Scratch-built (meat trays) Parkflyer flies! - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jun 14, 2001, 11:10 PM
Registered User

Scratch-built (meat trays) Parkflyer flies!

After about 2 weeks of building an hour here and an hour there, I finally flew my scratch parkflyer. I have had very limited stick-time on the plane, but no breaks yet. I see allot of potential here. The wings are made from 1/8" depron meat trays, thus the plane inhereted the name "Meat-Stik". Fuse is carbon-tube, as are the two spars for the wing. The rudder and elevator are also "sparred" with 1/32 carbon-rod. I have about 60 pictures detailing the process from start to finish. Here are a few.

The start:

The wing:

The airframe:

The control surfaces (single-pull system):

The finished product!:

It has about a 32" wingspan, with a 10" chord. The airfoil is 3/4" undercamber at center section that flattens out towards the tips. Total length is 28". I built this as a next step from your typical lite-stik type parkflyer. It looks to be about twice as fast, and quite responsive (I am going to lessen the control surface throws on my next flight). All construction is scratch. The only thing that I "stole" from another plane was the lite-stik landing gear. Rolling takeoff from pavement is cake. Power comes from an Astro-010. All up weight is 9.50 ounces. Pack used is a 7x270Mah cordless-phone home-brew pack.


[This message has been edited by pullin-gs (edited 06-15-2001).]
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2001, 11:18 PM
Registered User
You will have to excuse my ignorance......But what is a "meat tray?"
Just wondering!
Looks great though!
Boone Peaboy
Jun 15, 2001, 12:19 AM
Registered User
Check this out...

eat trays are the Depron foam trays that you get under your ground beef and chicken.
Jun 15, 2001, 08:20 AM
Registered User
What is a "meat tray" you ask?
All I can think of is that it is a meat tray. What do other people call those foam packing pieces that butchers use to pack meat intended for display/sale in the "meat section" of a grocery store? Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words....see below. It is the top item in the picture.

Jun 15, 2001, 09:33 AM
Registered User
I've never actually used the term for those things in an actual conversation! I've never held one in my hand long enough to call it anything.... just enough to get it to the trash!!!
Sounds like a good Idea though! The plane really looks great!

Jun 15, 2001, 11:13 AM
Registered User
BOONE!----You need to spend more time in the kitchen! To FUNNY!

And I'm going to let you fly the TOW plane PULLING my MHLG!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Rust (edited 06-15-2001).]
Jun 15, 2001, 11:33 AM
Strange Plane Central
frankenfoamy's Avatar
Flat plate airfoil I mean flat tray airfoil.

Have you tried tying a thread from the leading edge to trailing edge to induce some chamber?
Jun 15, 2001, 02:01 PM
I am M I G H T Y !
Steve Wrona's Avatar
I say, Pullin'!
Smashing Ye Olde Plane Building Shoppe you have there! Also like the weight/heat gun wing shaping system!

"Keep it up!"
Jun 15, 2001, 02:02 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
JACKPOT!! BINGO!!! Whatever

Went to BJ's wholesale and got a dozen meat trays from the meat department for free. What nice guys!! They have a useable bottom area of 14" by 11". Thanks for pointing out that Depron is meat tray plastic. I've been wanting to build the Double Fun.
It's in the April 01 issue of Model Flyer.
Designed by Michael Hendrikson (epilot)
Uses a Pot2 motor, wingspan - 20".

[This message has been edited by hoppy (edited 06-15-2001).]
Jun 15, 2001, 04:11 PM
Should it be doing that?
Awesome!!! I almost wet myself laughing so hard about the name!
I've seen / read about so many ' - stick' planes. The name is perfect.
I also like the name of that one in the linked picture called 'Beefy Boy'!


Now you need a picture of a package of meat with a 'From this...' caption, then a picture of the airplane with a caption of 'to this!'
Jun 15, 2001, 05:24 PM
Super Senior Member
Now you can call your flying buddies and say

"Meat me at the field"

......ok, maybe not
Jun 15, 2001, 06:35 PM
Registered User
Jun 15, 2001, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Beefy Boy... (Beef meat trays???)
Jun 15, 2001, 08:55 PM
Registered User
Pardon the newbie ignorance, but what is a pull-pull (Single pull) system?

Also, are the graphite rods on the "Meat Stik" taped to the leading edge of the wing or glued?

Jun 15, 2001, 09:56 PM
Registered User
Pull-pull uses two lines from the servo to the control surface. One line connects to one side and the other line connects to the opposing side. I use Spider-Wire (fishing line) for my pull-pull systems.