Making a 50 Engined RC Airplane (30 ft Wingspan)

Check out the crazy creation from Foam and Tape!!!!

Splash

50 Engines!

RCGroups very own Foam and Tape has been creating super inventive RC craft since 2007 (and probably longer). Here is a super cool video from his Youtube channel highlighting a recent craft!

Foam and Tape...

Thanks to everyone who helped out with this project! FliteTest Sam Foskuhl Clayton Payne

Thanks also to BuddyRC for the Glacier Lipo Batteries https://www.buddyrc.com

Making 50 Engined RC Airplane (30 ft Wingspan) (17 min 0 sec)

Thread Tools
Oct 21, 2021, 09:50 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
eflightray's Avatar
It would be interesting to here how much the flight characteristics change between all the motors running and and only some, especially if some of those motors and some batteries could also be removed to reduce weight.

It's quite amazing just how big an electric powered plane can fly on so little power --

Spectacular HUGE RC plane. 16 square meter wing SLOW MFK FALKEN (11 min 23 sec)


.
Oct 22, 2021, 10:11 AM
Registered User
Angelo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
It's quite amazing just how big an electric powered plane can fly on so little power --
Now THAT was way cool. One big motor is a lot more efficient than 50 small ones - although "big" is a relative term, that motor looks tiny for what it's flying.

On the 50 motor plane, at first I thought he was in a partial stall, causing the lack of response, but his thought that it was caused by the wing twisting from the aileron loads seems to be bourne out by the video. Too bad he didn't realize this in flight, if he used opposite aileron (right aileron to correct the right bank), he might have saved it!
Oct 22, 2021, 08:44 PM
Fly, Crumple, fly...
Crumple's Avatar

What Could Be More 'Cray-Cray'?


50 motors/props

what could be crazier? - 24 EDF's!

Aurora XV-24 LightningStrike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora...ightningStrike

thrust produced as a by-product of noise and heat?


maybe it was just to prove why (someone's 'good idea') shouldn't be done...

but I can hear someone cutting foam, etc, already... if you build one - pics n vids pls
Oct 22, 2021, 08:56 PM
Fly, Crumple, fly...
Crumple's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
It's quite amazing just how big an electric powered plane can fly on so little power --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfEr3H2GhyY

.
indeed - big AND slow... like the Helios family

slow = efficient - wonder if the wife will believe me?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroVi...lios_Prototype
Oct 23, 2021, 03:45 AM
Fly, Crumple, fly...
Crumple's Avatar
he's making 'right sounding sounds', but is he doing the right actions?

examples -
12:20 - takes off, climbs slowly, flies level - but he then keeps it low...

12:49 - 'I'm at half throttle... initiating turn...' - it's slow, near stall, he says 'tail heavy' (12:57) - so why not increase throttle?

13:30 - 'it's not rolling out of this...' - because it's got zero dihedral - will need opposite aileron, but they aren't deflecting...

there's more -
he's just guessed CG? it's so easy to calc for that planform...
GG takes 24hr to cure - how long did he wait?...

still, a crash makes better video
and these guys are all about the spectacle, not technical excellence like the Falken...
sadly others think, and will think, this is how it should be done
Last edited by Crumple; Oct 23, 2021 at 04:08 AM.
Oct 23, 2021, 04:03 AM
Fly, Crumple, fly...
Crumple's Avatar

Here's Another - Ramy - 787 Crash


low, slow, full-flaps... and then a tight banking turn...

guess what happens?

key moments: 4:50 to 5:30 (beware the f-bomb)

a maiden, with no flight plan...


BRUTAL CRASH, The last flight of my new RC Boeing 787 (12 min 31 sec)
Oct 23, 2021, 10:09 AM
Registered User
Angelo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumple
low, slow, full-flaps... and then a tight banking turn...

guess what happens?

key moments: 4:50 to 5:30 (beware the f-bomb)

a maiden, with no flight plan...
It was not the maiden, it had been flown successfully before.

The flaps had been retracted prior to the event and crash.

And, even though the pilot thinks he was too slow, I think what happened was a high-speed tip stall. Stall is a function of angle of attack, not speed, even at high speed you can still stall a wing if you pull back too quickly and the relative angle of attack becomes too high. This plane has a LOT of taper, the wing tips have a lot less chord than inboard. Unless you put several degrees of washout in the tips, they will be prone to tip stalling.

It was eerie looking at the crash sequence, because that is EXACTLY what happened to my E-Flite Osprey. I was in a turn, then the bank suddenly steepened and it went right in. I was turning, but I was getting near the end of the field, so I added more aileron and then more elevator to coordinate. At that point, the bank steepened and it went in. I was not flying slowly, it had plenty of speed, but I now believe that it was a high speed stall, caused by too much elevator.
Oct 24, 2021, 01:57 AM
Fly, Crumple, fly...
Crumple's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
It was not the maiden, it had been flown successfully before.

The flaps had been retracted prior to the event and crash.

And, even though the pilot thinks he was too slow, I think what happened was a high-speed tip stall. Stall is a function of angle of attack, not speed, even at high speed you can still stall a wing if you pull back too quickly and the relative angle of attack becomes too high. This plane has a LOT of taper, the wing tips have a lot less chord than inboard. Unless you put several degrees of washout in the tips, they will be prone to tip stalling.

It was eerie looking at the crash sequence, because that is EXACTLY what happened to my E-Flite Osprey. I was in a turn, then the bank suddenly steepened and it went right in. I was turning, but I was getting near the end of the field, so I added more aileron and then more elevator to coordinate. At that point, the bank steepened and it went in. I was not flying slowly, it had plenty of speed, but I now believe that it was a high speed stall, caused by too much elevator.
thanks Angelo - I'm with you - tip stall, high AOA
flying a scale model thru non-scale manoeuvres
full-size - they don't just keep it sedate , so you don't spill your drinks (bought or free)...
Oct 25, 2021, 12:54 PM
Hiigaran member
Lone Yankee's Avatar
WoW!
Oct 26, 2021, 05:43 AM
Registered User
edwen303's Avatar
Perhaps just ten bigger motors and bigger props would give better airflow/lift on such large wing... Get some wood spar for rigidity.

How about motors in front of the vertical stabilizers?

Fun!
Oct 26, 2021, 05:50 AM
Registered User
edwen303's Avatar
One more idea, use some cables to maintain the geometries of wing and tail, just like pre-WWI era models, considering the lack of rigidity in the airframe. I can see that, right before the crash, the left wing simply gave in to the frontal air (kinda "wash-in", too much angle of attack) and stalled...
Oct 26, 2021, 11:17 AM
Registered User
i was there when this happened peters a nice guy


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Hookll PT-17 Biplane 1200mm Wingspan EPO RC Airplane KIT/PNP Scaled Fixed-wing Zoomed Merch Banggood.com 4 May 31, 2021 06:06 AM
Build Log ELE RC Tiger Moth 480mm Wingspan EPO Biplane RC Airplane KIT Mephi Parkflyers 13 Aug 09, 2017 09:57 PM
New Product ELE RC Tiger Moth 480mm Wingspan EPO Biplane RC Airplane--Seeking reviewers BG Tobey Micro Ready-to-Fly 29 Jun 27, 2017 12:29 AM
Discussion HobbyKing PT-17 vs FMS PT-17 vs EFlite PT-17 15e seeking opinions and experiance. loserdave Electric Plane Talk 5 Apr 13, 2016 03:37 PM