This thread is privately moderated by Calypso6858, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 20, 2021, 01:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Obscure Airplane Highlight of the Day : Consolidated Liberator Liner

Consolidated Liberator Liner: Lately I’ve been concentrating on airplanes that have a surviving example, but the Liberator Liner is part of a cool genre that doesn’t get much attention these days.

At the beginning of the War, companies were trying to adapt their civilian designs for military use. But near the end of the war, the reverse was happening. Companies knew that when the war ended their military production contracts would be up and they would have to find a civilian market again.

The Liberator Liner was a great example of a company trying to adapt a military design for civilian sales. They took the wings of the B-24 “Liberator” and the tail of the PB4Y and added a rounded fuselage which seated 48 passengers. The first prototype was flown in 1944 before the war was even over and initially they got a contract to build them as a military transport but it was canceled before any production started. A second prototype was built with a different model of Pratt & Whitney 1830s but neither airplane brought any sales in.

One of the airplanes was leased to American Airlines as a freighter and that was the only commercial use the design saw. Unfortunately the concept of using military designs for civilian use was mostly dominated by surplus sales so designs like this didn’t succeed too much. The surplus market sent many of the major aviation names reeling in the post-war era.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2021, 05:26 PM
Pro Hoarder
Looks like the wing was also from the PB4Y. The nacelles are vertical not horizontal like the 24
Last edited by turbonut; Oct 20, 2021 at 05:50 PM.
Oct 20, 2021, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Theoretically the company said it was from the "Liberator" which is where the name came from. But since they actually used engines that weren't on the B-24 or the PB4Y It's hard to tell from the Nacelles. And I think the wings were otherwise identical.
Oct 20, 2021, 08:37 PM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
Great subject - i'll follow this - especially if you start building one

Love those rare and little known planes from history

thanks for posting these

( you should look up the "channel wing" and do a feature on those planes )
Last edited by Rengine; Oct 20, 2021 at 08:50 PM.
Oct 20, 2021, 08:39 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
You do post some interesting stuff. I have never seen this plane before.

There's something about the shape of that fuselage that is subtly disturbing. Looks a bit like the kind of thing Oscar Mayer might have designed to transport the Weiner Mobile.

In a couple of the pictures the top of the fuselage appears to be razor straight. But in most of them it looks a bit like a banana.
Oct 20, 2021, 11:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengine
Great subject - i'll follow this - especially if you start building one

Love those rare and little known planes from history

thanks for posting these

( you should look up the "channel wing" and do a feature on those planes )
I'm actually quite familiar with the Custer Channel wing design because I happen to own one of control line models that Willard Custer built to test the idea of the channel wing. I'll have to grab a picture and post it for you.

Quick Reply