XFly-Model Sirius 80mm EDF Sport Jet PNP

I first became aware of the Xfly-Model Sirius while browsing through the EDF jet threads on RCGroups. I instantly liked the lines of the Sirius but what’s not to like about an old school jet.

Splash

Introduction

XFly-Model Sirius 80mm EDF Sport Jet PNP
Length:1312mm/51.7in
Wingspan:1100mm/43.3in
Weight:2.56kg/5.6lb (review plane 6.05lbs with battery)
Wing Area:23.36dm2
Servos:13g x 5 and 9g x 3/All metal gear
Transmitter:Jeti DS16
Receiver:Jeti REX7
Battery:Recommended battery 6S,22.2V,5000~6000,45C LiPo battery
Motor:Brushless XFly-model 3280 KV2200
ESC:100A Hobbywing ESC
Manufacturer:XFly-Model
Available from:BITGO HOBBY
Price:$399.00

From the instruction manual .... Xfly-Model is proud to release our first sport jet-the 80mm EDF“Sirius”. It features low wing loading, streamlined design, and our Galaxy X-8 12-blade 80mm EDF power system that excels at both high speed and low speed performance. Xfly-Model engineers over the years have been responsible for the design an development of OEM EDF systems in a number of 3rd party aircraft for a number of years. With the release of our first EDF jet“Sirius”we have improved our already proven EDF system into the new Xfly Galaxy-X EDF series, the Sirius is the first EDF jet to feature this new EDF system and is equipped with the Galaxy X-8 80mm EDF. Powered by 6S Li-Po battery, high-RPM brushless inrunner motor and 100A ESC it delivers class leading performance with virtually instantaneous throttle response, excellent top speed, vertical performance and turbine-like sound. The Sirius possesses very stable flight characteristics but is more than capable of most aerobatics when required, meaning it is not only a good choice for the enthusiasts who enjoy high speed or aerobatic flight, but also an excellent trainer EDF jet with fantastic performance.

I first became aware of the Xfly-Model Sirius while browsing through the EDF jet threads on RCGroups. I instantly liked the lines of the Sirius but what’s not to like about an old school jet. For those that might not know, the Sirius looks a lot like a Jet Model Products Firebird which is a proven well-flying design. While I do have a lot of EDF airframes, I have been focusing on flying my turbine jets more recently. With that in mind I skipped purchasing the Sirius at that point to focus on a few of my current turbine projects. Fast forward to the EDF Jet Jam, which is an EDF only jet event hosted by the Rosewood RC Flyers at the Bill Beach Airfield in Elizabeth Indiana. At this event, two Xfly-Model Sirius were flying. My interest was increased as I looked over one of the aircraft in person, but I still needed to hold funds for a couple other projects. On a side note, Spencer Keith won the Best Foam Sport Performance award for his flying of the Xfly-Model Sirius at the EDF Jet Jam. Fast forward one more time … The Sirius was offered for review to the authors at RCGroups and even though I had a completely loaded schedule when this was offered, I jumped at the chance to review this aircraft.

The paragraph at the beginning of this review above is taken from the Xfly-Model instruction manual. They tout the stable flight characteristics and say it’s more than capable of most aerobatics when required. This seems to be a very reasonable statement given the design of the airframe and power system included. They go on to say … "it is not only a good choice for the enthusiasts who enjoys high speed or aerobatic flight, but also an excellent trainer EDF jet with fantastic performance." This one caught me a little off guard. Not the part about high speed or aerobatic flight, but the part about it being an excellent trainer edf jet. I have been flying EDF jets for over 20 years and given the weight and design of this airframe I would be hesitant to think it would be an excellent jet trainer … but that's what reviews are for. Let’s find out if the Xfly-Model Sirius lives up to its billing!

Features

From the manual.

• “Galaxy-X8” 80mm EDF system with high-RPM brushless inrunner motor and 100A ESC deliver fantastic performance with virtually instantaneous throttle response. It has maximum thrust of 3400g and continuous thrust of 3100g to 3200g when being powered by 6S LiPo battery.

