This thread is privately moderated by RaisedByWolves, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 20, 2021, 08:41 PM
RBW's sock puppet account.
Thread OP
Discussion

3d printer filament dry box. Print right from your dry box.

Saw this on cnc kitchen and decided to build it. I actually built it last year, but I needed to make some changes so I figured I would document the whole thing in case anyone wanted to build one.

Filament Dry Box || How to properly store and 3D print Nylon, PC, TPU, PVA... (6 min 46 sec)

First I started with a clear box made by a company called Sterilite that I found at Walmart. The boxes dimensions are 16”l 12”w and 11”h. This box came with a (somewhat) gasketed lid and is big enough for 4 rolls of filament.

I found the rod hanger brackets on thingiverse and the spool holders there also.

Zip file for spool holder attached at bottom of page.

I had to reduce the size of the spool holders down to 80% to get them to fit the spools properly, but after that they printed nicely and fit very tight into the center of the spool.

The spool holders aren't exactly necessary, but they do reduce the rolling resistance of the spool on the rod and also raise the spools up out of the desiccant a bit.

I have a temperature/moisture meter in the box to monitor the humidity, but the box stays dry for at least a year with the 2lb jug of desiccant I put in.

I plan on making this a true reverse Bowden setup to eliminate as much of the filament coming into contact with the air as possible. Again, not necessary, but with some filaments even sitting two weeks exposed without use they get brittle and break.
Last edited by RaisedByWolves; Oct 20, 2021 at 09:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply