Nov 01, 2021, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Trouble shooting Hitec Servo

Greetings. I'm trying to help out a friend. He has a mechanical device that has a moving part controlled by a megaquarter scale Hitec HS-805MG servo and a Servocity 4 channel servo recorder. The controller just uses one channel.

Its not working. it was connected to a 12V supply by mistake and we are not sure which bit or bits are dead. I don't have another controller but I have some experience with arduino devices and i was wondering if this servo can be controlled with an arduino. If someone has code that would be amazing. I'm starting to cobble together something that operates little servo's with a hope that it might work.

When I connected 6V to the servo it ran smoothly and appears to have gone back to a zero position. I'm hoping its ok. However when we connect it to the servo controller with 6V things seems to get hot at the controller end.

I've looked at the output of the controller on my oscilloscope and it generates a signal but its not a square wave as I expected.

I was wondering if one of the smart and clever folks here might be able to point me in a direction that could resolve this issue.

My gut feeling is that the servo could be working but the controller has departed this world.

I'm also wondering what the device is at the back of the large cog. It has three wires going into it. I'm assuming that its some sort of feedback device that tells the servo where it is. However i'll be guided by folks here.

I've attached a few pictures of the device.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2021, 09:18 PM
You have most likely toasted the servo electronics with 12 volts.

That servo series is not even rated for operation on 2 cell lipos 8.4 volts.

Run them on 6 volts 5 NiCad / NIMH and they will last forever.

The three wires are either going to the motor or the feedback / position pot.

Quick Reply