• Digital metal-geared servos on all flying surfaces and ball-link equipped link ages deliver precise response to your control inputs.

• Servoless retracts with billet CNC shock-absorbing, trailing-link struts combine for easy grass operation and heavy landing.

• Functional flaps for shorter takeoff and landing plus improved slow-flight performance.

• Integrated wing connector for easy installation or removal of main wing.

• Glueless assembly-only eight screws needed to complete assembly.

• Removable magnetic nose cone and removable ventral fins all fitted with plastic caps for durability.

• Large battery tray allows for up to 6S 6000mAh Li-Po for increased flight times.

Kit Contents

First Impressions

The Sirius arrived in a nice sturdy shipping box that contained the kit box, nothing fascinating here. The kit contents were packed into their precision molded foam cradles inside the shipping box, this was a bit fascinating. Kit manufactures these days all tend to have their kit contents packed well but this seemed to be just a step above and the contents arrived without any foam dings which I can’t say of the last foam airframe I purchased.

Upon inspection of the kit contents, I was impressed with the “quality” of the foam molded components. The foam is dense and smooth. Under the painted portions of the foam parts, it is very hard to actually see the edges of the foam beads unless you get close. The disappointment here is that the white parts of the airframe are not painted so in those sections the foam beads are easily seen and are a bit distracting since the painted sections look so good! The water slide decals are factory applied and I really wish they weren’t. Not that they didn’t do a great job applying them, they did. It’s just that I think the airframe would look better without some of these decals … and although they look like individual decals on the wing, it is one big sheet with all the “star” decals, so the decal background is very obvious in certain light situations. Speaking of the “star” decals … they are actually not stars, but some star-like shape with a tail and are a little odd looking. One other thing to note here. Although the design on the top of the wing is paint, the blue stripe on the bottom of the wings and stabs are self-adhesive decals. Too bad that couldn’t have been paint as well. The paint looks much better.

The other things I noticed immediately were the DB9 connectors for the servos, retracts, and light connections to the wing. It’s nice to have it all on two wing panel connectors and not have to plug in 8 individual devices. One more thing I noticed was the metal inserts for the wing and stab retention via machine screws. Its nice to not have self-tapping screws going into plastic parts for critical functions as some other kits do. I will comment on other components during the assembly, but these are the things that stuck out immediately. I was impressed with the completeness of the sub-assemblies. I knew the assembly process would take little time to complete.

Assembly

Even though most modelers would be able to figure out the assembly of the Sirius easily, the included paper instruction manual still provides easy to follow instruction with clear illustrations.

Main Wing Installation

Before attaching the wing panels, a wing tube spar is inserted into a hole in the wing saddle on the side of the fuselage. The two wing panels are then slid into place on the spar and against the fuselage. Each wing panel is then held in place by two machine screws.

My left wing panel took a little extra force to get it lined up with the DB9 connector and pushed completely up against the fuselage. Even after being firmly pushed all the way up against the fuselage, my left wing panel had a slight gap although that gap doesn’t seem to effect the connections to the electronics in the wing panel.

Horizontal Stabilizer Installation

The horizontal stab is attached in much the same way as the wing. A horizontal stab tube is inserted through the vertical fin in the fuselage. The panels are then slid part way onto the tube and the elevator servo extensions are connected. The instruction manual does not mention connecting the elevator servos to the extensions but it’s not hard to figure out that it needs to be done. The only slightly tricky part here is getting the servo connectors into a small pocket in the fin so that they are out of the way when each stab is pushed into place against the fin. After the stabs are pushed into place, two machine screws hold each of the horizontal stabs on.

Ventral Fin Installation

The ventral fins are held in place with a tab and slot design. The tabs on the fins are aligned with slots on the rear bottom of the fuse and are then pulled back until they “lock” into place.

