Insta360 GO 2 USB Power Mount Mini Review

We mount the Insta360 GO 2 USB Power Mount on a Drone to see how the footage looks.

Splash

What Is It?

This is a brand new mount for the Insta360 GO 2 camera that costs $19.99. It positions the camera horizontally and allows for USB charging while in the mount as well as direct file transfer to a computer. It looks to be pretty useful, but how does it work on drones? I wanted to find out so Insta360 sent me one to test.

What's in the Box

• USB Power Mount
  • USB Type C Charging Cable
  • User Guide

First Look

The mount is well made and has a couple of features I did not expect that show the thought and attention to detail that Insta360 put in on this mount. The first one is a retaining clip. The GO 2 does magnetically snap into place inside the mount, but the magnets are not strong enough to prevent the camera from flying out of the mount during a drone crash. The retaining clip easily snaps over the camera and keeps it secure so you don't have to go searching for your camera anymore after a mishap. The 2nd feature is the cooling holes on the back of the mount. The camera heats up pretty quickly when not flying so the cooling vents will help dissipate some heat.

Other notable features include a traditional action cam mounting system and of course the USB C port on the left side of the mount. If you need more run time than the camera alone, you can wire in power from your drone and get all the power you need externally to keep the camera running. The USB port is also nice if you'd rather skip the wireless transfer to your phone and go directly to your computer to get started editing quickly.

Flight Video

Conclusion

The real question for me was, is this useful for drones and will it cause some jello in the footage? The answer is yes and well yes. I really like mounting the camera horizontally instead of the vertical mount I was using before. It makes the footprint that much smaller which is great for extra headroom when flying through tight spaces. Did it cause some jello in the footage? Yes. I don't think it's inherent to the mount, but I did get some jello in my footage. That can be caused by a number of different things including the props being out of balance or the mounting base transferring vibrations up to the mount. There are ways to isolate the mount to eliminate any jello you might get in your video so I'm not concerned and will try a few things to help with that. For $20, I think the USB Power Mount is a no brainer for GO 2 Camera owners.

Link

Check out the Insta360 GO 2 USB Power Mount Here

Last edited by Jason Cole; Oct 29, 2021 at 09:39 AM..
Oct 29, 2021, 10:18 PM
oh nice! will get one now!
Nov 08, 2021, 03:28 PM
Life is a breeze,easterly
This is a great accessory however I would much prefer, or also have, something similar to Caddx Peanut. Just a magnetic plate with just power cables attached which can be powered from a fc or bec. Having to use usb-C cable makes it unnecessarily clumsy. Most fpv users already have suitable mounts.

Quick Reply