looked at the specs of the iPhone 13 Pro Max, in terms of actual screen size, as well as Nits, and they are VERY comparable. As you already know, the Tripltek 8 does 1200 Nits, which is awesome! My iPhone 13 Pro Max, has 1000 Nits, which is very close. It can do 1200 Nits in camera HDR mode, but obviously, it's not possible to get into that mode in normal view. Also, the Tripltek has the 8" screen, and the 13 Pro Max has 6.7".

I figure, I'd rather save the money, and stick with the 13 Pro Max, since I'm only losing 200 Nits, and 1.3" of screen size. If they weren't so close, or if I had an older phone, like the one I just upgraded from, the iPhone X, then I would definitely be getting the Tripltek. Very nice setup!+

Quick Reply