Old Apr 28, 2002, 10:13 PM
Van
Find More Posts by Van
Van

A new scale plane? Suggestions on what to design.

I've been thinking about starting a project of designing a plane. I've built a number of kits, so now I'd like to make my own. I'm becoming very proficient with CAD and would like to design something to make into a high quality laser cut kit.

Here's the question: what plane to make? I'm thinking of something that's in the speed 400 range. We've got Peter with his excellent vintage kits, and we've got Jim making a bunch of war birds (although someone pointed out that they are all Allies' aircraft).

What do people want to see? What planes are we missing a kit for? The good news is my CAD skills are far better than my flying skills, so complexity doesn't scare me off. I was thinking of maybe a Zero, a DC-3, Velocity (canard), or something on those lines.

This is, of course, a long term project. I imagine it'll take months of spare time to come up with a good, strong, easy to build design...
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2002, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by Gerald
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
How about something from "Golden Age" era? A nice racer, or radial engined highwing monoplane.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Leave me alone!
AH-1 Skyraider? Cessna 337 Skymaster? Pilatus Porter? F7F Tigercat? B-25 Mitchell? B-26 Marauder? A-26 Invader? Just a few ideas...
Old Apr 29, 2002, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Super Senior Member
Travel Air Mystery Ship
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by tolladay
fix-it-up chappie
How bout a de Havilland Venom? It was a great looking little fighter; basically a Vampire with a thinner wing and a better looking canopy. You could go with a pusher speed 400, or maybe make a EDF version. I've got a few plans for it (1 a freeflight edf, and another a modified sloaper), but haven't seen any kits at all.

Anyway, it's on my list to build, when ever I get the time.

Another unusual plane would be the Saab J-21. This is a cool looking plane. It was a pusher with a split tail, that was used near the end of WWII. Later they put a jet engine in it, so you could design it pusher or edf as well.

Another plane I want to build (this one a little sooner) is the FW-200 Condor. I want to build the early transport version (like Hitler used to get around in at the beginning of the war), not the ship killer version with that funky off-center gondola on the bottom. For some reason the nose of this plane reminds me of a dolphin.

My next scrap project will probably be the Condor, as it suits my limmited flying ability better than the fighters. And I've been itching to build a multi-engine plane since I got into electrics. I'm still not sure about the size yet. 4 speed 400s seams a little big to me, and 4 GWS DX-A motors (from the TM) might swing too big a prop. I'd like to go geared because the sound will be a little more authentic; DD motors whine too much to fake those big radial engines. Any Ideas?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:53 AM
Find More Posts by doug_or
T-34 mentor- speed 300 (or 400), could make a good scale aileron trainer. maybe to versions- 34A for 300, and 34C (which was a turbine powred version) for speed 400.

DH-90 (86, or 88). Great looking twin biplane that could make good use of some smaller engines (m100s?)

Dorner 228- modernish twin turboprop airliner with a good amount of wing area. also a high winger, so good for prop clearance if mde without landing gear.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by Robbie d
Crazy Cessna Owner
How about a Lagg-3. A nice looking russian fighter from ww2. what about a rockwell commander or a beechcraft bonanza.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Ah-1 Skyraider would be great or maybe a OV-2 push pull like they used in nam called the "Bird Dog" like in the movie BAT21.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Leave me alone!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hopperfly22
Ah-1 Skyraider would be great or maybe a OV-2 push pull like they used in nam called the "Bird Dog" like in the movie BAT21.
OV-2 aka Cessna 337 Skymaster... what I said So it's 2 votes for the 337... do it!
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:33 PM
Van
Find More Posts by Van
Van
I don't think I've ever seen a Cessna Skymaster before (I just looked it up on the net.) Quite an interesting looking thing... but just might be right up my alley!

As a twin S400, probably something in the neighborhood of a 45" wing span? Would the rear engine be counter rotating, or just put the prop on backwards?

Does anyone have a 3 view drawing to get some basic measurements off of? I found this one:
Old Apr 29, 2002, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by Ron Daniels
Both motors run same rotation. Rear one uses a pusher prop.

Torque is pretty much cancelled.

If I'm not mistaken, the full scale uses a 76" prop on one of the engines, and a 78" prop on the other.

First powered plane I ever had was a Cox Skymaster control line. I never did learn to fly that thing.

Ron Daniels
Old Apr 29, 2002, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Heli Bouncer
There is the Velie Monocoupe which had a whole bunch of variants, and there is the also ran Star Cavelier which looked a lot like a Monocoupe. I have to agree with Gerald about Golden Age aircraft, but I really like WWI planes. Maybe you should do a Caldron from WWI.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by dizza
There is a Skymaster out there that is for IC. It was designed by Wendell Hostetler, has a 119" WS. Possibly able to scale it down to an electric size? He has a lot of nice planes.

http://www.aero-sports.com/whplans/cessna.html

david
Old Apr 30, 2002, 06:10 AM
Find More Posts by max z

Would the rear engine be counter rotating, or just put the prop on backwards?

I would do both, pusher props for electrics are as rare as hen's teeth.
Are you thinking of retracts? The rearward retracting mains would be quite a challenge, especially if fitted with doors which are closed with gear up OR down!
A long time ago I built an excellent 1/48 plastic kit of the 337, forgot what the brand was though.

Max.
Last edited by max z; Apr 30, 2002 at 06:13 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by ChrisP
Master
Hmmmmm....
If you're looking for some degree of commercial success I'd stay away from a twin 400 powered Skymaster as there is already a very good one out there (of Czech manufacture) :
http://www.paf-flugmodelle.de/Katalo.../Skymaster.htm

I would have thought that something like a Northrop P 61 Black Widow would go down very well.
Last edited by ChrisP; Apr 30, 2002 at 08:56 AM.