Oct 18, 2021, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help ID a vintage 2M plane?

I built this plane back in the mid to late 70's, probably between 74 and early 79. I thought it was a Gentle Lady, but it does not have tapered outer panels on the wing, it's constant chord.

It's got new radio gear in it, a 30A ESC, a small 22-20 size (I think..) motor, and a 9/6 folder on it now. I flew it some back then off a hi-start, possibly with a Cox .049, and at one point it may have had an OS .10 on the nose.

I dug it out of storage a while back, put the new stuff in it, and actually flew it yesterday for a while. Need to add quite a bit of down thrust, and fiddle with the CG some - but right now I'm just trying to sort out what kit it might have been .

Thanks for looking,

Fizz
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2021, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
I've been looking on outerzone - it is quite possibly a Bridi Soar Birdy 2M
Oct 18, 2021, 08:42 PM
B for Bruce
A side view showing the fin shape would nail it down. In the meantime here's a link to the Soar Birdi (birdy is the wrong spelling and it didn't turn up).

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10400
Oct 18, 2021, 10:50 PM
A side view pix would definitely help, although the wing and horizontal fin build do look like the Soar Birdy's.

Looks like Outerzone's spelling is off on this one, a rare occurrence.
Oct 19, 2021, 03:03 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Hi. Just stumbled across this thread. Ok, point taken. Have just changed the spelling on that Outerzone entry now to "Soar Birdy". Thanks for the feedback. We were using "Birdi" as that's how the kit manual pages were printed - see attached jpg. But clearly that's not the point, if the box art, etc etc were different. So "Birdy" it is, then
Oct 19, 2021, 08:26 AM
Going in circles.
Bridi, birdi, birdy. It's all so confusing.
Oct 19, 2021, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
I meant to get a pic of the side this AM, but got busy and then had to leave for work. I'll try to get a pic, but from what I see from the outerzone plans (thanks!) It looks like it's a Soar Birdy.

Any idea when those were kitted?
Oct 19, 2021, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
My sister found a photo in one of our mom's albums showing me holding the plane, and looking at the house in the background, etc - it was very likely the winter of 74/75 when i was holding it. After that, I was away at college, and I didn't start flying RC until 73, with a rebuilt Sterling Fledgling that a club member made a deal on - he didn't want to fix it, and I had time.
Oct 19, 2021, 10:30 PM
B for Bruce
A quick scan of the supplementary files at Outerzone showed that Bridi made a few changes based on the RCM review effective April 1978. The reference is in the "Manufacturer's feedback" at the end of the RCM review article.

I don't know how long the kit had been out prior to the review. But from your guess of winter 74/75 to 78 seems like a long time.
Oct 19, 2021, 10:39 PM
More I think about it, beginning to like 'Bridi's Soar Birdi.'

From Worthpoint, found the uncommon monochromatic box label below. First run, or last?
Oct 21, 2021, 10:03 PM

SoarBirdy It Is

Found on the web.
Oct 21, 2021, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
I hadn't gotten around to a picture of the fin, but under the white monokote it has that same structure. Hoping to get a chance to fly it again before too long!
Oct 29, 2021, 02:00 AM
Hey Fizzwater! Great to see you over here in the Sailplanes forum, welcome!! I’ve been spending a lot of time with scale sailplanes these days.
Cheers,
Rick
Oct 29, 2021, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
last weekend our grandson was at the house, and I didn't get a chance to get it back out. SInce then it's been rainy and windy - hopefully this weekend is nice. I need to move the CG forward some, (it was about 3/8" behind where it should be, now that I know it's a Soar Birdy and not a Gentle Lady.. ) and add some downthrust. Let's just say that it wasn't relaxing flying that first time out.

3/8" too far back on one of my pylon race planes would have been a disaster. Glad this one wasn't!
Oct 30, 2021, 10:45 PM
Bridi related: Does anyone have a source of plans for a Kraft kit, 2m Wind Surfer by Joe Bridi??

Quick Reply