The ALL-NEW Hangar 9 P-47 Thunderbolt 58.4" PNP - Easily transition from foam to wood

For the sport and club pilot looking to transition from foam to wood warbird aircraft.

Splash

Hangar 9 P-47 Thunderbolt

The new Hangar 9® Fun Scale P-47 Thunderbolt delivers a Plug-N-Play® (PNP) replica of one of the most popular WWII warbirds ever.r

Hangar 9 brings one of the most popular warbirds ever to market in a Plug-N-Play® (PNP) version designed for sport and warbird pilots looking to transition from foam to wood models. The new Hangar 9® Fun Scale P-47 Thunderbolt PNP makes it easy to get flying and to look good doing it!

See more info below and on the product page: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...4/HAN3380.html

Introduction

Foam RC pilots will be familiar with the brushless outrunner power system compatible with a wide variety of 4S to 6S batteries, and easy final assembly, while the all-wood airframe is finished in genuine UltraCote® that's long lasting and easy to maintain.

Overview

The Hangar 9® Fun Scale P-47 Thunderbolt PNP bridges the gap between foam and wood pilots perfectly! For the sport and club pilot looking to transition from a foam to balsa/wood aircraft, the new Fun Scale P-47 delivers a Plug-N-Play® completion level model of one of the most popular WWII warbirds ever. Foam RC pilots will be familiar with the brushless outrunner power system that’s compatible with a wide variety of battery options from 4S to 6S and the easy final assembly. It features lightweight balsa and plywood construction with carbon fiber reinforcements and is finished in genuine UltraCote® that’s long lasting and easy to maintain. The two-piece plug-in wings allow for convenient storage, transport and setup. At the workbench, assembly is easy with only common tools needed and no glue required. All you need to do is bolt the model together, install the receiver, charge a battery and fly! Flying a wood warbird aircraft has never been easier. The Hangar 9® Fun Scale P-47 Thunderbolt PNP makes it easy to fly and look good doing it!

Plug-N-Play Completion Level This Plug-N-Play® (PNP) model comes out of the box with a factory-installed power system and servos that are ready to connect to the compatible receiver of your choice (sold separately). Plus, the bolt on tail and wing simplifies and speeds assembly.

Lightweight Construction Laser-cut, lightweight balsa and plywood construction that's expertly built to exacting standards gives the Fun Scale P-47 design exceptional durability. Genuine Hangar 9® UltraCote® covering, factory applied with precision, provides an easy-to-maintain finish that’s vivid no matter how you look at it.

Easy Assembly No glue is required for assembly and you can have the Fun Scale P-47 PNP ready to fly in less time than it takes to charge a battery! The two-piece wing design makes storage and transport as practical and convenient as possible.

Smart Technology The Fun Scale P-47 PNP is equipped with an exclusive Spektrum™ Avian™ Smart ESC that can provide a variety of real-time power system related telemetry data including motor RPM, current, battery voltage and more via compatible receivers and Spektrum AirWare™ equipped transmitters while you fly.

Key Features

• Expertly constructed with lightweight, laser-cut balsa and plywood
  • Plug-N-Play® Completion Level
  • Fits a wide variety of 4S to 6S battery options to provide a wide range of performance and flight times.
  • Two decal sets let you customize the trim in "Wicked Wabbit” or “Hun Hunter" livery
  • No glue required for assembly and can be ready to fly in less time than it takes to charge a battery
  • Painted fiberglass cowl
  • Simulated radial engine included
  • 60-amp Spektrum™ Avian™ Smart ESC provides real-time battery voltage, current, motor RPM and other data via compatible receivers and transmitters
  • Factory-installed 4250-600Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
  • Landing gear doors and pilot for added scale appeal
  • Four factory-installed Spektrum™ A391 servos
  • Large magnetic top hatch makes access to electronics and batteries convenient.
  • Two-piece wing for easier storage, transportation and field assembly
  • Factory-installed electric main retractable landing gear
  • Covered in genuine Hangar 9® UltraCote® film
  • Efficient 14 x 12 wood propeller included for use with 4S batteries (5S and 6S LiPo batteries require a propeller change)

Needed to Complete

• Full-range, 6+ channel transmitter and receiver
  • 4S 14.8V to 6S 22.2V 4000-5000mAh LiPo Battery with EC5™ or IC5® Connector
  • Compatible LiPo charger

Last edited by Jim T.; Oct 22, 2021 at 08:52 AM..
Oct 21, 2021, 03:36 AM
Thread OP
Hangar 9® Fun Scale P-47 Thunderbolt 58.4" PNP (3 min 35 sec)

More videos coming soon!