Nose Cone Installation

The nose cone is simply slid on the front of the fuselage and held in place with magnets. There is not much to mention here except the magnets are not exceptionally strong. They are strong enough to keep the nose cone on in flight but if you grab the plane by the nose and tail to lift it up the nose cone will come off easily (even though there is also a foam support on the fuselage) … and for some reason with this airframe, I found myself trying to lift it partially by the nose.

Canopy

The canopy is held onto the Fuselage with a foam tab at the front and a latch at the back. The latch is mounted in the fuselage. The canopy assembly included a factory installed pilot and a decal for the instrument cluster. The pilot is actually attractive which is more than I can say for most pilots included in foamy jets. The latch is easy to work and the whole canopy assembly attaches firmly to the fuselage. The only issue I had here were a couple of sloppy cuts of the actual canopy that distracts from an otherwise nice assembly.

Receiver installation

The receiver installation is straight forward given that there is a factory installed receiver tray and the provided wiring junction box has all the connectors labeled for each radio function. Although the receiver tray was mounted in my kit, it was loose in its mounting slots. I used medium CA to glue the tray in place. My Jeti receiver is mounted to the tray with double-sided mounting tape.

Control Throws

I followed the suggested control throws from the manual for my dual rates but found that I preferred the low rates for most of my flying time.

Setting the C.G.

I marked my wing with the recommended reward CG of 145mm. I then mounted my Gens Ace 5500mah 60c battery pack and set the Sirius on my balancer. I was surprised at how nose heavy it was. My battery pack weighs 1lb 11.8oz. I then tried the more forward CG mark, and it was still very nose heavy. Although the battery compartment is fairly large, the receiver tray and the wiring box prevented me from sliding the battery back farther to achieve the proper balance. Although I always try to balance a plane without adding weight, I didn’t have any smaller lighter batteries that would work in this, and I was within the “recommended size” battery according to the manual (one part of the manual recommends up to a 5000mah battery and another section says “…battery tray allows for up to 6s 6000mah Li-Po for increased flight times”. I decided to add some weight to balance the airframe but where was I going to put the weight without causing an eyesore or disrupting its performance.

I decided to add weight to the inside of the fan hatch. I could easily hide the weight in there with modifications, and it would also not disrupt performance if done correctly (some might argue that adding any weight to an airframe is disrupting performance, but it will perform much better when balanced properly). I modified the fan hatch to allow weight to be added. The steps are outlined in the pictures provided below.

Power System

Before preparing for a review flight, I always like to get an idea of how much power the review aircraft has. I hooked up my trusty Powerlog wattmeter to my fully charged 60c 5500mah Gens Ace battery and then connected that to the Sirius ESC. I was definitely surprised at what I saw. The power system was pulling 114.96 amps at peak. After about 5 seconds, I was seeing 112.99 amps and after 12 to 15 seconds I was still seeing about 106 amps. The Sirius was pulling great for an 80mm EDF system, but I was a little concerned because the Sirius has a 100amp ESC.

Preparing for Flight

At this point the radio was programmed, the CG was set at the 140mm mark, and the power system had been tested. All that was left to do was get a few good pictures in my photo studio and prepare for its maiden flight.

At the Flying Field

Flying

The time had come for the first flights of the Sirius. There are few good weather opportunities in central Ohio at this time of the year. As soon as the weather broke, I headed to the field with the Sirius, a couple battery packs, and my field charger. Once at the field I put the Sirius together and did a range test. The range test checked out, so it was time for the maiden flight. It was an unusually nice day given the time of year, but there was also a slight cross wind.

