This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 19, 2021, 01:26 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

Tips on using Spackle & Paint - Foam E-Flite P-51D Mustang Dallas Doll German

Hello again, Good People!

This Blog Post is about using today's modern Light Spackle products (in this Blog, I used 3M brand) and Touch-Up Paints (Acrylic) on foam models that are those prized members of our fleet and perhaps more than 10+ years old. This applies to hangar rashes and light crashes as well.

In this example, I am using a model that I recently acquired and learned that I am essentially the fourth (4th) owner and it is known as the E-Flite P-51D Dallas Doll Mustang and customized in German Captured Clothing. This is a good example because the model was customized from the very first (1st) owner way back in 2014.

Here's one post that I found from the First (1st) Owner of this model I am using to provide a better appearance due to time, hangar rash and other issues such as using the wrong type of Paint that damages this foam, for example.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...STALLED/page94

Okay, I have broken down at

Inspection & Preparation:

Just take your time and look over the model carefully. I observed that the Left Top side of the Horizontal Stab was damaged due to the Yellow Paint "Type" used on the customization for having it look as the German Captured Trainer unit. Also, the Side and Bottom frontal FUSE area (Below the Engine Exhaust Blisters) had the same type of damage of contact with the wrong type of paint.

I found some voids (Foam cells that had too much separation) and indentations (handling & Hangar Rash) on some areas of the FUSE and Wings. For purposes of expediency I decided not to do anything with the Bottom Left Hand FUSE area and allowed the Paint itself to fix this damage as much as possible and concentrated on the other areas such as the Top Left Horizontal Stabilizer that had significant foam damage from initial Yellow Paint type application.

Products used:

Okay, I am in no way endorsing any product here and just listing the exact product that I specifically used for the record and nothing more. I am sure other products (brands) would do the same but, not sure of the results.

1. 3M High Strength Small Hole Repair (Drywall Spackle / Primer/ Sanding Pad).
2. BEHR Marquee (Custom Optically Compared Paint from Home Depot) Color Sample Quantity (Used Retract Strut Cover for Optical Capture)
3. Damp Paper Towel to allow a wipe after you applied Spackle in a deep hole.
4. Sanding pad from Item # 1. as listed above.
5. Hobby Paint Brushes - Various sizes (In Paint Section @ Home Depot).
6. Damp Paper Towels of various size.

Process

I am not an expert, however, I have been repairing Foam RC Airplane Models since 2002 when I flew Grand Wing Servo models (GWS) and those were lighter EPS Foam but, much brittle type of foam. I still have various GWS Warbird Models that have been involved in Mid-Air collisions (worse type) and back then, you collected every piece of foam that you can find after a crash.

Today, most Foam models are made from Expanded Polypropylene (EPP) foam which is a highly versatile closed-cell bead foam that provides a unique range of properties, including outstanding energy absorption, multiple impact resistance, thermal insulation, buoyancy, water and chemical (To some degree) resistance, exceptionally high strength to weight ratio (well, you still need wing spars!).

With EPP foam you still have tiny separation of cells from those thin walled areas such as the FUSE sides and Hangar Rash can cause lots of significant nail digging marks, skin Oils when handling and other ugly results. The light weight spackle is the best to allow reforming of the brittle leading edge of the wing for example and lets not forget the voids (tiny holes) and of course foam damage from using the wrong type of paints during attempts to customize the model.

I just cleaned the model with a damp paper towel with some dish soap (Dawn) and cleaned if off with another slightly damp paper towel. After the clean up I observed that the custom yellow paint just got old and dull and looked dirty even after cleanup. I knew right then that I had to repair and repaint almost 55% of the model. The Custom Yellow at the Tail and bottom had a tint of Orange like that of the Bücker Bü 133 Jungmeister another German bi-plane what was used to train back in the 1930's.

The Optical Capture machine at Home Depot came out with a desirable result paint (perhaps not the original that the first owner had in mind) but, nonetheless a more desirable to the eyes (at least for me), to apply all over the existing custom yellow. I did this without the benefit of taking down the existing decals, especially the swastika decal. Why? Because when I was a boy, I could not afford RC and did plastic and U-Control models and that training you never forget. So, if you are not a modeler then, my methods perhaps would be hard to attain and attempt, I don't know, it depends on your skill level as a modeler.

SUMMARY:

I can say with certainty that the results have been beyond my expectations using this modern day Speckle and Sample Container Paint mixed from the Optical Capture machine. The paint is more on the thick side and semi-gloss that allows to go into the tiny voids and makes the surface continuous and smooth, even without any spackle. When Spackle is used the use of a damp paper towel is paramount to give the surrounding area a clean surface and paint is only adhered over the post cured Spackle and of course after a light sanding.

I am sharing pictures with comments for your review and hope this helps some here.
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 20, 2021 at 06:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply