Oct 18, 2021, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Flitzebogen 3

Flitz 3
Last Thursday Andrey Yakovlevīs Aeromodelis LT released the new and long waited Flitzebogen 3 dlg.
It has been tested since last spring by some European pilots. I have been one of them here in Finland, thanks to Andrey.
During the test period, there has come some modifications to the elevator and the produktion models have now little increased area, so the center of cravity moved some millimeters aft. It is now at 71 mm. It has flown from 68 to 72 mm. I feel this 71 mm is good for me.
After two months testing period I am very happy with Flitz 3.
The most significant difference between older Flitz 2 and Flitz 3 is huge launch and really good penetration in windy conditions.
My glider and I believe also other test gliders has very strong structure with spread tow laminate and very stiff spar, so weights has been around 240 to 245 grams. With this weight flying is very easy even on harder winds. I think itīs just suitable weight for Finnish weather conditions.
Usually I have used ballast after 5 m/s winds and for harder winds I put 25 g. Two weeks ago I was flying with Tommy Wee in heavy conditions, even over 10 meters per second wind. Tommy flew with 45 grams and I used 65 grams ballast. Not any troubles with my Flitz, but Tommy said it would had some more, maybe 65 g ballast for this wind. I have ballasts from 25, 45, 65 to 95 grams. Never used this 95 g yet. My ballasts are adjustable, so I can set the CG just right with every ballast.
Thermal flying is as easy as before with incredible thermal quality glider Flitz 2.
Flitz 3 has two piece wing and it has removable wing joiner. This allows to use different dihedrals for wing.
I have used 6,5 and 7,0 degrees joiners and my favourite is seven degrees joiner. Flitz 3 curves so nicely with it.
Wing servos has installed just to the wing root to ready made servo boxes from the wing root. You only need to glue the aileron horns to ready made channels and put the ready bent pushrod to its hole. After this you only need to connect the pushrod to the servo and screw the servo its ready made box. It can not be easier.
Servoīs universal connector works as wing connector to the fuselage. You only glued it to itīs place as in the picture.
There is a six pin row connector in the fuselage , which is ready soldered with leads by Aeromodelis. Only some epoxy glue to ready made case on the wing saddle and connector is on right angle.
Fuselage installation is as easy as usually. Fuselage is very slim and short, but there is enough space for everything without any problems. I am using Turnigy 300mAh 2S lipos.
Servos in the wings are KST X 08. I am not sure how MKS servos fits to servoplaces.
In the fuselage I recommend to use new KST X06 servos
Sooo easy job to install!

I love this glider!
Last edited by jukka; Oct 18, 2021 at 07:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2021, 07:23 AM
Thread OP
More pics!
Oct 18, 2021, 07:55 AM
Thread OP
I forget something.
https://aeromodelis.lt/Flitz-3-products-c120608251

It seems that Flitz 3 is out of stock at the moment.
Oct 18, 2021, 09:13 AM
F3B and F3K
I have seen Oleg fly the Flitz 3 at two contests now, with one being the US teamselections. Especially the teamselects had many rounds with a competitive field, so the plane had to prove itself over an over again. He performed very well flying the Flitz 3.

It is from what I could oberve a very impressive plane. It has a very good launch, but it still floats well, despite the very thin wing. Especially towards the tips the wing is extremely thin.

In addition, Oleg's plane was not particularly light, but it still appeared to do well in calm conditions.

So congrats to Benjamin Rodax for the aero design, this seems to be a good compromise between a slippery airplane, yet still having sufficient lift reserves.

What I have seen on the engineering side, Andrey did some fantastic CAD and moulding work. There are many beautiful details, such as a recess in the fuselage that receives a pocket moulded into the wings, which secures the wing halves against the lateral launch loads.

Also the molded in pocket for the servos at the root is a great innovation. The closest other example are the Jaro Mueller planes (Egida, Eldorado, etc) which have pockets at the root where you insert the servos.

Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Oct 18, 2021, 09:27 AM
Here is mine. X06 in fuselage, X08 in wings. Round Turnigy 650mAh +some noseweight. A very good dlg, slippery but still floats well.

244 grams now, balance at 71 mm. With ballast 70 mm. Strong and stiff airframe, floats well. No need for a lighter one up here I think. Always some wind, no lift days very rare.

Tommy
Oct 18, 2021, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukka
I forget something.

It seems that Flitz 3 is out of stock at the moment.
Aeromodelis site has updated and much more information available.
Also store is open.

Oct 18, 2021, 10:14 AM
Very cool! Been curious about it ever since I heard about the multiple angles you can choose for the wing. Are the wing bolt holes elongated to fit the screws in at the different angles? And how does it handle the void between the wing/wing saddle when angle is changed?
Oct 18, 2021, 01:44 PM
iVoid Warranties
I have been waiting for someone to use the root insertion system on a DLG for a while now. I designed a plane a few years back (didn't make it off the paper) that had a similar system, though it was admittedly more complex due to the wing being 1 piece. I would be curious if RDS could be done this way reasonably. The classic issue with RDS is inaccessible/ hard to remove servos. This system would solve that.

Great looking plane, and excellent engineering.
Oct 18, 2021, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Very cool! Been curious about it ever since I heard about the multiple angles you can choose for the wing. Are the wing bolt holes elongated to fit the screws in at the different angles? And how does it handle the void between the wing/wing saddle when angle is changed?
Hi Thomas.

You are not the first, who ask same.
I have wondered same thing.
How can it fit with different angle joiners?
I can't see any difference between the fuselage saddle and wing bottom.

Wing bolt holes have normal tolerance. They are even tighter than in many other glider wings.

They only go together so easily.
Oct 18, 2021, 03:53 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Very nice, my rebuilt Flitz2 (bought it heavily damaged) performs extremely well even though it's over 300g without ballast. Can't imagine how well an updated and undamaged Flitz3 would perform.
Not an option for me right now as I just bought a BAMF2 not long ago and am extremely happy with it but after playing with my Flitzenstein I have great respect for the design and engineering that goes into these models.

Looking forward to more flight reports and videos
Last edited by CR5; Oct 21, 2021 at 07:16 AM.
Oct 18, 2021, 04:10 PM
iVoid Warranties
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Are the wing bolt holes elongated to fit the screws in at the different angles?
Assuming an 8.5mm thick wing (wild assumption based on servo thickness), the amount of elongation is .074mm for the angle change, which is likely well within tolerance for a 3mm bolt hole, especially if you have 2 bolts per wing.

Quote:
And how does it handle the void between the wing/wing saddle when angle is changed?
Assuming a 24mm wide fuselage (another wild assumption based off .1 inch pin spacing) the amount of gap is .05mm, which is less gap at the edge of the saddle than some planes I own. The way the fuselage is designed probably also helps, with it's "lips" in the saddle taking the launch loads, and the cavity in the saddle allowing for some dihedral change. I suppose if someone was really concerned about it, they could put a piece of Kapton tape on each side, though that is a little too thick, as Kapton tape is .06mm thick.
Oct 18, 2021, 04:16 PM
It'll be interesting to see how it was resolved in person later.

I've tried different angle joiners on the BAMF 2 and the saddle needs shimming to make it sit properly, enough so that we decided to make a separate wing mold for the higher dihedral wings as I couldn't think of a way to solve it.

The Flitz team does good work, so it'll be cool to see how they've done it.
Oct 18, 2021, 05:21 PM
I am actually using a 6.5 degree joiner on the BAMF 2. It seems to track a bit better.
Oct 19, 2021, 11:37 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Glad to see that the information has been made public!

I have been enjoying my test samples of Flitz3 for a few months now, and have a huge respect for the aero designer (Rodax) and of course for the engineering design of the plane (Andrey). The flight performance is outstanding.

I am proud to announce that I will be importing Flitz3 for the USA/Canada customers and will have the ordering form set up shortly.

I am working with Andrey on the 'official' assembly manual at the moment.
I will also share my build pictures here of course.
Stay tuned!..

--

Quick Reply