Oct 20, 2021, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

my first racing drone build :D

All of the parts that I need for my racing drone have arrived, so I will be updating you all on the progress, and hopefully get some videos of it flying. Will start building/programming later today.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2021, 01:07 AM
Thread OP
I did all of the soldering today, just need to sort out the cable management. Tomorrow I will try to connect the goggles to the VTX. Good thing is is that all of the components work, which means that I soldered everything properly so that is good. I might configure the FC in cleanflight before I try to connect the goggles. Note, when I took the picture attached, I had not connected the camera or VTX, but I will add pictures tomorrow.
Oct 21, 2021, 04:48 AM
Crash tester
Congratulations, Looks good. You'll want to use Betaflight on that, instead of Cleanflight for several reasons:

1. Cleanflight is mostly dead. Betaflight essentially replaced Cleanflight back in 2017, and has had continuous updates since.
2. People actually use Betaflight, so you can get help with it.
3. There is are a huge amount of recent and relevant Youtube tutorials on Betaflight setup and tuning. Joshua Bardwell is the first that comes to mind.
4. The default tune on Betaflight should be good enough to get the quad in the air without catching fire or going into a runaway control loop and flying to the Moon, unlike Cleanflight's defaults.
Oct 21, 2021, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkskunk
Congratulations, Looks good. You'll want to use Betaflight on that, instead of Cleanflight for several reasons:

1. Cleanflight is mostly dead. Betaflight essentially replaced Cleanflight back in 2017, and has had continuous updates since.
2. People actually use Betaflight, so you can get help with it.
3. There is are a huge amount of recent and relevant Youtube tutorials on Betaflight setup and tuning. Joshua Bardwell is the first that comes to mind.
4. The default tune on Betaflight should be good enough to get the quad in the air without catching fire or going into a runaway control loop and flying to the Moon, unlike Cleanflight's defaults.
Ah I see. Good thing is is that I haven't done any configuring yet so I can easily switch to beta flight. Update coming later today.
Oct 22, 2021, 03:08 AM
Thread OP
For those who don't know, this quad was given to me with motors, the FPV camera, ESC's, and PDB.

I got the quad all done today. All of the components work as they should, and to my surprise, connecting the vtx to my goggles was one of the easiest parts. I now understand why people don't really like PWM configurations, all the wires use a lot of space, but I managed to fit everything in the frame.

BetaFlight was giving me a hard time flashing firmware to my FC, so I just went back to CleanFlight.

I have the drone setup in Horizon mode, mainly because I don't feel like setting up Angle mode, but also because I feel that being able to do flips without having to flick a switch is a good thing. I have 6 channels, four for control, one for ARM, and one for flight modes.

After I finally setup the camera focus, I was pleasantly surprised by a very high quality image for an fpv camera in my opinion, and the goggles connecting seamlessly to the VTX without any problems, and the OSD came up too so that is great!

I was a little tight on space in the frame, so I ended up taking the plastic housing off of the receiver and putting one large piece of heat shrink tubing over it, which saved enough space so that I could fit the receiver on top of the FC. I was careful to route the video cable clear of any of the main power cables, and made sure none of the pads were under any excessive stress. I then mounted the VTX on the underside of the roof of the frame in the rear, and attached the top of the frame to the rest of the frame if you like.

The OSD includes a vbat, compass, altimeter, and an artificial horizon (I may have forgotten a thing or two, but those are the ones a remember.)

Unfortunately I didn't get a video of it flying, because I forgot to film it, I will get a video here tomorrow. It flies quite nicely, really nice snappy, responsive throttle control, and it feels nice on all axis of movement.

Components:
AR620 PWM 6CH DSMX Spektrum receiver
EMAX Skyline32 flight controller advanced + OSD (FC has a built in OSD chip)
King Kong PDB (came with the quad)
King Kong 32CH 600MW VTX
Sony 700TVL CCD Camera
4x King Kong BHeli 20A ESC
4x King Kong 2205-2300KV brushless outrunner
Giant Power Dinogy 1400mAh 130c 4s lipo
Carbon fiber frame

My setup:
BetaFPV VR02 FPV goggles
Spektrum DX9 Black Edition
Last edited by Some kid; Oct 22, 2021 at 03:54 AM.
Oct 22, 2021, 10:24 AM
Oh man, you went with a naze32 clone. For Betaflight 3.2.5 was the last version to support a Naze32 / F1 based FC. You can find that here: https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...ses/tag/v3.2.5

Technically Cleanflight 2.5 is newer than Betaflight 3.2.5, but I can tell you, Betaflight is generally better. If you disable the accelerometer, and with it angle and horizon modes, you can save CPU cycles, and run a 2k/2k loop, which will fly better.
Oct 23, 2021, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
I flew the quad at a local park today, was good fun and I got some videos of it. The video in which I go upwards very quickly is the when the drone is on a 4s 1300mAh 130c lipo, and the other one is on a 3s 2200mAh 30c lipo. The slight fluttering you can hear on the 4s clip is because the propellers got damaged when I flew for too long and the drone dropped out of the sky.

I was flying about 5 meters above the ground, and saw that my battery voltage was at 14.5v, so I thought I would do one quick circuit and then land. I took my eyes off of the OSD battery monitor for 10 seconds, and the drone falls out of the sky. At least it wasn't from very high, so practically no damage was done, and I replaced the propellers afterwards. This was with the 4s battery.

What I was really happy about was how nicely the FPV setup worked, good fun swooping between trees. Unfortunately, my goggles to not have a DVI, (or whatever the thing is called that you use to record your FPV footage) so I am unable to upload videos of the FPV footage here.

I was flying rather cautiously in the 3s clip for some reason, and in the 4s clip, I wasn't wearing my goggles so I didn't want to get disoriented hence why I didn't do too much in that clip, the quad turns into a black speck very quickly

I will update again tomorrow, as I am going to the model airplane club then, so I can go very fast

Apologies for the poor video quality, and the kids screaming in the background, I had attracted quite a crowd

4s:
4s quad (1 min 1 sec)

3s:
3s quad (0 min 51 sec)
Oct 23, 2021, 03:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA
Oh man, you went with a naze32 clone. For Betaflight 3.2.5 was the last version to support a Naze32 / F1 based FC. You can find that here: https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...ses/tag/v3.2.5

Technically Cleanflight 2.5 is newer than Betaflight 3.2.5, but I can tell you, Betaflight is generally better. If you disable the accelerometer, and with it angle and horizon modes, you can save CPU cycles, and run a 2k/2k loop, which will fly better.
I will have to test that in Betaflight! The reason I chose the EMAX Skyline32 was because it has a built in OSD and is PWM compatible, which is good because I didn't really want to purchase a new receiver. Whilst those older chips don't have the same future proofing and some of the features that for example an F7 chip would have, it is not as though it will fall out of the sky simply because of the fact it is an older chip. If I were doing serious racing/aerial photography I would certainly have an F405 or F7 chip, and a serial receiver, but I'm not, which is why the Naze32 clone will suffice.

Quick Reply