Horizon Hobby Acquires RealFlight Flight Simulator

Horizon Hobby is excited to announce they now own Real Flight...

Splash

Horizon Hobby Now Owns RealFlight

Global radio-control hobby leader purchases industry-leading RC flight software. Champaign, Illinois — Horizon Hobby, LLC (“Horizon Hobby”) has acquired RealFlight, the leading RC flight simulator software, from Knife Edge Software.

Chris Dickerson, CEO of Horizon Hobby said, “Knife Edge Software has built an amazing platform with RealFlight. The Horizon team is excited to continue to enhance the software with next generation features and align our RC airplane offerings so pilots can further explore their passion for flying.”

RealFlight is the leading RC flight simulator in the world. It includes over 170 different aircraft to fly, including aircraft from Horizon Hobby’s E-flite, HobbyZone, Hangar 9, and Blade brands.

Pilots can fly at over 40 different flying sites, including the AMA Headquarters Flying Site and Horizon’s own Eli Field. The software comes packed with amazing features such as its True-to-Life physics, VR compatibility, multiplayer, game-like challenges and the ability to edit both aircraft and flying fields. As a part of the acquisition, Horizon Hobby plans to onboard the RealFlight software development team as employees.

About Knife Edge Software

Knife Edge Software was founded by Scott Kemp in 1996 to establish a new standard in RC simulation software. Jim Bourke purchased the company in 2012 after joining in 2003 to manage operations. Since its release, the flagship RealFlight product has established KES as industry leaders in realism, accuracy, and depth of features. KES actively developed and improved RealFlight for 25 years.

Nov 04, 2021, 04:40 PM
Design Engineer
wait, horizon didn't own realfight already? sure felt like it...

on another note: is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the physics in RF are a bit off?
Nov 04, 2021, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageX89
wait, horizon didn't own realfight already? sure felt like it...

on another note: is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the physics in RF are a bit off?
Well HH fully own it now! I think RF has found a very good home. I've always gotten great service from HH. Hopefully this will help speed up the development of new and better RF versions (including better VR). Time will tell I guess.

I think RF9.5 has very good flight physics for a RC sim, esp. heli's. Never going to be as good as RC at an actual flying field, but handy to help keep your thumbs and fingers muscle memory sharp. Cheers.
Nov 04, 2021, 08:55 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
I suppose the first thing on the list is to update it to the newer directX versions, so it can run on newer hardware.
Nov 04, 2021, 09:14 PM
I can make you go away...
I originally bought version 5.5, and then a year later upgraded to 6.5. I’ve always found that the dynamics in RF were pretty good compared to flying a real RC plane, except the crashes are a lot cheaper!!
In the past week I bought the current 9.5 version (Software only pack) and my 5.5 version controller works perfectly with it.
I also ordered the Spektrum WS2000 USB dongle so I can used my DX8e as well. As far as the flight dynamics in 9.5 go, I really can’t tell much difference between my original version. That’s probably a good thing anyway, because I’ve always found that the RF planes fly pretty close to the way you’d expect the originals to fly.
I’m personally looking forward to new Horizon planes and quicker development windows as Horizon tweak this industry leading package into what we all hope will be an improvement on the current version.
Nov 05, 2021, 03:58 AM
Looking forward to seeing the “smart version”.
Nov 05, 2021, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageX89
In my experience RF feels more realistic compared to Aerofly and Phoenix , except that Phoenix seemed to be the only sim that could make the models woble at low speeds. I for one are hoping that we can get some more engine sounds soon, Im tired of the same sound for all the elctric planes. And they dont have to be realistic, I love flying big planes like the B17 in Aerofly with full scale engine sound.
Nov 05, 2021, 07:38 PM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
I think RF has found a very good home.
PhoenixRC was bought by HH too and guess what... it's been discontinued.

Quote:
Hopefully this will help speed up the development of new and better RF versions.
speed up ? they are on the version 9.5 and some landscapes look as bad as my first sim (FMS)
I believe they will just make more crappy 'foamy' models for the sim, mostly HH stuff.
I don't want to be part of their closed eco-$ystem

Quote:
I think RF9.5 has very good flight physics for a RC sim, esp. heli's.
better than AccuRC ? I doubt so.

Quote:
Never going to be as good as RC at an actual flying field, but handy to help keep your thumbs and fingers muscle memory sharp.
so true, there are amazing pilots out there who have never used RF.
Nov 05, 2021, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreless
PhoenixRC was bought by HH too and guess what... it's been discontinued.

speed up ? they are on the version 9.5 and some landscapes look as bad as my first sim (FMS)
I believe they will just make more crappy 'foamy' models for the sim, mostly HH stuff.
I don't want to be part of their closed eco-$ystem

better than AccuRC ? I doubt so..

PhoenixRC was never owned by HH. They just distributed it while the developer was still in business.

I tried AccuRC for heli's and thought it was terrible, esp. in VR (limited view options). I thought it had a very poor user interface and had a limited stable of heli's. They tried to add planes and these were a disaster. Each to there own I guess. Funny that most of the top heli pilots in the world mainly use RF (just check out YT vids).

RF9.5 has more than enough aircraft that everyone should be able to find something they like and/or can be edited a bit imho. Also heaps of free user generated aircraft on the KE Swap Pages.

Really up to you to decide what RC sim works best for you. For me, I prefer RF9.5 on a 2D monitor (not too bad in VR with my Vive Pro, terrible with Oculus headsets though because colours are very washed out) and Aerofly RC8 for VR (Vive Pro and Quest 2). I enjoy both of these with both 3D planes and 3D heli's.
Nov 05, 2021, 09:48 PM
Really wish they'd make a version compatible with Mac OS without having to go the bootcamp route.
Nov 05, 2021, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974
Really wish they'd make a version compatible with Mac OS without having to go the bootcamp route.
Maybe try Aerofly RC8. Apparently works great with Mac's. No VR though (yet?) and I think you need to download it from the Apple store.
Nov 06, 2021, 04:41 AM
I can make you go away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974
Oh please, thats my wish too!! I have a new M1 Mac mini with 32 inch Samsung curved monitor waiting for the RF Mac version as Bootcamp is not an option on M1 Macs. Parallels may be an option, but I really want a native Mac version instead.
Nov 06, 2021, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_My_ABC
Oh please, thats my wish too!! I have a new M1 Mac mini with 32 inch Samsung curved monitor waiting for the RF Mac version as Bootcamp is not an option on M1 Macs. Parallels may be an option, but I really want a native Mac version instead.
Most Mac users know what they have and its limitations with win10 software. Maybe you missed the memo. lol!
Nov 08, 2021, 12:29 PM
Old newb
Quote:
some landscapes look as bad as my first sim (FMS)
Right, some are crude, not all, and I know my hardware can render much better. You ARE free to create your own.

Quote:
They will. There are MANY more other models freely available to download also. You ARE free to create your own.

Quote:
I don't want to be part of their eco-$ystem.
Then don’t. You ARE free to create your own
Nov 09, 2021, 09:39 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_My_ABC
Hey wait! Isn't your avatar Dexter?

You do know there's a new season on Showtime, right?

Quick Reply