Taking off

I taxied the Sirius out to the center of the runway for the first flight. Nothing exciting to note here except that it taxies well, and the nose gear doesn’t wander during taxiing. (No flap for first flight) Once lined up, I slowly advanced the throttle to about half to gain some speed. As it gained speed it did require a slight correction as it drifted during the takeoff roll (there was a light crosswind, and it could have also been runway induced). Once I recorrected the airframe to aim straight down the runway, I punched the throttle and started to slowly feed in some elevator. After maybe 100 feet the Sirius leapt into the air and started an aggressive climb out. The Sirius took off before I thought it would, and given the aggressive climb, I stayed into the power while I started to add in down elevator. The Sirius required quite a bit down elevator to fly level. I began to wonder if I somehow had the CG wrong, but as I began to trim it out it flew well and didn’t fly like a tail-heavy aircraft. Even at the ends of the recommended CG, the Sirius needs about 3mm of down elevator from neutral to fly level. Maybe an incidence issue?

Subsequent takeoffs have proven to be a non-issue. This is an airframe you can punch and go and slowly add in up elevator until it takes off. The second takeoff was much smoother, and the Sirius lifted off without leaping off the runway now that it was trimmed. The third flight I did add in my low-rate flap. It did lift off a little sooner but not by much. At this point I have not had an opportunity to try a full flap takeoff. I will update the review thread as the weather clears again and I get more flights. As of now, I prefer the no flap takeoffs since there isn’t much difference and you can just pull the gear up after takeoff and go.

Landing

I was having so much fun flying the Sirius that I forgot to trim in my flight modes for each of my flap settings during flight. The timer on my transmitter is set for 3:45. When the timer ended, I made one more pass, then climbed out and dropped the landing gear and flaps. When I dropped the flaps to the low rate position the Sirius immediately started to climb. I had to add maybe 13 clicks of down elevator to compensate for the climb (I use flight modes on my transmitter). Since I was flying in a cross wind, I decided to stay with low-rate flaps for the first landing. I brought the Sirius over the end of the runway and started to reduce the throttle. I kept the throttle at about 40 percent until I was about 12 feet over the runway. The wind was buffeting the airframe, so it was a bit of a bumpy ride in. At one point, the left wing dropped a bit and the whole airframe then dropped about 4 feet quickly. I cut the throttle at about 6 feet and slowly started to add in more elevator until it settled in the landing pattern. The buffeting wasn’t as bad near the ground, so the Sirius settled in nicely for a smooth touchdown and roll out.

The second and third landing were more of the same when compared to the first landing. The first and second landing are shown in the review flight video provided. All three of my landings were on the low-rate flap. Given the cross-wind conditions, I should have tried a no flap landing as well but I still wanted a little flap given the buffeting that was also occurring. As can be seen, each of my landings was a bit of a ride on this day. The Sirius seems to be impacted by cross-wind more than some of my other jets … it has a large vertical fin and a lot of side area on the fuse. Luckily the Sirius is very controllable, even at slower speeds so I was able to compensate for the buffeting wind quickly. At this point (three flights) I didn’t have a gyro installed, but I do now and will report on additional flights in the review thread as they happen.

Basic Flight

The Sirius looks good on the ground, but it actually looks better in the air. The nice lines of the Sirius really show up well in flight which also make it easy to track. And to top it all off its flight characteristics match its good looks. The Sirius tracks well, especially at full throttle and has positive control input even at lower speeds. However, the speed must be kept up on landings or it will snap when trying to hold the nose off before touchdown. In turns at lower speeds with flaps down I also noticed a small waggle as the Sirius settles into the landing pattern. The Sirius excels at high-speed yank and bank aerobatics. It responds positively and never feels out of control.

For basic flight I prefer the low-rate transmitter settings which for me translates into smoother flight since I prefer to fly with little expo in my transmitter (15% used for first 3 flights). The high rates were a bit sensitive for my taste (except for rudder). When I have a sleek locked-in quick sport jet in the air I tend to fly it full throttle as much as possible (this works better with turbines :) ) but with the Sirius I tended to mix it up more. As can be seen in the video, I made many slower passes and low flying slower patterns with the Sirius. It looks great on slow flyby and since its easily controlled it is fun to do.

Aerobatic/Special Flight Performance

The Sirius will do basic jet aerobatics, but I wouldn’t classify it as an aerobatic jet. Once trimmed the Sirius had a locked in feel especially at higher speeds so I felt I could push the airframe without issue. The first thing I tried was inverted flight. Given the amount of down trim needed for regular flight I wanted to try some inverted climbs and dives to see how the airframe reacted. The Sirius does need a bit of down elevator to fly inverted but not an excessive amount which leads me to believe the CG is close to being ideal (I will experiment with different CG’s in the future and report back in the review thread). Once inverted and held level with the elevator, the Sirius flies well without having the wing rock some airframes have while inverted. Given the Sirius’s solid wing retention system (wing tube and machine screws) I felt comfortable pulling hard in and out of maneuvers and didn’t really notice any wing flex. The stab does have some flex in it compared to the wing, but I don’t see it impacting flight at these speeds.

Knife edge flight with the Sirius is fairly easily accomplished, especially at high speed but it does require some elevator correction to stay straight. The Sirius has a good amount of side area which helps in knife edge. If you have seen the flight video, you will notice I like to do point rolls with the Sirius. It does 4-point rolls well. It has a nice locked in feel and doesn’t over rotate when stopping at each point in the roll. It will also do slow rolls well, but it will need elevator and rudder correction in every plane if you want to keep it level. I also like to do the easier climbing slow roll and let it fall out slightly during the maneuver. It’s much easier to do since correction is not needed.

Loops with the Sirius can be fairly large. I just needed to be aware of my power and flight speed to close in the loop at the top before the airframe became to slow. Smaller tighter loops are easily accomplished and show no wing rock even when pulling tight. I will admit I didn’t try this on high rate which could have had a different outcome. I don’t usually do many or any plain loops in a normal non-review flight routine. On high-rate rudder, stall turns are easily executed. Unlike a prop plane, you just need to keep a little speed at the top, so the rudder is effective. Once back on the downline, the Sirius does have a little waggle after doing a stall turn but it smooths out rather quickly. I did try a couple jet snaps at lower speed and the Sirius will do them, but they are not as graceful as prop planes or even most aerobatic jets but that’s not what the Sirius is all about. The Sirius performs most basic maneuvers with ease as noted above including cuban eights, reverse half Cuban eight, split-S's, and Immelmans.... etc

Is this for a beginner?

The Sirius is not for a beginner. I wouldn't consider it an EDF jet trainer either. The Sirius would be a great second EDF jet after a pilot has mastered a true EDF trainer jet.

Flight Video Gallery

The video below is of the first and second flights of the Sirius. These flights are without gyro. The Sirius now has a Jeti REX7A gyro receiver installed but I have not had a chance to fly with the gyro yet due to the weather conditions this time of year in Central Ohio.

XFly-model Sirius 80mm EDF Sport Jet PNP (7 min 6 sec)

Conclusion

Let’s go back and look at what Xfly-Model claimed in the manual about the Sirius … “… The Sirius possesses very stable flight characteristics but is more than capable of most aerobatics when required, meaning it is not only a good choice for the enthusiasts who enjoy high speed or aerobatic flight, but also an excellent trainer EDF jet with fantastic performance”. They won’t get much argument from me. The Sirius does possess very stable flight characteristics, especially at medium to high speed and does have good performance for this segment. The Sirius will become less stable at slow speeds but that is to be expected with a swept wing jet. The Sirius is also capable of most jet style aerobatics as stated but will be a little less precise in those maneuvers than say an Avanti which is designed more for that kind of stuff. Is the Sirius an excellent EDF jet trainer? Well, here is where I would disagree. The Sirius isn’t exactly an excellent EDF jet trainer given its wing loading and flight characteristics. Don’t get me wrong, the Sirius flies really well but it doesn’t have the flying characteristics and forgiveness needed to be an EDF jet trainer. Yes, I realize that they say trainer EDF jet and not just trainer, but still no. Having said all that, I could see the Sirius being that second sport jet after mastering something like a Habu or even Avanti. The Sirius fills a spot in my hanger as a fun yank and bank EDF sport jet that flies great. Its ease of assembly at the field and flight characteristics ensure that it will see much more flight time in the not-too-distant future … and I look forward to it!

Pluses:

• Overall appearance. The Sirius looks good with classic sport jet lines.
  • Great flight characteristics. The Sirius tracks well and has a locked in feel during high-speed flight. The Sirius sounds great in flight.
  • The airframe has a high level of prefabricated parts. Build time is minimal. No glue necessary.
  • Fit and Finish. Overall part fit is very good with only one small issue with the left wing panel. The foam is very smooth, and the painted surfaces look good. This scheme is fairly easy to see in flight.
  • DB9 connectors used for wing to fuse electronics connections simplifies wing attachment and makes assembly easy.
  • Electric retracts with metal trunions and metal suspension struts.
  • Decent sized battery bay and factory installed plywood receiver mount.
  • Machine screws used for wing and stab attachment into metal insert nuts. A nice improvement over kits that use self-tapping screws into plastic.
  • For those that prefer factory applied decals, they are applied very well. The decals are of the water transfer variety.
  • Factory installed wing tip lights. Although it would be nice if they were a little brighter.

Neutral:

• The Sirius requires down elevator trim to fly level even when balanced at either end of the recommended CG.
  • More power and speed would be nice. Many will find the stock speed to be fine, while those that have a little more experience with EDF jets might want a little more speed ... understanding that a little more power would also cut into the flight time.
  • It would be nice if the battery tray and multifunction box were further back into the cockpit opening to allow batteries to be moved further back on the battery tray to help achieve proper CG.
  • The main wheels and main strut doors hang down slightly from the wing bottom surface.
  • The airframe does a bit of a Sabre dance during slower speed flight, more noticeable in turns. At this point I have not tried a gyro on this airframe.
  • With flaps down during landing the airframe has a tendency to waggle during landing. Cross wind seems to impact landings on this airframe more than a few of my other sport jet airframes.
  • This airframe likes to land a little faster than most of my other sport jets.

Minuses:

• Factory installed decals. I would much prefer to install the decals myself, or in this case choose to leave them off.
  • The blue design on the bottom of the wings and stabs are self-adhesive decals which are slightly lifted in some places. It would have been much better if these were painted like the top of the wings and stabs.
  • The white sections of the airframe are not painted. These sections show the foam beads well which looks a little odd compared to the very smooth well painted surfaces.
  • Although the DBV9 connector is noted in the positives, I will also note it here as well for a different reason. The DB9 in the wing is wired with a common ground and common power for all servos in each panel ... the the signal wires are separate. I realize this has become more common but it can also present issues if there are any problems with servos. Also, if for some reason you have a single bad pin connection it can impact all servos at once.

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jan 04, 2022 at 10:00 AM..
Jan 04, 2022, 11:03 PM
Nice job Kevin!
Jan 05, 2022, 09:44 AM
An airplane will weather-vane into the wind on take off roll. It looks like the crosswind was from the right side. Nice jet.
Jan 05, 2022, 11:10 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
The “stars” on the wings are, indeed, appropriate as they are the accepted symbol for the star name Sirius. It is approximately twice the size of our sun, and is often the brightest star in the sky.

I would get some white 5 pointed stars to place over them…and you’d have the jet version of the P-51 “Miss America”.

I do understand that the white stars should be on the blue field … but it would still be cool.

RF
Jan 06, 2022, 08:57 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Very thoughtful and thorough review. Looks like a great foam sport jet that can satisfy even the most discriminating modeler.
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Jan 06, 2022, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
Understood. I wasn't too clear with what I was trying to say there. They just look odd with the long tails....and when I see them it just reminds me this style of guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flyer
The “stars” on the wings are, indeed, appropriate as they are the accepted symbol for the star name Sirius. It is approximately twice the size of our sun, and is often the brightest star in the sky.