Quote:
*6S (22.2V) LiPo battery requires a 12x8 propeller. The included 14x12 wood propeller is for 4S (14.8V) LiPo battery operation.
Last edited by Jason M; Oct 22, 2021 at 12:51 AM.
Oct 21, 2021, 06:25 AM
Exactly what I was hoping for!!!!!
Latest blog entry: Pilot for the UMX PT-17
Oct 21, 2021, 07:07 AM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Looks good, what's the suggested prop for 6 cell?
Is this just a scaled down version of the 67" 20cc model? My 20cc flies really nicely
Does the landing gear have suspension?
Looks fast and that's one heck of a roll rate.
Big question is how much is it going to drain my account to have one
Last edited by CR5; Oct 21, 2021 at 07:13 AM.
Oct 21, 2021, 07:38 AM
€540 over here...
Oct 21, 2021, 07:47 AM
$499 in the US, pre-ordered!
Oct 21, 2021, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Looks good, what's the suggested prop for 6 cell?
12x8 for 6S
Oct 21, 2021, 08:37 AM
It looks awful. Calling it Fun Scale is a stretch. It’s a sport plane that somewhat resembles a P-47.
Last edited by HogCrewChief; Oct 21, 2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: …..
Oct 21, 2021, 08:50 AM
Work hard, play hard
I'm a warbirder. I've been on the fence (actually thinking pretty seriously) about getting a nicely sized P-47, with nice scale features. This is not it for me.
Oct 21, 2021, 09:07 AM
Arrowhead
Did not see that coming!

Nice idea, putting out a model as a "foamy to balsa flyer conversion" offering. It's certainly not the most *scale* model out there; the slab sides remind me of the Great Planes A6M Zero that was released shortly before HH bought them up. But I love the fact it's actually a legitimate ARF like the recent Ultra Stik and most foam models. I hate assembling ARFs (tho I do enjoy building kits!).

If I didn't already have a P-47, I might be tempted. This would be a good hangar mate for my H9 P-51 PTS, which is about as "scale" as this Thunderbolt yet one of the most fun planes I've had.

I have a rather odd question given the forum we're in here... how suitable is the model for conversion to glow or gas? There's no hint of that possibility in the marketing or manual.
Oct 21, 2021, 09:35 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
I think it’s perfect for what it’s designed to be. Looks like a warbird, yet will do far beyond scale things like a sport plane.

Yes it’s stand-off scale, but it is unmistakably a P-47.

My $.02

RF
Oct 21, 2021, 09:35 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Sub'd This could get interesting...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Oct 21, 2021, 10:27 AM
Work hard, play hard
I’ll unsub, so that I don’t continue to rain on everyone’s parade. We all come at this hobby differently. Y’all enjoy…
Oct 21, 2021, 10:32 AM
Pro Hoarder
Jeez guys it say fun scale in the title....Get over it....It looks like fun model..I think that is the point
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 21, 2021, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Jeez guys it say fun scale in the title....Get over it....It looks like fun model..I think that is the point
+1,000,000!

This model is NOT intended to be "Extra Scale" like the E-flite P-51 and Fw 190 1.5m models, "Scale" like the Hangar 9 20cc warbird models, or even "Sport Scale" like the Hangar 9 Hellcat 15cc....it's a "Fun Scale" (aka "Stand-Off Scale") model designed to mostly resemble a P-47 while being easier/lower cost to manufacturer and easier to fly. It's certainly not for everyone, and that's ok!

"Fun Scale" models were prevalent back in the 70s, 80s and even into the 90s. The idea was they looked the part(ish) but were easier to build, maintain and fly compared to "more scale" models. They're not as prevalent today, so I understand why some who weren't in the hobby back then might not "get" this product, but the goal of it is essentially the same as the goal of those models back then...except this one is even better because it bolts together in almost no time!!

On a related note, I have very fond memories of my first-ever low-wing airplane from more than 30 years ago -- a Dynaflite .40-sized Fun Scale P-51. Mine had a K&B .40 with a Perry carb sticking up/out of the nose and I literally flew the fixed landing gear off of it That engine would seemingly backfire on occasion, and since the prop shaft was threaded into the crankshaft (rather than being machined into the crankshaft like it is on most engines), the shaft plus prop and spinner would depart the engine in flight from time to time. I'd be ripping by at full throttle, then all the sudden the engine would start to wail because it had no load and you'd see the prop and yellow spinner fly off into the distance...had to kill the engine and land "dead stick" more than once After that happened a few times my dad ended up using red Loctite to install the prop shaft and it never came out again haha (thanks again dad when you read this!)!

Last edited by Jason M; Oct 21, 2021 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply