What the Heck Wednesday - 3 Motors in the Dirt

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video by Youtuber Petrincic Bros RC showing off an admittedly pretty cool looking plane from Eachine that they modded to make it a 3 motor aircraft.

Splash

What the Heck Happened Here?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video by Youtuber Petrincic Bros RC showing off an admittedly pretty cool looking plane from Eachine that they modded to make it a 3 motor aircraft. It has two tractor motors and one pusher and it appears to fly great as seen early on in the video. Then something bad happens at the 9:38 mark and it didn't end well for the experimental aircraft. He makes a pass and pulls up into a loop. I'm not sure if he made the first roll at the top or if it was a stall that got worse.

So after watching the video and seeing the crash, what do you think happened?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Oct 20, 2021, 09:27 AM
MK
MK
Unfortunate but what a great attitude and spirit after the crash.
Oct 20, 2021, 11:28 AM
Admin Deluxe
Best accent ever.
Oct 20, 2021, 12:19 PM
B for Bruce
He throttled back a little just before going over the top. That appears to be the initial cause of the falling off into the spin.

More importantly though it eagerly went into the spin. We can see the spin entry speed up quickly after the initial pivoting of the wings. And all that with, I assume, no input from the pilot that did not intend to do a spin. And it pretty clearly didn't show any signs of reducing the spin rate during the final plummet.

Thankfully it is a fairly rare thing to find a model that strongly wants to maintain a spin with no inputs. But this model has (had) the unfortunate combination of what it needed to remain stubbornly in the spin. With more altitude he could likely have recovered. But not that close and with a model intent on staying in the spin.

First step for the thankfully rare times I've run into such a model is to put in some down elevator to reduce the angle of attack of the wing so it get's back to flying properly. Then it's a slow easy pullout to avoid another stall. And that takes a lot more height than he had to work with.
Oct 20, 2021, 02:54 PM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
No air speed=no control.

It sounded like he hit the throttle on the way down to get some air over the control surfaces but it was not enough.
Oct 20, 2021, 04:29 PM
Graveyard spin; don't touch ailerons, and move rudder in opposite direction of spin. If you're high enough, it will recover...,. next, inspect shorts for spotting and sphincter-bitten holes!
Oct 21, 2021, 07:57 AM
Too bad as it looked like it was flying great. That wing didn't like that angle of attack and wing loading. At some point it probably would have done the same thing while turning down wind while slowing it down for a landing. It was pretty abrupt!
Oct 27, 2021, 09:30 AM
dare to be dull
In this case, more power made more wing loading. And thrust does not negate the effects of the extra mass.
Nov 25, 2021, 05:21 PM
It isn't the mistake that causes the crash, it's the time it takes to realize that it was a mistake.

Altitude, altitude, my fiend before doing aerobatics, one mistake to low.

Quick Reply