This thread is privately moderated by GonzoBorinquen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 19, 2021, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FW 190 A with 3W 70i

After this engine test, the engine started to give problems. In this startup process, the engine had to be above half throttle to start. After troubleshooting, replacing the muffler to have access to the idle needle and opening it a bit, the engine continued with the same fault. Would not start at idle or with throttle below half travel.
After a while, it stopped starting at all. Fuel was getting to the combustion chamber. As a matter of fact it was very wet with gas. Checked the spark and it was very weak. The battery voltage was perfect. Eliminated the ignition switch to insure that the juice got directly to the ignition.
Just purchased a new CH ignition and will try it next week. Hope that was the problem.

A video of the FW 190 A "Schneewittchen" taxing while the engine still ran.

Blanca Nieves (2 min 28 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2021, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Bought a CH Ignition to install in FW 190 Switneewittchen. Spark is loud and powerfull comparedto the faulty ignition. The faulty ignition spark did not make any noise at all. Tha's the "crack"normally heard when the spark jumps.

Adjusted the ignition timing to 30degrees BTDC. Will test next wednesday. Hope this fixes the engine starting problem.
Nov 03, 2021, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Today I tested the 3W70i with its new CH Ignition and it worked fine. It strated on the 1st try and reved up well. Had to fine adjust the high end and idle needle so the engine would peak and work perfectly.
The timing adjustement seems to be on its perfect setting since the engine responds without hesitation and also the engine temperature its in the ball park area.

Did not fly maiden since I forgot at home the cowling install screws and the cowling is part of the CG setting. Will maide, God permit, next wednesday.

Video of todays test taken by friend and modeler Rafael Badillo.

November 3, 2021 (1 min 41 sec)

Quick Reply