Oct 21, 2021, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Any slope fliers in Reno, NV?

Hello: I am getting back into slope soaring after a 15 year absence after leaving Sonoma County CA for the flatlands of Ohio. I now live in Reno and see lots of potential sites around my home but wonder if there are any that are frequented often. I bought a swift 60" foamie sloper. I am not comfortable with these rocks and hope there may be some sites around here with gentle landing zones as I have some classic composite planes from the 90's - falcon 880, Laser 3meter, scratch built 60" sloper, and a hobby hawk. Thanks. Walter
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2021, 06:56 PM
auto-tune remix
I flew at a spot at Geiger grade on Hwy 341 that had some incredible lift- my 60" Zipper was making noises I'd never heard it make before. Just huge air.

Landings were full-on sketchy. I threaded the Zipper through a big pine tree on landing , the wings and fuse slid down the highway. I'd say it was a foam-only spot.

Down below that spot there's a look-out spot that looked promising as well. 90 degree flaps would make life much easier.

I've also heard of RedRocks near Stead AFB.
Last edited by slopemeno; Oct 21, 2021 at 07:34 PM.
Oct 21, 2021, 07:31 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Walter,

I live north of you (Boise) but I'm fairly certain your terrain is like ours, rocks, sage and more rocks.

That's why I fly EPP gliders exclusively. EPP gliders have come a long way in performance since the early days of DAW combat foamies.

I believe 1000mph (RCG handle) resides in your area. He is an outstanding builder and pilot. Hopefully you can hook up with him.

Once you get established with the locals, I would love to come down there some weekend and fly.

Also, Jack with Leading Edge Gliders told me there's a killer slope down around Carson City.

Ken
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 21, 2021 at 07:38 PM.
Oct 21, 2021, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
I flew at a spot at Geiger grade on Hwy 341 that had some incredible lift- my 60" Zipper was making noises I'd never heard it make before. Just huge air.

Landings were full-on sketchy. I threaded the Zipper through a big pine tree on landing , the wings and fuse slid down the highway. I'd say it was a foam-only spot.

Down below that spot there's a look-out spot that looked promising as well. 90 degree flaps would make life much easier.

I've also heard of RedRocks near Stead AFB.
Thanks for that info. Sounds like what I did 35 years ago I am a senior citizen now and can't be climbing trees and hiking like I did in my younger slope days. I use to fetch planes for the older guys and now I am the older guy. I am owner/operator of a pizzeria with my senior citizen wife and can't risk injuring myself. So now am looking for gentle sites with easy access - got 2 new hips and a bum knee............
Oct 21, 2021, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Walter,

I live north of you (Boise) but I'm fairly certain your terrain is like ours, rocks, sage and more rocks.

That's why I fly EPP gliders exclusively. EPP gliders have come a long way in performance since the early days of DAW combat foamies.

I believe 1000mph (RCG handle) resides in your area. He is an outstanding builder and pilot. Hopefully you can hook up with him.

Once you get established with the locals, I would love to come down there some weekend and fly.

Also, Jack with Leading Edge Gliders told me there's a killer slope down around Carson City.

Ken
Ken: I hope posting here will connect me with some locals. These BLM roads are too much for me as I don't have 4wd . I know foamies have come a long way but they still don't fly like my composite ships but I think that will be my thing as I don't want to wreck my nice planes. I got spoiled flying some of the best slopes in the country in Sonoma County.
Oct 22, 2021, 01:37 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Hey Walter, there are not too many folks left who fly slope in the area.
I’m spoiled too coming from SoCal and I prefer to keep my planes in good shape for trips down there, but I’ll venture out up hereonce in awhile. .
Lots of potential places to fly around here if you don’t mind the rocks or the hiking, and yes, they usually require 4wd or high clearance to drive there.
Today we’ve got 40mph winds from the South so I would probably head down to Goni rd in Carson City. That spot is drive n fly and accessible with a 2wd vehicle.

https://goo.gl/maps/5LbJrdyQgCVoGw1w7

My top three are these:
Hidden Valley above Pembroke/man o war - needs West wind. great frontside and DS, poor landing unless you want to walk a little.

McClellan Peak old hangglider launch (this is my avatar) summer spot for prevailing West winds. Monster lift, good landing, 4WD and hike required.

Goni Rd upper. Monster lift, hike , poor LZ.

There’s also Red Rocks overlooking Cold Springs, it was the most popular spot around here, especially in the summer with decent lift and slightly better LZ. 4WD access recommended.

Shoot me a PM with your phone number if you want me to bore you with Reno flying stories.
Last edited by 1000MPH; Oct 22, 2021 at 01:46 PM.
Oct 22, 2021, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Hey Walter, there are not too many folks left who fly slope in the area.
I’m spoiled too coming from SoCal and I prefer to keep my planes in good shape for trips down there, but I’ll venture out up hereonce in awhile. .
Lots of potential places to fly around here if you don’t mind the rocks or the hiking, and yes, they usually require 4wd or high clearance to drive there.
Today we’ve got 40mph winds from the South so I would probably head down to Goni rd in Carson City. That spot is drive n fly and accessible with a 2wd vehicle.

https://goo.gl/maps/5LbJrdyQgCVoGw1w7

My top three are these:
Hidden Valley above Pembroke/man o war - needs West wind. great frontside and DS, poor landing unless you want to walk a little.

McClellan Peak old hangglider launch (this is my avatar) summer spot for prevailing West winds. Monster lift, good landing, 4WD and hike required.

Goni Rd upper. Monster lift, hike , poor LZ.

There’s also Red Rocks overlooking Cold Springs, it was the most popular spot around here, especially in the summer with decent lift and slightly better LZ. 4WD access recommended.

Shoot me a PM with your phone number if you want me to bore you with Reno flying stories.
Thanks for reaching out! I sent you a message. Walter
Oct 24, 2021, 02:46 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Looks like some awesome sites. Gonie rd is the slope Jack recommended to me.
Oct 24, 2021, 09:34 AM
Jack and I flew a lot of hills in and around Carson. You keep going out and sometimes you get lucky.
I guess I should start a running list.
Latest blog entry: JW48 - Lightweight DS Build
Oct 24, 2021, 10:03 AM
That thing almost hit me
Zulu Ridge
Sierra Silent Soarers http://www.sierrasilentsoarers.com/

Jan 16, 2022, 10:22 AM
I have just moved to Carson City, thanks for all the info guys!
Now to settle into new job/place and build up my EPP fleet again...

Grant
Jan 16, 2022, 12:08 PM
Cool Grant, I’ll post here next time we make a plan.
Jan 16, 2022, 12:15 PM
That thing almost hit me
There's a few spots on Goni Rd to fly from.
Jan 16, 2022, 12:31 PM
Ya, I took the gang up to the lower South facing spot a few weeks ago. It’s a good Winter spot to get your flying fix.
Jan 16, 2022, 01:16 PM
That thing almost hit me
I've flown off the road at the red lava quarry too.

Quick Reply