This thread is privately moderated by Calypso6858, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 20, 2021, 11:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Obscure Airplane Highlight of the Day : Monsted-Vincent MV-1 Starflight

Monsted-Vincent MV-1 Starflight: Speaking of strange looking light transport airplanes, nothing is a lighter transport than the Monsted-Vincent.

In 1948 two WWII Veterans, Robert Monsted and H. Farley Vincent, gave birth to a strange brain child named the Starflight. Built in New Orleans, the Monsted-Vincent was the only four-engined airplane to ever be built in Louisiana. It had four mighty 85hp Continental C-85s in pusher configuration and had seats for six whole people!

The Monsted-Vincent was a very peculiar little airplane. Itís construction could be described as almost barbaric, however it did have some strangely nice features. Firstly, it used 2 position Sensenich ďSkybladeĒ Propellers. It had a retractable gear, although they left gaping holes in the side of the fuselage when they were up. And it had 8 hours of range!!! And I suppose it needed it at 150mph.

The airplane shockingly didnít seem to attract a swarm of buyers even with the upgrade to Continental O-200s of 100hp. The one and only Monsted-Vincent did seem to fly a lot, but it never amounted to much of anything. The Vincent family owned the aircraft all the way until 1982 when they donated it to the Wedell-Williams museum in Patterson, Louisiana. Sadly, the airplane was badly damaged in two hurricanes in 1992 and 2005 and I donít know if the remains are still around but I sure hope they are.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2021, 09:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Actually quite an interesting plane.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Oct 26, 2021, 10:35 AM
I like it!
It looks like a B-36 and a C-133 got together and had a baby!
Oct 26, 2021, 03:15 PM
DFS#000178
It reminds me of a Baumann Brigadier, but bigger. Which is awesome in and of itself.
Oct 27, 2021, 01:03 PM
Zero Expo
It looks like a Waco CG-4 to me.
Oct 27, 2021, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
That one hadn't crossed my mind but now that you say it, I can't unsee it.

Quick Reply