I would get some white 5 pointed stars to place over them…and you’d have the jet version of the P-51 “Miss America”.

I do understand that the white stars should be on the blue field … but it would still be cool.

RF
Jan 07, 2022, 08:22 PM
This is an excellent review .Having recently bought and flown our first EDF , the Sirius , there are four points in your neutral summary that mirror our experience. The first is :

"It would be nice if the battery tray and multifunction box were further back into the cockpit opening to allow batteries to be moved further back on the battery tray to help achieve proper CG."

Totally concur. Particularly with heavy batteries its difficult to balance the aircraft at the forwardmost 140mm mark without adding weight to the tail

Second:
The main wheels and main strut doors hang down slightly from the wing bottom surface.

As they do in our Sirius . And its not easy to correct this. Whilst it may be a small point ,the annoyance is that the protrusion of the strut door faces forward as it does in your photo. It acts I imagine as a bit of an airbrake. Given the hight standard of finish of the Sirius otherwise , it is mildly irritating .

Third ; The airframe does a bit of a Sabre dance during slower speed flight, more noticeable in turns.

This is our experience too.

Fourth. : At this point I have not tried a gyro on this airframe.

We have , using a FrSky , S6R . Its a work in progress . For now flying with no compensation in sub 10 knot winds yields excellent control of the aircraft . We have 30% expo on aileron and elevator for this.

Finally:
With flaps down during landing the airframe has a tendency to waggle during landing. Totally agree .

I would also add that the landing gear is more sturdy than on other more expensive ARF we have in our hangar . On a less than smooth grass runway , with several less than inspired landings , the Sirius retracts have held up very well.

As with all reviewers who take the time to write such detailed and comprehensive accounts , thank you Kevin for taking the time , and look forward to the next one
Jan 07, 2022, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
Onaboat,

Thank you for the kind words and feedback. My reviews tend to be a little longer than most and I often wonder if people just rush past the details to just look at pics and videos. Glad to see people still like the details. I have been doing RCG reviews for over 20 years ( cant believe that) and still enjoy looking at the pros and cons of new offerings and giving details so modelers can hopefully make more informed decisions.
Jan 07, 2022, 10:35 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
The stars do look like that guitar!

And I agree, great article/review.

RF
Jan 08, 2022, 12:49 AM
The looks of this EDF are great, and it does also remind me of flying the Firebird years ago. The Firebird had a heavy wing loading, IIRC, but it was as fast as a missile!

I was very interested in the jet till I saw the video and the cheater hole. I would have thought the factory with their knowledge of EDF design could have designed the intake size and shape to avoid adding a cheater hole that not only looks terrible but also sucks a lof of debris causing FOD.

The main wheels sticking out like that is a not acceptable in my book.

I'm looking for another hi performance EDF in the 80mm-90mm size and I was hoping this would do it, it reminded me of the good old Firebird...

I hope the factory will address some of these issues to increase their acceptance. Good job overall and understand these are my personal thoughts.

Thx for the review, it helped me a lot,
Jan 08, 2022, 05:27 AM
Sam , I can't say there are better offerings in this class , since this is the only EDF in our hangar.

But the gear , strut cover protrusion thing doesn't seem to affect its flying performance . Having said that might it fly even better if that part of the wing had a smoother profile
Its a very Interesting point you make about the sucking in of debris . Would it be reasonable to fit a mesh of some sort to act as a filter ?
Jan 08, 2022, 01:31 PM
Futura is a bit torn up from our former gravel runway and sold my Avanti. Was gonna buy another Avanti but I grabbed this instead. Looks awesome and nobody else here will have it for sure.
Jan 08, 2022, 05:42 PM
Great review Kevin!
Jan 11, 2022, 03:38 PM
Kevin,
Thank you for the very nice review and excellent article. I appreciated your including the added weight to the hatch for proper balance for the c of g. It sure appears you obtained the best balance and control for flight. Nice work and thanks again. See you at the field.
Bob

Quick Reply