Apr 29, 2002, 12:23 PM
ParkScaleModels

Vacuum forming Fan-Fold

Has anyone attepted to vacuum from fan-fold? I got a peice of 1/2" owens-corning (pink) fan-fold, put it in the over at 225 degrees for about 4-5 minutes. It got soft enough that I could bend it, and when it cooled, it was pretty rigid.

Has anyone else experimented with this?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2002, 12:45 PM
Plane dodger
Great for making wings. Alot of the guys in the fanfold thread have info as to how they "bake" the wings. Worth checking out. Good luck
Apr 29, 2002, 12:46 PM
The effect is sadly temporary

Well almost...

I've build a jig that goes in the oven. Basically I'm forming the foam to the shape first, and then heating it till it's soft to "set" it.

I've been having very good luck with that. I have tried to vacuum form the foam on my regular vacuum form machine, but I wasn't able to control the temperature well enough. I'm not sure how you could do it without putting the entire former and all inside the oven where the heat is even. Let me know if you come up with anything.

-Dan
Apr 29, 2002, 12:57 PM
I haven't tried this yet either, but its seems to me that it shouldn't be that difficult. I've done quite a bit of vacuum forming lately (canopies, etc.), and feel I've gotten pretty good at it. I've even thought of using my hot wire foam cutter to cut 1/8" ~ 1/4" blanks from blue/pink foam, mount it up in my aluminum frame, heat it up and give it a try...I'll have more time this summer to play around with that stuff. I'm including a link to my vacuum bed page for what its worth. Good luck!

-Mike

vacuum bed construction
Apr 29, 2002, 11:23 PM
EB-66C Team Member
To cut your 1/8", 1/4" etc, just take right size music wire or steel rod and cut 2 lengths needed, epoxy on a board parallel to each other at desired width. Just run hot wire over these to cut thicknesses. Works great.