Oct 22, 2021, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Altezza

Ok, well...it's crisp air and the maples leaves are going scarlet - it's the start of build season. Altezza is on my build board. I fear that I'm not too great a build logs, but the good news is this'll be a "live" progression and I'll try to be detailed. The kit is really impressive laser cutting - most 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle model I've every attempted and have found that punching out the bits & pieces is really satisfying even with the sooty black fingers from all the laser burns. I have a feeling the German RES kits provide a similar satisfaction: never built one of those, tho. I don't reckon I'll even really need an xacto knife on this. Below is a couple of shots mid-way thru the extremely satisfying punching process: gotta little pile of wing parts and and pile of other stuff. Actually didn't get a wing plan with this but I'm so eager to start I may just go for it, anyhow. I may "wing-it". Looks like the parts for the wing key together so precisely it's doable by referencing other builds. For the added challenge and added entertainment value: "look Ma, no plans". We'll start with the fuse and empennage and go from there - maybe see about a wing plan. Anyhow- so it begins.

I was happy to see that motor bulkhead was provided so will go electric. Here's some info from the plans on what to expect:
100" span
49.5" lenght
880 square inch wing area
expected weight 46-52 oz
I think I read somewhere that foil is s3021(modified) but someone may have to chime in on that.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2021, 12:30 PM

Good luck with the build log!

Have no fear; it's all fun. I wanted to see the finished product, already, and I never heard of this design, so I looked at the website--looks great.

I will be following your build some, because this plane is almost exactly like my just-finished Sailjan 21 design in terms of span (both 100"), area (Sailjan 21 is 885 sq. in) and weight (Sailjan 21 is 45.9 oz).
Oct 22, 2021, 10:56 PM
Following with interest!! The Carolina stuff seems great and maybe undermarketed. Hopefully this build log not only helps others to build one, but also helps the company to prosper. Itís tough to run a small business like this and if we donít support them, then our choices as builders will diminish.

I can see one of these heading down under at some stage.
Oct 23, 2021, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Thanks gents! Yeah, the Altezza is by Mark Ackerman of Carolina Custom Kits https://carolinacustomkits.com/. US manufacturer. Really precision laser cut parts - everything just fits together.

The Altezza does have pretty similar specs to the Sailjan - must be sailplane brothers from another mother. Love the wing shape & "v" tail.
Last edited by USKP01261; Oct 24, 2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Oct 23, 2021, 09:15 AM
Thread OP

V-stab

Here's some progress from yesterday afternoon/evening on the vertical stabilizer and rudder. The way the parts fit together have opted for mostly CA at joints.

It's a kinda rainy day here today - perfect for building weather. I plan to OD on coffee and get after it.
Oct 23, 2021, 02:04 PM
Looking great so far!!
Oct 23, 2021, 09:59 PM
I just want to go fly!
I have this kit too. Thinking about building her soon but the lack of instructions makes me nervous. I appreciate the pictures.
Oct 23, 2021, 10:17 PM
Walt
Iíll give ya $50 for it.
Oct 24, 2021, 09:00 AM
Thread OP

Full Flying Stab (H-stab)

The minimal amount of measure-measure-cut, measure-recut on this kit means it's a speedy build. I almost feel like it's building too fast- I'm gonna have to find something else to build this Fall if I don't slow down. Yesterday, finished out the empennage. Here we have the H-stab/full flying stab. Couple notes: put 1/8" wheel collars on the 1/8" x 0.014 brass tube and drilled a little hole for the set screw...also put a little piece of scrap balsa over pre-cut notch for the brass tube.
Oct 24, 2021, 09:18 AM
Thread OP

V-stab control rod

After the H-stab moved back to the V-stab get 'er all sheeted up and install the the control rod. Make ya a tiny wooden door for the ball link's cozy home in the tail.
Oct 24, 2021, 10:00 AM

Looks fast and strong

Lasers certainly open up the possibilities. Is it conveniently possible for you to weigh and post the total weight of the uncovered V-stab, rudder and H-stab?
Oct 24, 2021, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickk Miller
Lasers certainly open up the possibilities. Is it conveniently possible for you to weigh and post the total weight of the uncovered V-stab, rudder and H-stab?
Sure thing - no problem. The vertical stabilizer is already mounted (doing some fuse work today/mounting the control rods and whatnot) so missed the weigh-in on that one (we'll just say that it was surprising light ). Rudder =0.5oz and H-stab w/o rods = 1.7 oz...before any sanding. The good news is I don't know weather that's good or bad for this particular airframe. Certainly seem stout construction.
Oct 24, 2021, 01:03 PM
Thatís coming together fast and looks great!!
Oct 24, 2021, 01:17 PM

Tail weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by USKP01261
Sure thing - no problem. Rudder =0.5oz and H-stab w/o rods = 1.7 oz...before any sanding. The good news is I don't know weather that's good or bad for this particular airframe. Certainly seem stout construction.
Thanks for weighing the tail for me (I was really only trying to help you by slowing you down---you said you were going too fast)

Actually, I wanted to see how they compared to my V-tail, which probably is not as strong. My V-tail with covering and hinges was 2.7 oz., covered with Parklite, and I believed afterward that I could have and should have made it a little lighter, because I needed nose weight in the plane.

Is your tail weight good or bad for the airframe?:
Let's say your V-stab is something like 0.8 oz., or about half the H-stab. Then the total weight of your tail would be 0.8 + 0.5 + 1.7 = 3 oz. Covering won't add much. I would say your tail could be a little lighter, but is fine for the model, particularly since it's a proven design and you likely won't have to account for it with nose weight, like I had to.
Oct 24, 2021, 03:07 PM
The weights are un sanded. I would expect them to come down a bit when complete.
Tail weight is always something these older designs are sensitive too. They where designed around older bulky radio gear which we clearly wouldnít use today. The older foils seem to like some weight though. Built too light and flown too slow they are not pleasant at all generally. Having said that, GlidermanG built a sagitta last year thatís pretty light and seems to fly well. Thereís a build log in thermal section.

Quick Reply